ArmyAviator

2009 Rancher 420FA 4x4 AUTOMATIC not shifting…

Greetings from Fort Rucker AL.  
2009 Rancher Automatic 4x4, well maintained, started having shifting issues: stop to idle, few clicking sounds, and single dash line on instrument panel.  I could rock it a few times, turn it off, it could then be shifted back to neutral and be fine for a bit. 
  Now, no shifting, turn ignition on, single dash line, then that single dash line flashes 5 times, then off. 
  I can use emergency shift tool and get it into neutral (green light and N displayed), it’ll crank, but no shift…not in auto nor ESP.  
  I have just changed the angle shift sensor, no avail. 
  Would anyone have a service manual to interpret 5 flashes….or someone know what 5 flashes means? 
  I have read about pulling shift motor and cleaning that.  I just hear nothing when the shift buttons are depressed. 
  For any help and advice, I’d be truly grateful. 
 - Bryant 

Welcome aboard.

Look at the toolbar at the top of the page and you’ll see a button that says “service manuals”

Click on that, follow the link, go to Honda, utility, 420 rancher, and then you will see a manual for the 420 FA

my copy is saved on my desktop, but if you look under the auto transmission or PCM – FI sections you should be able to find a list of error codes and find out what that code 5 is

Can you shift through the gears with the emergency shifter?

Welcome to the forum. There are 2 different flash patterns (long and slow) that will give the code. Just a guess it's 2 long and 3 short giving a code 23 which is for the angle sensor system. Did you use an aftermarket angle sensor or one from Honda (OEM)?

Thank you, Fellas.  It was Honda OEM part; I was so sure it would work, but nothing. 
When I use the emergency shift tool and put in in N, the code is a single dash, pause, then 5 seemingly perfectly timed dashes.  I’ll go download the service manual now. Thank you! 

Service manual indicates that one long blink followed by 5 short = 15: shift solenoid valve circuit.  
Researching to find that part’s location. Please advise if y’all might now…?