Snow Camo

SkullCandy 87 200sx

Hi all,
I just picked this up dirt cheap from a guy at work. Dude couldnt get it to run. The norm with these. Had it running the first night. Just got a brand new in the plastic protaper handlebar for 20 bucks😁. I have a new petcock on the way as the factory was leaking.

Needs:
Plastics- given the ridiculous resale market I'll likely go new.

Tires: not sure If I want to upgrade the wheels(see next line item). I will eventually have (2) sets, one off-road and one street set. Street will be to cruise around the streets of my neighborhood. Folks have started doing this recently (THANK GOD!!!).

Fuel petcock: got one on the way thanks to an ebay seller< motorpartsotre~ spelled just like that. Awesome seller BTW. Very communicative.

Chain and sprockets:
Again (2) sets due to not being able to find 25 in street tires and I want to make it easier on the 200cc engine anyhow.

Wheels- I may or may not upgrade to 10 or 12 inch. Cost is adding up...

Brackets: for the rear that support the rear Plastics.

Front brakes need service and the dime in the site glass trick.

After the brakes and tires and or wheels I will be able to ride.😁

Shocks: just purchased some used suzuki 230 quad racer front shocks thanks to ebay as well.

Rear shock: need help here. It would be nice to find something that fits the eyelets, buy if not I'll cut to fit What will fit with grinding? Looking for comfort here. I love my back !. I read going with the trx250 rear is an option, but it is said to be stiff so... idk.

Any 4x4 2x4 shocks with progressive springs are good with me. Im all for a longer shock btw its all good. I will make it work one way or another( ill a different eyelet welded if need be).

Got the suzuki quadracer shocks mounted. They are about a couple inches more long then the factory. With that they become preloaded when fitted and max the suspension when installed. No biggie for me. I do plan on modifying the adjument collar and notch to have less preload on the spring.

Fixed the leaking petcock. Then found the gas tank to leak somewhere.... I'll find a gas tank sealer and be done with it lol. Not going to get a plastic tank for a air cooled engine smh.

I recovered the seat. Figured i would diy and save some cash for brakes .Turned out pretty good.

20220703_113544.jpg

20220703_113628.jpg

20220703_113606.jpg

20220618_185011.jpg

20220520_211444.jpg

• Like 1

Hi , welcome to the forum --- 

Did you figure out yet ,that the 200SX has a different rim stud pattern on the front rims 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi , welcome to the forum --- 

Did you figure out yet ,that the 200SX has a different rim stud pattern on the front rims 

Hey man, yeah it's  4x85 correct? That's what the wheel in the pic is. Even if it's like 4x80 I can just drill the bolt holes a bit and make it work.

2 minutes ago, Snow Camo said:

Hey man, yeah it's  4x85 correct? That's what the wheel in the pic is. Even if it's like 4x80 I can just drill the bolt holes a bit and make it work.

I am pretty sure they are 4x80 pattern , I have had a few 200sx and they are a fun, fast ATV 

If rims give you a real problem , you can always have a set of spacers made to adaptor any rim to the 200SX , last set I have made was $100 for a set 

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am pretty sure they are 4x80 pattern , I have had a few 200sx and they are a fun, fast ATV 

If rims give you a real problem , you can always have a set of spacers made to adaptor any rim to the 200SX , last set I have made was $100 for a set 

Yeah man that was a other idea I was thinking and was like maybe that'll wear out the front bearings idk. I supposed not tho. I can contact my metal fab shop I use for work and see what they charge.

6 minutes ago, Snow Camo said:

Yeah man that was a other idea I was thinking and was like maybe that'll wear out the front bearings idk. I supposed not tho. I can contact my metal fab shop I use for work and see what they charge.

I run 1 inch , 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch wide spacers on my ATVs ( 300s and 450s ) and with oversized tires and rims on top of spacers , I am sure the extra width is not good for  bearings , hear people " cry " about people who do it all the time  , but can't say I seen devastating problem from them , ----that 200SX is so light I don't foresee any problems 

If you do order , talk with them on the phone as it is easy to mess up an order and custom made they don't want to take them back , ask me how I know !!!  Here is a link to one I have used for custom spacers , in fact I need to order a set for the rear on my golf cart project 

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/custom-atv-utv-wheel-adapters-spacers/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I run 1 inch , 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch wide spacers on my ATVs ( 300s and 450s ) and with oversized tires and rims on top of spacers , I am sure the extra width is not good for  bearings , hear people " cry " about people who do it all the time  , but can't say I seen devastating problem from them , ----that 200SX is so light I don't foresee any problems 

If you do order , talk with them on the phone as it is easy to mess up an order and custom made they don't want to take them back , ask me how I know !!!  Here is a link to one I have used for custom spacers , in fact I need to order a set for the rear on my golf cart project 

Rock on man! I am gonna check that out! Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Do you by chance know the thread size/ pitch you used?

Update.

Purchased, painted and installed new: tierods ends, engine cover, rear brake drum cover, slotted rear brake shoes, chain and sprockets and brake master cylinder.

Little over spray as I got spray happy 🤣. Now it has solid fresh brakes front and rear. Next up will be used wheels and tires and then plastics.

Next summer or so engine rebuild. I have been thinking of doing a high compression piston or turbo. I am not set yet on which, but I am sort of leaning toward just the piston. Also with just a piston I will get a web cam to go with.

It's coming together slowly

20221030_144237.jpg

20221030_144318.jpg

20221029_134719.jpg

• Like 3

Wow , that paint is LIVE , is it powder coating ???   Looks good ---  

Thanks! It's just a simple rustoleum red. Most of my riding will be around the neighborhood, so I should not have to worry about the paint too much. It will likely never see a mud pit or ruff uncharted terrain. 

• Like 1

Got some new parts in. 

Air filter 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323831957409

Carb rebuild kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171366372324

Float and needle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384112723034

A needle made by Proline. This is the one currently in use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223757945630

#42 Pilot, slow, idle jet

https://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/catalogsearch/result/?attr=0&q=N424-21+SERIES+PILOT+JET+%2342

#102 Main jet

https://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/catalogsearch/result/?attr=0&q=99101-393+SERIES+STARTER+JET+%23102

I have a tach, hour and engine temp meter on the way. I will post more about it later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294653596724

The jets are the best thing I have done to this quad yet! 

Here is the thread I started about the jets.

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 1

The new rpm, clock, run time, temp gauge came in. I sorta wish it had an option for a 12 hour clock, but it works. The quad never came with an rpm gauge, so it sounds correct lol. I will open it and wire in a step down transformer of sorts. That will alow it to not depend on batteries and run only when the ignition signal is present. Coming along slowly. I will also insure it is completely water proof for wet/ muddy days😁

Next I will strip the wiring harness and wire the rear light to my new master cylinder switch. That way the brake light functions when brakes are applied. 

The neutral and reverse light filaments look solid, but they do not lite up. If the issue is the neutral safety switch I will just make that a thing I do when ever I replace the clutch pack with these. They are noted to be the same for the 200sx. I'll get around to that down the line. 

Items next on the list in some order once I sort through are wheels, tires, rear shock, rear brake cable, plastics and likely a different rear sproket From iirc that is the company I spoke with some time ago. Customer service and knowledge was great.

20221210_191109.jpg

20221210_191212.jpg

20221210_193442.jpg

20221210_193500.jpg

20221210_193508.jpg

20221210_193434.jpg

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 2

Just saying , some of them tachs , to get the correct rpm reading  , they  have a switch to change the number of cylinders and /or if it is a two stroke or four stroke engine , are you getting the correct rpms ?

I had a lot of fun with the 200SXs I have had ,  I still have a good running 200SX engine with all the electronic and wiring harness , hope to one day get it in my  cart project 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Just saying , some of them tachs , to get the correct rpm reading  , they  have a switch to change the number of cylinders and /or if it is a two stroke or four stroke engine , are you getting the correct rpms ?

I had a lot of fun with the 200SXs I have had ,  I still have a good running 200SX engine with all the electronic and wiring harness , hope to one day get it in my  cart project 

Yes you are correct. This unit has a list of engine types it works with. Apparently not all 4 stroke 1 cylinder engines fire the same. This is noted in the manual. It states some 4 stroke 1 cylinder engines use the same firing pattern as 4 stroke 2 cylinder engines, so the unit must be programed for the 4 stroke 2 cylinder.

I found this to be true as I had to program the unit to the aforementioned setting. 

I am a gear head by nature and I am willing to be this unit when set to the correct setting is not off by much if any. I had to say sounds due to not having anything to compare. It does lag a few milliseconds,  but that's being picky when using a $10 unit lol. 

When you move forward with that cart project try the jets I posted. I bet you'll want to get another 200sx lol. I do not even need to use the choke or throttle to get it running. 🙂

I have one of those tachs for tuning purposes and I learned a little about  them , the one I got was from the aviation side of things , and there is  a slight lag in real time data with that one 

You got me  thinking about that 200SX cart  project I got  , since I will not going to  be using an airbox  and I pretty sure the jetting will be thrown off , was it you that posted on HondaATV about tuning with no airbox on a 200SX 

Very well could of been me. I slept since lol.

Since this forum is the most responsive and friendly I tend to gravitate this way more then others. 

There is one short vid of a 200sx gocart swap on yt. It's old, but cool to see it looks like they could of done better with gears and tire size. 

3 minutes ago, Snow Camo said:

There is one short vid of a 200sx gocart swap on yt. It's old, but cool to see it looks like they could of done better with gears and tire size. 

What and where is  '' YT " ?    I would like to see the video of the  swop 

Thanks for looking up and posting that 200SX cart video , that might lite a fire under my butt  to finish it  !

These are both the same carts , EZGO Workhorse ST350s , OEM came with a 350 Kawasaki 2 cylinder , the red one runs , needs the carb cleaned has about 6 inches of lift ------  the black one is the 200SX project , I started out putting a 300 Fourtrax engine with the shaft driven swing arm set up , then switched to 200SX  , it has about 16 inches of lift , hydraulic disc conversion , I have another actuated lift bed for the SX cart  project ,    going with a jack shaft , should be 5.26 ratio , those are 25 inch tall tires , what is the 200SX stock tire height in the rear ??   Like 22s ??? 

rMN54V0ORkeGyQyDdUnYJA.jpg

pAMSRKFbTvi%f1dSkkpbFg.jpg

Ii5gLljASu2W%0foWqOO1Q.jpg

OWNiCo5+TQqUbJ22pZKz5w.jpg

qXR%+GoCTcCitx5rj2uEeA.jpg

meKsQ0v8TlGDdjzkPOh46A.jpg

• Like 2