86trx350a

87 350D Restoration

Hello all! Just picked up this 87 350D a few weeks ago, going to restore it for my daughter to use.  Stripping her down and ran across some of the usual frozen bolts, hacked wiring and such.  I've stumbled across a problem that I haven't encountered yet.  This old girl had the nastiest carburetor I've ever ran across.  Everything was coated with a thick green crust that even my ultrasonic cleaner wouldn't budge. Got it somewhat better, bought a Shindy rebuild kit, but the only part I'm having trouble with is the enricher plunger. Its seized in the carb body.  I drilled a hole in the top of it, screwed a sheetrock screw into it, tried to pry it out, and it broke in half around where the o-ring sits. So I still have half of it stuck in the carb body. Anyone have any insight as to get the remainder out? I've soaked it in cleaner, wd40, free-all, and it seems to be fused into the carb body...   

Thanks! 

Here's some before pics for those who like them!

350D_1.jpg

350D_2.jpg

350D_3.jpg

350D_4.jpg

• Like 2

Blue is rare from what I been told ---  your plastics look decent for their age  ----  I have had some enrichment plungers stuck really hard on me before , the drill /  screw trick with Aero-Kroil usually works for me -----   you can try a heat gun and warm up the carb body some ,   drill another hole and screw a screw into what is left of the plunger ------  

Just saying  , I know guys who's bikes are snorkeled , they fill the plunger cavity/ journal with silicone and block it off and choke their engines by putting their hand over the snorkel  pipe 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've always liked the blue, the fenders look ok from a distance, but unfortunately the PO cut a big hole into the fronts by where the plow handle was, and on the rear,  hacked up where the battery goes, tossed the battery holder frame, and used a larger tractor battery. --- I'll give the heat gun trick a try, hopefully it works.

So when I got this old girl home, it wouldn't spin over, so I poured some Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug hole, let it sit for a few days, and now she spins free. Checked compression, and it was almost non existent, so I guess I need to pull the head and jug to see what's going on in there. I did the timing chain trick with the tensioner, and there was about 1/2 inch gap between the tensioner and the cylinder, so at least I shouldn't need to replace the chain.

When I was rolling it from my truck into the garage, I was hearing some popping noises. seemed like it was coming from the front end. When I pulled the side shaft off to get the generator cover off, all of the splines on the shaft seemed ok, as well as the u-joint and support bearing. Is there something common in the front end to cause some popping?    

Popping can mean that front diff is dry.

Those old manual lifts damaged a lot of fenders. That’s why I went to new style lifts.

6497DEE3-486A-409B-8D1F-5133BEDBCD4F.jpeg