Bossdaddy

What Is The Problem???

This is a 2003 Rancher 350-foot shift. I've never seen this before, the lights doing what they are doing, even the green neutral light does the same thing. You can hear when I give it just a little throttle it clears up and lights are normal. Just prior to cranking up for this video I checked the battery, it was reading,12.6 volts. What do you guys think could be the problem ?

IMG_2743 (1).MOV

Edited by Bossdaddy
spelling

23 minutes ago, Bossdaddy said:

This is a 2003 Rancher 350-foot shift. I've never seen this before, the lights doing what they are doing, even the green neutral light does the same thing. You can hear when I give it just a little throttle it clears up and lights are normal. Just prior to cranking up for this video I checked the battery, it was reading,12.6 volts. What do you guys think could be the problem ?

IMG_2743 (1).MOV 42.11 MB · 0 downloads

did not watch what ever it was you posted ^^^ ?, but your problem is either the reg/rec ?, or the stator ?.

What is the voltage reading when the machine is running and when giving it throttle?

toodeep, I'm not very good with electric problem so what is the best way to check the voltage when it's running and at throttle?

DC voltage meter leads directly on the battery terminals.  make sure you are measuring DC not AC voltage.  With the engine running it should be reading above 12 VDC.  With the engine at higher RPM's it should be reading around 14-14.5 VDC....

Battery was reading 11.6v before starting engine, with engine running reading was 12.3v with engine at higher rpm reading was 11.3v. 

5 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Battery was reading 11.6v before starting engine, with engine running reading was 12.3v with engine at higher rpm reading was 11.3v. 

again, either bad reg/rec, or bad stator. which one ?..i can't answer that. if i was working on it, i'd look for a oem used parts from power sports nation, they stand behind their parts.

Sounds like you have a multi meter so testing the stator is pretty easy to do. Chance are it's the regulator/rectifier giving the issues though since they are more common to go bad. The rectifier off of the 450 in that vid should be the same (or close enough to work) so a simple swap will tell you for sure if you want to skip the testing part.

I pulled the reg/rec off the 450 and tried it on the 350 and sadly I got the same results. I didn't check the volts saw enough when the lights were doing the same thing.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, Bossdaddy said:

I just noticed this.... do you have a good healthy battery in it?

With the motor not running, key turned on, what does the voltage across the battery measure?

Your battery is junk... you will need to put a healthy battery in it before you can determine if there is a problem with the charging system or not. A bad battery can cause the charging system to fail, so its important that you never start or operate your ATV while a failed battery is in it.

• Like 2

We aren't interested in blaming your charging system for your flickering lights at this point since a dead and shorted battery will cause flickering lights even if the charging system is working.

So once you get a good battery in it measure the battery voltage with the motor not running, key on, measure again while the motor is idling and measure again while the motor is revved up. Let us know what those three measurements are.

• Like 1

I'll do it, thanks. First, I've got a plumbing job here at home and a great grandson's birthday to take care of. 

• Like 2

The previous numbers are bogus. I had forgotten to plug the reg/rec back up so numbers changed thank GOD, With key on reading 12.9v, with motor idling 13.4v and motor revved up 14.4v.

• Like 2

Those numbers are perfect! It's fixed Bossdaddy, congrats!

A bad battery, man , had me all tore up , thanks, I just keep on learning from you guys, quite a relief.

• Like 2