oilcanboyd

'95 TRX400 wont shift past 2nd gear (toodeep)

Hello, like the title says My 95 Foreman 400 just randomly stopped shifting past 2nd gear, I have a hard copy of the service manual and I currently have the Front crankcase cover off, getting ready to remove the 2 clutches. But before getting that deep, figured I should ask about this issue I keep seeing pertaining to the Shift Plate cracking and or the bolt that holds the shift plate shearing/ coming loose. Where does the plate normally crack at ? and also is the loose bolt something really obvious, because I did grab the head of that bolt and It felt tight. IDK I guess I'm just hoping to get some more info on the subject. My first thought was to try and message Mr. toodeep, seems like he is the subject matter expert but I have no content or something, so that didn't work. Anyway if anyone has some info for me I would greatly appreciate it Thanks 👍

I am sure most of you already know, but I am talking about bolt #28 and #7 is the Shift Plate

image.png.b3ee985f0c5c4ae41946f420579c47e5.png

Welcome aboard.  So it will shift into neutral and reverse, and shift up to first but not go past 2nd? 

If that's the case, I would think it would be more likely a shift fork bound up in the transmission.

I had a 500 recently that the bolt (#28) had backed out and it was simply stuck in 4th gear.  Wouldn't do anything.

If yours will still shift Reverse, Neutral, 1st, 2nd, and then back down again without issues to me that would point more towards a shift fork.

Don't tear into it until @toodeep or a half dozen other guys here chime in @shadetree

Sounds like your almost there to check the shift plate (#12). If one side cracks (about mid section) it will still work yet it won't and can cause the issues your having. The bolt that comes loose on the shift drum will have to be removed to get to that shift plate so you will know if it comes out easy or if it takes a little pressure to break it loose. Remember to use loctite on that bolt when going back together.

• Like 1

Thank for the quick replies fellas,I finally have a bit of free time to dive into this thing again. So that bolt seems to be tight, I guess my next step would be to remove that shift plate to check for a crack. I dont yet have one of those centrifugal clutch removal tools so If it is a fork like jeepwm69 was saying I have to order one. Also to answer your question Jeep, It has reverse, neutral, and then 1st and 2nd, then when you try and shift up to 3rd its just like nothing their, no grinding noise or whining noise. But I really appreciate your guys help, I will post later if I am able to find anything.     

So when you would shift into fourth the shifter would click like there was a fourth gear there but it wouldn’t pull, or would it just not upshift and act like you couldn’t go farther than third?

55 minutes ago, oilcanboyd said:

Just a quick update i just was able to get that shift plate out and their is no cracks or breaks on it

PXL_20220817_210756447.jpg

PXL_20220817_210730745.jpg

Brother, that is not the shift plate that you have there-

what you have is (what I call ) the shift star cover, Its actually called the "Plate, shift guide" in the parts diagram

what you want to check are items #11 and #12 in the picture above #12 is the actual shift plate

Let us know what you find out

Edited by AKATV

I can't remember if there is enough room on the 400 but you might be able to remove the shift components with just taking the nut off the change clutch and moving it forward enough.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, AKATV said:

Brother, that is not the shift plate that you have there-

what you have is (what I call ) the shift star cover, Its actually called the "Plate, shift guide" in the parts diagram

what you want to check are items #11 and #12 in the picture above #12 is the actual shift plate

Let us know what you find out

Hello again sorry for the delay, I travel allot for work. But I just got home desperately need to go to sleep but I was reading through some of the posts on the plane today and wanted to check out the parts 11 & 12 that AKATV had mentioned, But what i ended up finding was what i hope is my issue, so i found one of the little dowels that had busted off from this drum shifter, the rest are intact and the one "Dowel Pin #3"  is all there and fine but ya, I just really wanted to post this before my body shuts off, I was able to fish out the sheared  off piece, I can post more photos and whatever else in like 8hrs, But maybe y'all fine gentlemen have some experience with this situation, the attached image is from page 9-3 in the Service Manual just FYI.   

Thanks for the help fellas

😴💤 

image.png

• Like 1

Nice find!

Never seen a sheared off pin on the star wheel before...?

If your shift plate and the rest is is good shape it will be an easy fix!

Post a pic when you can-

AKATV

5 hours ago, oilcanboyd said:

Hello again sorry for the delay, I travel allot for work. But I just got home desperately need to go to sleep but I was reading through some of the posts on the plane today and wanted to check out the parts 11 & 12 that AKATV had mentioned, But what i ended up finding was what i hope is my issue, so i found one of the little dowels that had busted off from this drum shifter, the rest are intact and the one "Dowel Pin #3"  is all there and fine but ya, I just really wanted to post this before my body shuts off, I was able to fish out the sheared  off piece, I can post more photos and whatever else in like 8hrs, But maybe y'all fine gentlemen have some experience with this situation, the attached image is from page 9-3 in the Service Manual just FYI.   

Thanks for the help fellas

😴💤 

image.png

That's about the best news for you! 

8 hours ago, AKATV said:

Nice find!

Never seen a sheared off pin on the star wheel before...?

If your shift plate and the rest is is good shape it will be an easy fix!

Post a pic when you can-

AKATV

7 hours ago, Misterclean said:

That's about the best news for you! 

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies, I was able to snap some photos of AKATV do you guys see any Gotcha's you think i might run into I already ordered and used OEM replacement but do you guys think i will even need to remove either of the clutches, I know that the  piece (#12) sitting on the top of the star is under pretty decent spring tension. How would you fellas go about it? 

Ya I looked around the other forums and did some pretty extensive google-fu and wasn't really able to find much about this issue, but to your point Misterclean, I do feel a bit relived after  finding this, I wasn't really looking forward to digging into that rear crankcase cover and foot shifter assembly, seems like it might be allot easier when the engine is all the way out but ya, anyway look forward to hearing back . 

Thanks Again fellas 

PXL_20220901_022231856.jpg

PXL_20220901_022444977.jpg

PXL_20220901_022553461.jpg

PXL_20220901_022604337.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oilcanboyd said:

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies, I was able to snap some photos of AKATV do you guys see any Gotcha's you think i might run into I already ordered and used OEM replacement but do you guys think i will even need to remove either of the clutches, I know that the  piece (#12) sitting on the top of the star is under pretty decent spring tension. How would you fellas go about it? 

Ya I looked around the other forums and did some pretty extensive google-fu and wasn't really able to find much about this issue, but to your point Misterclean, I do feel a bit relived after  finding this, I wasn't really looking forward to digging into that rear crankcase cover and foot shifter assembly, seems like it might be allot easier when the engine is all the way out but ya, anyway look forward to hearing back . 

Thanks Again fellas 

PXL_20220901_022231856.jpg

PXL_20220901_022444977.jpg

PXL_20220901_022553461.jpg

PXL_20220901_022604337.jpg

wow..thats a first, i've never seen a stud break off of the star wheel in all my 30 yrs of working on honda atvs. you do not need to remove the change clutch in order to replace or remove parts, if my memory is still worth a crap ?..lol, you should be able to change out that star wheel without doing any other work anywhere else on the engine. it would be easier to remove the change clutch for easier work area though. which means the centrifugal clutch has to come out, then the change clutch, both clutches use a 27mm right handed threaded nut.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, shadetree said:

wow..thats a first, i've never seen a stud break off of the star wheel in all my 30 yrs of working on honda atvs. you do not need to remove the change clutch in order to replace or remove parts, if my memory is still worth a crap ?..lol, you should be able to change out that star wheel without doing any other work anywhere else on the engine. it would be easier to remove the change clutch for easier work area though. which means the centrifugal clutch has to come out, then the change clutch, both clutches use a 27mm right handed threaded nut.

On 9/5/2022 at 8:47 AM, plott hound said:

did you manage to get everything back together and working? 

Hey fellas so I was wanting to get some opinions on whether or not I should remove those clutches before replacing that star wheel, The new part comes in the mail today, The issue I was having when I was trying to remove it the other day was I couldn't get part #12 to clear the clutch sitting above it, it's under spring tension and I can pull it back a little bit it still has like a mm till it clears. So idk if anyone has any advice, I would love to avoid pulling the clutch, I did see someone using a 3 arm puller and hose clamps in place of the puller, but ya I'm rambling any help would be sweet, I'll keep y'all posted, again thank you to everyone for the help

image.png

PXL_20220901_022231856.thumb.jpg.d7daea8e6f669b9d5beb55dcaf67fb6a~2.jpg

2 minutes ago, oilcanboyd said:

Hey fellas so I was wanting to get some opinions on whether or not I should remove those clutches before replacing that star wheel, The new part comes in the mail today, The issue I was having when I was trying to remove it the other day was I couldn't get part #12 to clear the clutch sitting above it, it's under spring tension and I can pull it back a little bit it still has like a mm till it clears. So idk if anyone has any advice, I would love to avoid pulling the clutch, I did see someone using a 3 arm puller and hose clamps in place of the puller, but ya I'm rambling any help would be sweet, I'll keep y'all posted, again thank you to everyone for the help

image.png

PXL_20220901_022231856.thumb.jpg.d7daea8e6f669b9d5beb55dcaf67fb6a~2.jpg

can you raise this part up some on the shifting shaft, then rotate it out from under the change clutch ?. worse case, you very well may have to remove the clutches in order to get this part off the shifting shaft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

can you raise this part up some on the shifting shaft, then rotate it out from under the change clutch ?. worse case, you very well may have to remove the clutches in order to get this part off the shifting shaft.

Shoot you know what I feel a bit dumb I didn't even think to try using the foot shifter, I will be home in like 25 min and I will give that a try 

12 minutes ago, oilcanboyd said:

Shoot you know what I feel a bit dumb I didn't even think to try using the foot shifter, I will be home in like 25 min and I will give that a try 

yeah..you '' should '' ?..be able to remove part # 11 up off the shaft, then just pull number # 12 right out once you get it past the shifting shaft.