Busted knuckle

99 honda trx300ex sportrax not shifting

New here and hoping for some help. I have a 99 trx300ex sportrax that is stuck between gears or something. It won't start unless you jump solenoid while trying to start it tries to move. Went ahead and held the clutch and cranked it. Adjusted clutch and even replaced it yesterday with a new clutch. Went for a test ride. 1st gear no problem shift to 2nd the motor stall and your done. Started it back up and now it's in reverse. The reverse lever was down. Has anyone ever had this happen or know what I can look for to fix it

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds to me like the shift detent at the end of the shift drum came loose and is out of alignment. This would make shifting really random just like you are talking about. This can be checked by removing just a side cover. Doesnt require splitting cases. The detent looks like a star has a single pin that fits in a small hole in the shift drum housing. There are valleys that a wheel on an arm with spring tension hold in place. It has a 10mm bolt down the center that requires red locktite on it. Have seen them come loose many times.

• Like 1

We took the clutch side case off last night and rechecked the clutch again. Found something strange there too. If the clutch is out or basket removed it seems to shift correctly not sure on the reverse in the neutral position though. But the shifter will let us through all 5 gears. It rolls super easy. So we decided to pull the clutch and basket put of a perfectly good running 300. Soon as you tighten it up everything locks again. Could that still be on the shift drum and without the clutch there's just no pressure holding it

Almost sounds like something is binding on that clutch main shaft. I would still start with the easy stuff here and check the shift drum end bolt though. Thats where my head goes first and its simple to just remove the side cover and check it out. Pictures help alot with getting these thing sorted also. So anything you can snap pictures of will help us out bud! We will get you through this deal. Just hope its not in the cases. I have split many but its just not a fun task for anyone lol.

• Like 1

I didn't get to tear it back down last night but I will today and I can get some pictures of things while it's apart. Maybe someone with more knowledge will see something I'm not. I've been trying to find a oem manual but only had luck finding Haynes or clymer

9 hours ago, Busted knuckle said:

I didn't get to tear it back down last night but I will today and I can get some pictures of things while it's apart. Maybe someone with more knowledge will see something I'm not. I've been trying to find a oem manual but only had luck finding Haynes or clymer

Sounds good! We have a download for the fsm on here. Its on the drop down tab at the top corner. Service manuals.

• Like 1