Fishfiles

1996 TRX300A ( 2wd )

I bought this 300 from a friend a while back as a parts bike for $500  , the story  with it , the frame was broke and the OEM 300 rear end blew , I bought it cheap , I swapped frames and put a 250 rear end under it , done a custom 2wd disc conversion , had it in my fleet for a few years , then sold it back to him , he got a couple of more atvs and this one got pushed to the side  ---- so I hated to see it go when he wanted to sell it , the paint job is ok , ran good , needs a battery and swing arm bearings 

My buddy just redone the front end , new bearings ,  seals  , tie rod ends , ball joints and disc brake pads 

Took the swing arm off , OEM is about $100 for the seals, bearings and grease holders and shipping  ---- China is $25 with free shipping and they give you need pivot bolts --- 

Dug up a set of 4 aluminum 25 inch  oem rims and tires  , also dug up a set of rear 25 Mudlites on 9 inch rims ( those are good floaters ) 

Wow , the rear brakes still grab , but the foot pedal is froze up 

Going to drill and tap the pinion fill cap , swing arm and axle tubes and grease it up

I dug up  one right side floorboard on a part bike , bummer , finding the matching other side will be ruff --- Maybe Gregg from Monroe or Catfish Marvin from Little Rock 

yiIXhasmR3uhI+2diVrWvA.jpg

jUfM5n+2TlqkhMJ4vlsNXg.jpg

y9qWVDvyS0egluiPzsoieQ.jpg

2TrUtGfARnqkB99+iOajlA.jpg

qfipnnHuRcikeD9Ur2OI0g.jpg

iLKsD%l4T3iGBN7flswqUg.jpg

iYX8VobDSG2raYGjAOAFMA.jpg

a6jJewtwR7mxO%uXgW8glw.jpg

• Like 3

Swapped tires and rims on the front from the  24 x 12 steel rim  to a 25 x 12 aluminum OEM rim , this 2wd has a custom built disc conversion  on it , so it was either order some 1 inch wheel spacers or do some grinding to the calipers , chose to grind and it took a while --- forget to take a pic of where you need  to grind 

Tried to use the blind bearing puller to yank the swing arm bearing races out , but that did not work out , so I cut the races with a torch and gave the swing arm a prime and paint job 

Dug up a better from bumper , and since it has as winch fairlead mounted on it , dug out a winch that has a broken wireless  remote , I am not a fan of wireless , so I would  need to buy a solenoid winch controller , I like the KFI model , they last 

Still have not ordered parts yet , did find  what seems the best deal , Honda in Mississippi has a kit with Honda OEM bearings and seals for $18 each side , but no steel grease holder plates , those are anther $8 each , so about $52 , that is better than $98 and it is OEM 

Rear brake foot lever is frozen up , but the brakes on this 250 Fourtrax rear end work , so I need to try and fix that foot brake 

Yesterday , I seen a copy of rear rack center section that swings up to ge to trunk , as this one is missing that 

Need two front mud flaps , the rear are perfect , go figure 

U%Y8LJ5ZSk6C%8SQXknygQ.jpg

EvwzIaMoQVuLiMWGsEcCDA.jpg

zP93%qHOSQatyqLddE2zLw.jpg

JXGyks5eRKafsQDpNE7OZw.jpg

• Like 3

Finally felt good enough to do some work on 4 wheelers , flushed the dirty oil out the diff and axle tubes , drilled and tapped grease fittings in the fill cover ,  swing arm and axle tubes to fill with 50/50 Lucas Hub Oil and marine grease  

fullsizeoutput_feb.jpeg

ehNVxEshRj2yygaFFKly6w.jpg

• Like 2

Here a pic might help someone , this is where to grind the caliper on a disc conversion kit  if you use aluminum rims ( 12 inch ) , with steel rims you don't need to grind , another way to skin the cat are 1 inch wheel spacers 

iTJqj%sEQkum7XEjwVqPAw.jpg

• Like 2

Over the weekend I scored a coil of 1/4 poly plastic air tubing , like the stuff  used for air brakes on big trucks , the stuff  works great for vent tubing , will last for 40 years+ , I have it on some of my other ATVs already  --- I gave $5 for this coil ,  I'd guess this was the remnants,  of a 100 foot piece  stuff goes for  about $.50 a foot if you got to buy it new 

I been hung up on finishing this bike , the swing  arm pivot adjustment bolt is messed up , been looking thru boxes of parts and cleaning the shed out  to the garbage cans  and have found 4 pivot bolts  now and all are frozen up bad --- might have to buy a new bolt and lock ring 

While looking for parts , I found a TRX250 Fourtrax back rack , I can make it work on this 300 with a little welding of a sleeve to make it longer 

XFnDBjwLQxaLIsnM6Cheiw.jpg

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Over the weekend I scored a coil of 1/4 poly plastic air tubing , like the stuff  used for air brakes on big trucks , the stuff  works great for vent tubing , will last for 40 years+ , I have it on some of my other ATVs already  --- I gave $5 for this coil ,  I'd guess this was the remnants,  of a 100 foot piece  stuff goes for  about $.50 a foot if you got to buy it new 

I been hung up on finishing this bike , the swing  arm pivot adjustment bolt is messed up , been looking thru boxes of parts and cleaning the shed out  to the garbage cans  and have found 4 pivot bolts  now and all are frozen up bad --- might have to buy a new bolt and lock ring 

While looking for parts , I found a TRX250 Fourtrax back rack , I can make it work on this 300 with a little welding of a sleeve to make it longer 

XFnDBjwLQxaLIsnM6Cheiw.jpg

You need 16 and 20?  I should be able to help you out there.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1996/trx300-a-fourtrax-300/swingarm

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You need 16 and 20?  I should be able to help you out there.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1996/trx300-a-fourtrax-300/swingarm

I need a #16 and a #20 , everyone I found around here ,  so far is rusted together bad , one I got apart and was working it back and forth and it galled up the threads 

Here is something that might be very helpful to someone , I needed a swing arm bearings and seals for this 300 , so I priced out the parts at Partzilla for right at $100 , 2 bearings , 2 seals and 2 steel grease retainer plates --- so my buddy at Cycle Shack Honda in Mississippi , comes up with a swingarm kit per side for another motorcycle  , they were heavily sealed in a bag from Honda so you couldn't see what was in it , they cost $18 per side the part number is on the bag in the picture below , he said the prease plates did not come with it , so I ordered them separately , but when I opened them yesterday the plates do come in the bag , with some  special  grease  , $36 is a lot better than $100 and you get the grease , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_ffb.jpegfullsizeoutput_ff9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ff7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I liked to say thanks to @jeepwm69,  he is sending me a swing arm pivot bolt and lock ring , the threads are galled on mine ---- would have cost me $30 plus shipping and between retirement  and Biden-omics things are getting tough , Thanks Jeep 

This blue 300 is going to my son-on-law , he don't know it yet , he bought the grand daughter a Yamaha 90 for her birthday and he don't have a atv himself 

• Like 1

Looks like it will get there Monday if the black hole in Memphis (current location) doesn't swallow it.

Finally got to this project , new swing arm bearings , torqued them down ------      grease in the rear end diff and axle tubes ----------  unfroze rear brake foot pedal and got rear brakes working -----------  new front bumper , working on the front rack which was bent and broke, needs some welding , I can handle that  ------  did a stretch job on a TRX250 rear rack center section  to make it fit a 300 ,  etc , etc , 

+XGO4zyRRYelArIVJBzKEw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1008.jpeg

AUqM81DSQLSTsyC0W2ciBg.jpg

RlVJ9kebQS2rgWyalKGE1w.jpg

fullsizeoutput_100c.jpeg

ozHAcPo5Q1WI8wS4RAUBPA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_100f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1015.jpeg

• Like 3

A buddy gave me two bottles of Krud Kutter a while back , it is like Liquid Sandpaper , worked really good , never realized it is made by Rustoleum ,  painted the front rack after welding it , and got it bolted on --- finished the 250 center rack and got it painted and made a bushing for it out if pvc pipe  , wanted to take the rear rack off  and give it a paint job , but didn't 

vdKouZKuTAW86QcuSydwUA.jpg

lyqnKJbVRRqYYVV%kqGUFA.jpg

p6FHRbKVSXqHJUXxRXQMpw.jpg

ahHiRDs6TeWAIx3sS+%40g.jpg

RVPbwL4ERl6kKlMEtEHPJg.jpg

• Like 3

Plunger of master stuck.  Screws of cover stripped and frozen.  Drilled them out then ran a thread thru.  8/36 tap fits it 

4171ECA3-BBE9-42BA-B0C5-A8DDC59CDFA4.jpeg

5CB0CF84-065B-4E18-93AC-6E32FFE50319.jpeg

A2679479-F2B4-4E93-8384-ED13899BED42.jpeg

B22596F9-853B-4DFD-BB99-49A2E2EC7BFA.jpeg

• Like 3

Swopped the tires to some 27 ITP Blackwaters , made a 2 inch lift kit as I only had one side , so  I made both front sides out of heavier tubing  , found a seat with better padding but it needs to be recovered , 

fullsizeoutput_1023.jpeg

jJOxF70DSH6aZNswZ92QNg.jpg

Pw4oy3bgS7671tCVjXaAlw.jpg

jN4%H7pIQyaWVDk7WAK1UQ.jpg

• Like 2

I like the stance with the 2 inch lift kit and 27 rear tires more then the 25s  ---- going to try and get the seat recovered tomorrow , but got some old friends coming over that we have not seen in 4 years 

AZ%Srm6sQhiGF0+kgpm5Kg.jpg

GVklIKtWSdOLqljpJke5qA.jpg

tQ6rRLe6Rha4fzz5GArbaQ.jpg

• Like 1

Was digging around the shed , tryinh to get rid of enough parts so my zero turn can gt out the weather and found 2 winches , One says Yamaha , think that might actually be a Warn , the other says Yukon , think that might be caca , don't have a solenoid or switch , this is a low budget build , all I spent  so far out of pocket was swing arm bearings and seals ...  so I might just tie a hook with a rope thru that  fairlead and wait for someone to ask for a winch , LOL 

Also found some stick stoppers , no cv shaft boots to protect ,  but it could help with something like this , naw , think that one was too high for stick stoppers 

image.png

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

• Like 1

Redone the seat in a dark navy  blue that a bought by mistake cause I am color blind , forgot to get a pic of the finished seat ------------ found it had a little rattle,  adjusted the valves , sounds much better  , I had found that Honda wrench at the flea market for $1 , good buy !!! -------  did a compression test whilst the  spark plug was out for changing  ,  it has good compression ------  I took the carb off to unstick the fuel enrichment valve and replaced the choke lever of the headlight switch , unscrewed the cap of the enrichment plunger and shot AeroKroil in there overnight and it came right out , I hate that plunger , always stuck 

did a half arse cleaning of the carb whilst it was off ,  think I need to take the carb off and do a deep cleaning , it will ile great , then give it some gas and it will stay high idle for a few seconds before dropping down ---- the inside the tank is one of  the cleanest I ever seen 

Shout out to Ryobi's cordless 3/8 ratchet , it is strong 

I still have not freed up the master cylinder plunger for the front brakes , that might be the last issue 

nRbATRC3Qx+8SY2%CmTXWw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1034.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1032.jpeg

GZNKLyO6QrqjWG6LCm415g.jpg

blue seat 

project for the day , make a good 300 carb out of 10 

@jeepwm69 the only carb with a tag on it is a 500 , didn't you need one

I think that blue seat is going to wind up on my real blue 92 

jZnUy4BETkGlcoMLIzorag.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1037.jpeg

sNBpUH5bS9ubz1ImtmFfEQ.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

blue seat 

fullsizeoutput_1037.jpeg

top left corner of carb table, that is not a 300 carb, i see a air cut-off on it. and another on bottom of that row.

28 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

blue seat 

fullsizeoutput_1037.jpeg

I can always use an extra carb. Shoot me details  

The wife’s is dumping gas out of the overflow now🤦‍♂️

I could probably dig up a 300 carb although I don’t know that what I have would be any better than what you have .

Have you ever put a 350 Rancher carb on a 300?  I’ve seen people claim it works and new OEM 350 carbs are still fairly cheap when compared to a new OEM 300 carb

• Like 1

Jeep , Yes , I have had a 350 carb on a 300 before , that was on that faux 317 that I got from you know who  , it was over fueling and causing several eye burnt to anyone riding  in the rear of it , that carb  is marked also with Marks a Lot on the top cap ,  maybe a jet job and it would be better 

Did a deep clean to the original 1996 OEM carb and it is running great , after riding 300 4wds with gear reduction and oversize tires , riding this 2wd is so easy to steer and  it screams 

Still need a master cylinder for the front disc brakes and maybe mount  a winch 

fullsizeoutput_103a.jpeg

BCCWUaYPTRSO4wTTT191Ow.jpg

qe7pzRWQSOybZEcWFC6uAg.jpg

znHQGkSEQS+2ILKEuYdlIA.jpg

EnDI3GvDQ9avn2xCMcX1vQ.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Jeep , Yes , I have had a 350 carb on a 300 before , that was on that faux 317 that I got from you know who  , it was over fueling and causing several eye burnt to anyone riding  in the rear of it , that carb  is marked also with Marks a Lot on the top cap ,  maybe a jet job and it would be better 

Did a deep clean to the original 1996 OEM carb and it is running great , after riding 300 4wds with gear reduction and oversize tires , riding this 2wd is so easy to steer and  it screams 

Still need a master cylinder for the front disc brakes and maybe mount  a winch 

fullsizeoutput_103a.jpeg

BCCWUaYPTRSO4wTTT191Ow.jpg

qe7pzRWQSOybZEcWFC6uAg.jpg

znHQGkSEQS+2ILKEuYdlIA.jpg

EnDI3GvDQ9avn2xCMcX1vQ.jpg

350 rancher carbs are some of the worse carbs ever !. every one i've ever dealt with always leaked from over filling the float bowl, because they had a defective float needle seat from the factory.

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

350 rancher carbs are some of the worse carbs ever !. every one i've ever dealt with always leaked from over filling the float bowl, because they had a defective float needle seat from the factory.

Some people use the 300 EX carb on their 300s , I think Wheeler is one of them