DeTaylor

FCU - odd issue

So I’m still chasing down my overheating issue. Starting to think it’s all electrical. I hard wired my fan to do some testing and here is what I’m finding. Fan does not run unless I apply downward pressure to the harness connectors on the FCU. Never seen anything like this. I have two different FCUs and both are doing the same thing.

i tried putting a little dielectric grease in there to see if it was potentially a bad connection and it made no difference. 

Thoughts??

video attached. 

Maybe you have a pin loose in the connector 

Remove the FCU and use a multimeter to test which it is

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

Maybe you have a pin loose in the connector 

Remove the FCU and use a multimeter to test which it is

Can’t believe I didn’t even think of this. Will definitely do this tomorrow. Thanks!

• Like 1

The pins lock in using little barbs. Your local electric shop sells pin removal tools. 

So I went through the effort of tearing all the pins out and they all look good. I have no clue where to even start next. I’m still having the same issue. The FCU is hard wired to the battery ground currently and I’m still only able to get the fan to turn on with downward pressure to the connectors like shown in the above video. 

anyone have an idea where to look next?

• There should be a splice to the green ground in that 4/wire FCU harness. Maybe when you pull on it, it reestablishes that connection.

I would try following that ground wire back to the main harness to see if i could find the splice. Then pinch that area to see if i got same intermittent fan

C61DE84F-0639-484F-82BD-B8D143956F93.jpeg

Edited by Goober

Have you tried pushing on each individual wire with a pair of needle nose to see if just one single wire will make the fan come on?

@Goober this is extremely helpful. Thank you so much! I’m willing to bet you are right since when I twist the harness it also kicks in sometimes. 

Just now, toodeep said:

Have you tried pushing on each individual wire with a pair of needle nose to see if just one single wire will make the fan come on?

Yes. No consistency once so ever. 

Then next i would check that light blue power wire connector. Maybe slightly bend the pins so the connection is improved 

• Like 1

And check the pink connector for power while your moving the connector 

Edited by Goober

Just now, Goober said:

And check the pink connector for power

I can confirm that all the pins and connectors are good. 

• Like 1