Snow Camo

SkullCandy 87 200sx

Made a dash for the ignition, meter, switch(s) and accessory lights. I will have to ditch the factory neutral and reverse light as it takes up too much  real estate. 

Everything always works out for me😁

20230211_125817.jpg

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

Made a dash for the ignition, meter, switch(s) and accessory lights. I will have to ditch the factory neutral and reverse light as it takes up too much  real estate. 

Everything always works out for me😁

20230211_125817.jpg

Runleader 👍👌 whats the refresh rate / #  On that model ? The lower the number, the quicker the refresh rate. 

7 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

Before I painted the wheels I used a drill with a wire brush to clean up the aluminum on the surfaces I wanted to leave raw. I then masked the wheel off and sprayed the above gold onto. After that I went back and sealed the brushed surfaces with ProtectaClear crystal clear coating. Researched and found reviews that this is the best clear for raw metal. Some say it last years. Just what I need. Also I had this laying around from my previous copper barrel yard project, so that saved a few bucks that will be put toward something here.

I tried to add an old school polish from way back, but it added a super deep gloss that showed the wheels pitting. The ITP wheel is cast, so the pitting is under the factory coat.

Got that clear coat book marked...... Looks like good stuff.... So in time I'm sure I'll find something to try it out on, but back to the reasons I'm responding before you did those wheels did you happen to try Semi Chrome Polishig Compound ? And the other.... Bikes coming along .... Looks good, n,  very eye catching! 

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Got that clear coat book marked...... Looks like good stuff.... So in time I'm sure I'll find something to try it out on, but back to the reasons I'm responding before you did those wheels did you happen to try Semi Chrome Polishig Compound ? And the other.... Bikes coming along .... Looks good, n,  very eye catching! 

image.jpg

The manufacture did not list the refresh rate unfortunately. 

Yes that clear coat is awesome. I bought it straight from the manufacture. They sell to the public and have great email support. 

I remember that polish. I did not try it due to the pitting in the aluminum surface. A shine makes the pitting stand out like a sore thumb. 

Hey thanks for the kind words. I had hoped it would come together as it has. Still more spray to come. I'll carry this red, gold and black theme over to the plastics down the line. I'll have to figure some graphics for this quad. 

• Like 1

Your most welcome! If you polish enough with semi chrome......eventually that pitting will be less noticeable .... After so much time... It will disappear completely ( i did a mag light 4 d-cell) one time... When i got done it was super smooth, so smooth... Even i finger nail would leave marks.... Lol! Now that's a smooth finish! Blindingly so.... I'd post pics but i gave it to Susan (ex GF) but hey! The bike looks great! And your past the wheels... So onwards n upwards 👆👍hm...... What kinda grafics do you got in mind ? 

• Like 1

You are going to have a one of a kind 200SX , I like the color scheme of the engine . looking good 

I got a 300 engine  re-build going on now for a couple of years that looks a lot like yours --- Red powder coat killed my engine  , the powder coat  got on the inside the cases , then it came off , clogged the filter and the case screen , turned into a lack of lubrication  situation --- 

looks like there is paint on the innards of your engine 

Do you know the 200sx doesn't have an oil filter , any pieces of dirt is centricically thrown into a cavity ---- 

image.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Your most welcome! If you polish enough with semi chrome......eventually that pitting will be less noticeable .... After so much time... It will disappear completely ( i did a mag light 4 d-cell) one time... When i got done it was super smooth, so smooth... Even i finger nail would leave marks.... Lol! Now that's a smooth finish! Blindingly so.... I'd post pics but i gave it to Susan (ex GF) but hey! The bike looks great! And your past the wheels... So onwards n upwards 👆👍hm...... What kinda grafics do you got in mind ? 

I will have to pickup some of that polish for future use. That's right up my alley. I like a good mirror reflection on metal. I still have one wheel to prep and paint. Also I plan to prep, mask and paint the backside of the wheel in the pick. I have run out of paint and need to get more. Maybe this upcoming week I will get some more red, black and gold to spray. I still need to get the compression tester. I have been mulling over getting that bit of news or not lol.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You are going to have a one of a kind 200SX , I like the color scheme of the engine . looking good 

I got a 300 engine  re-build going on now for a couple of years that looks a lot like yours --- Red powder coat killed my engine  , the powder coat  got on the inside the cases , then it came off , clogged the filter and the case screen , turned into a lack of lubrication  situation --- 

looks like there is paint on the innards of your engine 

Do you know the 200sx doesn't have an oil filter , any pieces of dirt is centricically thrown into a cavity ---- 

image.png

nice color scheme! All my parts have been taken off and sprayed, so no worries there. I considered powdercoat, but if I did $600+ would be spent on color alone. That's alot of parts to be bought lol. I had to weigh my options.

Man you are right about the filter. That was the very first thing I checked when I got this quad. I split the cases and tried to find the oil filter screen listed in the manual... NOPE none to be found idk, but it all looked clean inside. I guess Honda skipped that part. I should of checked the clutch pack while in there. 

I had hoped this one would be one of a kind and motivate viewers to make their own or fix up their atv. It all starts with finding motivation and coming up with ideas. Never be afraid to fail. See a positive outcome and it will all come together nicely 😀.

• Like 1

I did that light by hand and Cotten balls..... That's when my shoulder was busted .... A bull throwing someone 20 feet straight up can effect all kinds things...... Especially when your landing....sigh....if you was to use an orbital buffer.... Id think It would buff really quickly!! 

• Like 1

I have a cloth buffing wheel for my drill It works great I just did not have the time to spend buffing the imperfections. I really do need to get a orbital buffer for other projects I need to clean up. I have been saying I'll get one for what seems like 10 years lol. I keep saying I can not justify the cost of a good buffer so I Mr. Miagi it hahaha. 

Wax on... Wax off... 🤣

You used to ride bulls? Wow!

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 1

I used the last of my red and gold last night. Spent yesterday masking and coming up with ideas. When I have the jug and head worked I plan to paint the fins gold and valve cover red. Alternating colors with the bolts.

Pic of the business side.

20230212_093954.jpg

• Like 2

On February 11, 2023 at 12:36 PM, Snow Camo said:

ProtectaClear crystal clear coating. Researched and found reviews that this is the best clear for raw metal. Some say it last years.

I forgot to ask..... Is there just one type of that brand clear coat ?.... Or several deferent types... Say like semi gloss, flat, extra heavy / thick .... Etc etc.... If it's patrolium biased... Which I'm thinking it is.... It can't be used with certain rubberized coatings like plasti-dip, maybe not even with plasti kote, or elasti wrap.... which im familiar with.... But.... I'd still like as much information .... On that brand clear coat you spoke of. 

• Like 1

I believe there is just the regular and semi gloss. The instructions do say to not use with rubber, so that is out.

I think I'll apply another coat or two and see how much more gloss I can get out of the wheels. It would not hurt anything.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of clear coat , unless your going to keep it covered and / or inside a garage , it looks great in the beginning  , but it is going to discolor and start peeling off 

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am not a fan of clear coat , unless your going to keep it covered and / or inside a garage , it looks great in the beginning  , but it is going to discolor and start peeling off 

That's the reason I cleaned the wheels up.  The factory clear turned yellow and peeled. So far this stuff has held up great for my other projects, so I guess we'll see how it does long term 

I love raw metal and wood or atleast being able to see the texture/ grain.

Edited by Snow Camo

Thank you Snow much appreciated! I'll toss this in..... Might need to be cured under a uv light.... I've delt with some epoxys that will yellow unless cured under a uv light.... Not too sure if that applys to clear coats like we're discussing.. But wouldn't hurt to test, i wouldn't think....there are some epoxies used on fishing lures that will not yellow at all.... I would think surely there's a clear cost that won't ..... I know plasti-dip gloss buster won't least my project 300 haven't turned in the least... Y ou could use plast-dip fade buster... But two things to watch for... One is premature peeling... Longer it cures the stronger it becomes to a point... The other... It will not have the smooth as glass finish.. Nature of the beast... But nothing protects better or sheds slime faster.... And it's easy to touch up, riding in gravel / sand ? You'll be re shooting those wheels again....just. Think of it like this.... Anything that damages a condom .... With damage plasti-dip...But! Only one will stretch to accommodate ... For size........ Lol! 

• Like 1

The plexiglass cover should be here any day now. I have been thinking I will need to wait to drill the bolt holes due to not having rear tires. The machine needs to be resting on it own or the picture may not sit straight after it is. I'll secure it with a couple dabs of silicon for now.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Snow Camo

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Thank you Snow much appreciated! I'll toss this in..... Might need to be cured under a uv light.... I've delt with some epoxys that will yellow unless cured under a uv light.... Not too sure if that applys to clear coats like we're discussing.. But wouldn't hurt to test, i wouldn't think....there are some epoxies used on fishing lures that will not yellow at all.... I would think surely there's a clear cost that won't ..... I know plasti-dip gloss buster won't least my project 300 haven't turned in the least... Y ou could use plast-dip fade buster... But two things to watch for... One is premature peeling... Longer it cures the stronger it becomes to a point... The other... It will not have the smooth as glass finish.. Nature of the beast... But nothing protects better or sheds slime faster.... And it's easy to touch up, riding in gravel / sand ? You'll be re shooting those wheels again....just. Think of it like this.... Anything that damages a condom .... With damage plasti-dip...But! Only one will stretch to accommodate ... For size........ Lol! 

Your most welcome Jay

I have heard of using a uv light to cure clear coats. I also hear it will reverse the yellowing in white plastics as well. Idk I never tried it to know.

I do not plan to take this one off the street, but as you said a couple coats later and it will be new again. I'm totally fine with that for now. Spray paint is not expensive and it gives me time to finalize colors. One day when it all comes together and it is complete I will sit back and reflect on what goes off to powdercoat and which colors.  I may change a color here and there...

Powder coat is one of those bring more get a better deal things. At least out here it is. 

Those darn condems... always breaking lol. They seem to never last! Lol

Edited by Snow Camo
  • Like 1

What's up guys! I will start by saying I am new to stick welding... 😆 

With that said I have been working on an adjustable grab bar. I stopped by a metal supply shop and picked up a couple 90° radius sections of tube. I passed a section labeled hinges. The hinges were pricey so I passed. As i kept walking I found a few bins with scrap metal. In one I found a 1/2" pipe and iirc  a 1/2" metal rod. I figured I can use them to make my own hinge. Well that worked out great! So $20 later I went home and put the welder to the metal. 

Work in progress still,  but hey I get to practice stick welding,  so that's a bonus. I may just have the same shop Lazer cut the swing armextension bracket as well. I have some more scrap and work to do but hey...

Things Always work out for me. 

Why adjustable? Well first it needed 4 more inches (that's what she said😅), because it should help wheelies with the extended swingarm and loading into the truck. Another thing I made this for while doing wheelies is it will lock into place, but fold up if it hits the ground to prevent frame damage. 

Anyhoo I need to sort through the adjusting brackets, but what do you guys think? 

@oldmxrider inspired me to get this one rolling. If I'm correct he is building a 200sx elsewhere? 

20230218_151453.jpg

20230218_145553.jpg

20230218_143820.jpg

20230218_151554.jpg

20230218_151548.jpg

Edited by Snow Camo

Where do you guys find the quads for projects? Craigs list, ebay paper bulletin boards?

Love your build & recoil fix.

You're doing a great job keep up the good work. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I got this from a guy I work with. Local offerup and fb  market place would be a good start to find a project bike.

1 hour ago, CaptCoolbreeze said:

Where do you guys find the quads for projects? Craigs list, ebay paper bulletin boards?

Love your build & recoil fix.

You're doing a great job keep up the good work. 👍

i find all my projects on CL's.

Okay I've only been back on internet since BearFire 2020 and am very digitally challenged.  Don't know what some of the abverations are. What's CL?

11 minutes ago, CaptCoolbreeze said:

Okay I've only been back on internet since BearFire 2020 and am very digitally challenged.  Don't know what some of the abverations are. What's CL?

CL's = craigs list. another place is market place, which is on fb= face book ( fake book is more like it ) i ditched fb  few yrs ago.

• Like 1