kiddkaotikk

03 trx400ex help

Was trying to push this thing into the garage and the rear wheels will not move. Drive sprocket moves so it in N. Took rear caliper off so it's not the brakes. Cannot seem to figure what else could be hung up. Any help is appreciated. Tryna get it going again.

I would bet the rear axle carrier bearings are bad. Put the quad up on a jack stand and grab the rear tire and see if it has alot of up and down play.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, SlammedRanger said:

I would bet the rear axle carrier bearings are bad. Put the quad up on a jack stand and grab the rear tire and see if it has alot of up and down play.

No play up and down about 1/4" play forward and backwards before it locks up.

You said drive sprocket moves. So you must have removed the chain already? If not the 1/4 inch forward and reverse would indicate it is in gear. Unless the chain is removed and you can spin the drive sprocket freely. You will have some slop back and forth even when in gear. It wont like lock solid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

You said drive sprocket moves. So you must have removed the chain already? If not the 1/4 inch forward and reverse would indicate it is in gear. Unless the chain is removed and you can spin the drive sprocket freely. You will have some slop back and forth even when in gear. It wont like lock solid.

I originally thought it was in gear as it's hard to hit neutral without it running and the slack also led me to believe it was in gear. Took master link out drive sprocket spun free chain guard was preventing chain from comin off so I put master link back in. I jacked rear end up off the ground and it finally freed up after rocking the axel back and forth ALOT I believe it's just rusty bearings. Will tear down and see.

• Like 1

Yep it was gunked up carrier bearings. After that I had a bad connection at the four prong connector near the battery. No spark. Took forever to find but now I have spark. Carb was horrible cleaned out carb a few times due to overflowing (still overflows here and there) and she runs and runs decent although I can't "gun" the throttle or it falls on it's face doesnt do it in higher gears as bad but first and second if I gun it, it will die, I can get in it pretty fast just can't go from nothing to wide open. Figure it's carb/jet related but I honestly don't know. Has had hmf pipe put on since before I bought it more than a few years ago I'm assuming it's jetted it ran great for for a few years then sat for awhile. I counted turn in on af screw (2 1/2) before I took apart and cleaned the first time and after 3 or 4 more times taking the carb off and on it's still seems to be carb related. Talking in circles and frustrated lol.

Sounds like a few things. You will want to put a 42 pilot jet in it. Probably running a stock 38 with the mixture at 2.5. Your goal is the 1.5-2 area. And anything above 3 is telling you to up the pilot jet a few sizes. I would also suggest dropping the clip on the needle one slot. When you start having off idle bog its usually not getting enough fuel. AKA lean bog.