Jdart

2019 Honda rubicon high/rough idle, hard start

Hi guys, i am new to this forum I have a 2019 Honda rubicon trx500fa6. When I was doing fire wood for the year, I brought some wood up to the house and shut the atv off. When I went to start it again, it was having a hard time starting when finally started it was idling high “like surging”. So I decided to go park it when I put it in reverse it took off on me without any throttle input, almost hitting the house so I decided to park it. When it was driving everything seemed fine. I did an oil change and everything looked fine, changed the spark plug, got a new air filter, cleaned spark arrestor on exhaust, syphoned gas and put new stuff in, cleaned the idle air control valve and I still am still having the same problems. I am wondering if anyone else has had these same promblems? And I’m looking for and other ideas or solutions. Thanks so much. 

Welcome aboard.  I was going to steer you to the IACV, but sounds like you already removed that and cleaned it.  So it spun in and out cleanly and easily?

That should be what controls your idle speed.

Any chance you have your throttle cable kinked/hanging up?  Probably not if if was surging, but something else to check, especially where it connects to the throttle body.

The iacv was dirty, but it seem to be working good after I cleaned it. I checked the throttle cable and it was ok, no kinks or snags from what I could see. I figure that it’s either fuel or electrical, but I’m not sure where to start. I just recently got my fuel pump replaced, due to recall early this past winter. Maybe I got a bad part? Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions. 

I would try cleaning the IACV again. Every now and then it takes a couple times to get it working properly.