01RUBY500

What was your most memorable, funnest, bestest ride ever?

I was looking through some old pictures recently and it got me to thinking why I got back into owning ATV's again.  My most memorable, funnest ride ever is without a doubt when I went to Alaska for the first time and my buddies brother in-law who lived there had a Honda Foreman ES and a Polaris sxs.  He took us on a 23 mile ride (one way) to a Glacier.  It was awesome, we even stopped to fish for salmon in a beautiful stream on the way back.  This got me to thinking it might be nice to hear what everyone else considers their most memorable off road experience, so please share.  Here are just a few pictures from my 2010 Alaska trip.  Enjoy!

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

• Like 12

sure would like some water from that ice.. .. nice picture's. my rides are small, but i survived a few, that are funny, not quite the same theme.. i think i might tell a story tomorrow.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:41 PM, LedFTed said:

sure would like some water from that ice.. .. nice picture's. my rides are small, but i survived a few, that are funny, not quite the same theme.. i think i might tell a story tomorrow.

i can do 2 outta 3.my best ride was on a horse. at it was at Churchill Downs. it was a 3/8 work, an i got a bullet for it. i think it was the best workout of the day. my name never was mentioned.  but for me it was a record of sorts.

it never said 3 or 4 wheeler..

there was something that was funny to me, come to think of it. 2 riders were exercising horses on the inside rail. so i had to take the outside route. they almost came off their horses. [rider humor]..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, 01RUBY500 said:

I was looking through some old pictures recently and it got me to thinking why I got back into owning ATV's again.  My most memorable, funnest ride ever is without a doubt when I went to Alaska for the first time and my buddies brother in-law who lived there had a Honda Foreman ES and a Polaris sxs.  He took us on a 23 mile ride (one way) to a Glacier.  It was awesome, we even stopped to fish for salmon in a beautiful stream on the way back.  This got me to thinking it might be nice to hear what everyone else considers their most memorable off road experience, so please share.  Here are just a few pictures from my 2010 Alaska trip.  Enjoy!

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

You set the bar pretty high there.

• Thanks 2

I sure would like to have been with you on that ride.

Most of my rides have been on dirt bikes and it would be hard to pick a best one.  I really don't think I've ever had a bad one.  It's all good when you're out there with friends.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rides we have that are remembered as great and fun for me  ,   are the ones where the worst things go wrong , like when my wife made a wrong turn and got left in the woods by herself   , we all went home , it started raining and storming and someone asked , where's your wife , right about the time she come rolling up soaking wet ---- or the time my buddy broke his leg and another time I saved him from drowning when the Can-Am flipped over on him ,   the numerous times we had to leave atvs in the woods overnight  , or the other buddy liked to pull two fingers off his hand  in the winch cable , or maybe the time one buddy got left by himself at night for a hour and a half in the dark at midnight , before we realized he was not by the house , he  was traumatized as his battery went dead , no flashlight , no light of any kind and he was hearing things in the woods , probably a possum , eh , LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

About every year I have a new one to add to the list. This last summer the kids learned how to do a water wheelie on our annual river run. The smiles on the faces an listening to them talk about it all year long just waiting for the next ride makes it all worth it. I have a lot of stories to tell about past rides with friends but I guess the first time I took the kids would be the most memorable.

• Like 4

That’s @basfnb’s Rubicon. 

We were all supposed to go to South Arkansas to ride one weekend. He was busting a gut to get down there so they left on Thursday. The guy who owns the camp got stuck on his Ranger, and then Bret tried to pull him out with the Rubicon and burned his winch up and got stuck too.

So they rushed down there to get in a good night of riding, got stock 20 minutes after they unloaded, and had to sit around for 24 hours waiting on the rest of us to get there so we could get everything pulled out.

They got back to camp on bret’s old 300 that his twin brother was driving.  Two guys who are 6’ 5”, 250 each, and another guy who’s probably 5’ 10”, 180ish, all three riding that poor 300 back to camp

3A3D90F8-DA33-49F9-85DF-740224A46F97.jpeg

• Haha 2

This was my bachelor party. One of the guys had a lot of beers and got a little too brave driving around in the duck hole, not realizing there was a big ditch around the edge.  Sank his Rubicon.  We had to pull it out and leave it until the next day.

B44781D4-084E-464C-B294-C3625433C158.jpeg

• Haha 1

First big ride I went on after buying my first ATV. My Rincon riding buddy is stuck in the middle of the lake waiting on us to pull him out. I tried to follow him on stocks on my foreman and it died in the water. 

I got lucky and just had to drain the carpet and the exhaust and mine fired right back up and ran fine.  No water in airbox or engine 

That’s @basfnb in the blue next to my then brand new Foreman

5FB7BE85-9BB7-4754-9FF8-FDBA479F107C.jpeg

• Like 1

These days most of my rides look like this.  The guys and I still get together a couple times a year but most of the time it’s me and the kids

9979441C-BA5A-4064-AACD-C1EEFEFDD99F.jpeg

76866F15-E415-41FE-A163-7B2589581755.jpeg

77096A4C-18E1-4B3C-B3CC-0553061FB273.jpeg

AD8E5715-69BE-4D10-A476-426DD9589D94.jpeg

• Like 2

And a couple of other pics I had on my phone from different rides

@basfnb’s Rubicon. Those are 26” Outlaws.  The gumbo in the river bottoms where we ride is pretty sticky.

And my 06 after getting hung on a vine while driving through some floodwater.  Having a snorkel doesn’t help when you’re upside down

CFC7DA49-786E-4462-A75B-7BEDC83C13BC.jpeg

FCFEC2E8-C728-4CF3-8EEB-F3CFAE33B5D5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

forgot about this one. we were riding in a park that over looks louisville. my lights wouldnt adjust, so i couldnt see all that well right in front of me. there were places that were strait drop offs, not to mention deep gullies. i almost went into one of those. i couldnt back out. didnt weight enough. so i locked the breaks, walked around front, and walked on the left side of the 2000. next thing i know i was looking up at my ride. my friend did the same thing as i did, i told him to stop. he dont hear so good, he ended up next to me. i stopped him from falling over. long story short, one of the guys was heavy enough to back out the atv.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

forgot about this one. we were riding in a park that over looks louisville. my lights wouldnt adjust, so i couldnt see all that well right in front of me. there were places that were strait drop offs, not to mention deep gullies. i almost went into one of those. i couldnt back out. didnt weight enough. so i locked the breaks, walked around front, and walked on the left side of the 2000. next thing i know i was looking up at my ride. my friend did the same thing as i did, i told him to stop. he dont hear so good, he ended up next to me. i stopped him from falling over. long story short, one of the guys was heavy enough to back out the atv.

Which park were you riding in LedFTed?  I've rode in Waverly Park and the Brickyard.  The Brickyard connects to Jefferson Memorial Park in Fairdale.  It's a wonder we never got kicked out of those places.  I'd love to go back to the brickyard but there are hills back there that I wouldn't ever attempt with a four wheeler.

Jefferson Memorial i believe. we got in somewhere on dixie highwayy. had to ride beside rail roadtracks that crossed over dixie highway., once crossed under the gene snyder freeway, we rode for about 4 hrs. it was about ten years ago. it was dark when we started, and dark when we got back. other days we rode along side of the ohio., between the levy an the river, beside dixie highway.

Waverly Park is on Dixie.  I've only been there twice and you have to cross over the tracks to get to it unless there's a back way in.  You can get to Jefferson Memorial from National Turnpike and maybe New Cut Road over on the other side.  My friend used to live in the last house on National Turnpike before you got to the brickyard.  We used to ride down the tracks to go in the brickyard and then on over to Jefferson Memorial.  It sounds like you may have been on the other side of the brickyard if you crossed under the Snyder.  My son has ridden on the Ohio River levy but I haven't.  

1 good ride was myself and a few classmates in college. Met up and rode around lots of fields, beside the highways, even went buzzing behind the town court house down the street. Finally made it to an old sand hole and called for a truck and trailer to come get everyone.

2nd ride was local to me. There use to be an old dump and behind it was just a ton of old riding trails. We were just having a good time and decided to hit the road to make a straight shot to the house. We got diverted very quick when we saw a load of troopers where we had to go. Ended up being a wreck and they were attending to that so back in the woods we went. We had to take a short cut through a local rock quarry and we all made it back.

Both had very questionable moments. I was a lot younger and just wanted to have fun. Now I stick to the house. 

• Like 1

wow....you guys really get into some stuff !!   fantastic pics.

the one ride that continues to get talked about at my end was actually on my lil 1979 Trail90....and it really wasn't that big a deal...the reaction from some other riders was what made it fun.

place was stupid muddy that day and they don't maintain the trails so massive ruts from larger machines made riding smaller ATVs tough as they'd bottom out and some 2 wheeler kids were getting stuck in the ruts that had them literally waist deep on their 3/4 size dirt bikes.

I had taken my old red wonder there for the day just to tool around a bit on the easy trails and enjoy some relaxing cruising....kinda see what old school could do.  Was by myself, so I pulled in with a dad and his two kids all on 2 wheelers...but the ruts were causing his kids so much trouble that I left them...I wound up following a string of about 8 ATVs in various configs..and I'm directionally challenged, and the trails are very poorly marked...one thing led to another and we wound up down in a basin..where the boys love to drown their machines in mud holes... I stopped and sat and watched the fun for a while and then my train of guys were ready to head on...trouble was, we were on most aggressive trails and we came around and was looking at a pretty steep hill climb.  I sat the bottom wondering if the smarter move would be to backtrack against traffic and I waited while the smaller machines almost toppled backwards, mud flying everywhere, etc...they finally made the hill and it was time for me to get going.  I actually just watched my balance and rode up the  middle hump...so while it was definitely a low gear careful climb and all the bike had in it, it actually wasn't that bad..nothing compared to what the ATVs were struggling.  when I reached the opening at the top, the whole bunch of them had stopped for a break and checking a couple busted parts on at least one machine... They looked up to see me coming out and they let out a cheer...the one guy walking towards me saying  "Man...you're the effin Man!!! I can't believe you took that hill!!!"  I've got it on my gopro that was handbar mounted...so, yeah, old white haired granpa on an old moped....that was the imagine they had... I didn't bother to tell them that it was just about balance and riding the hump.

ya know, there's likely no way my lil fourtrax 300 would made it up that hill that day...just not enough clearance and the side walls of the trail were impossible to bridge from center hump.

• Like 1