BC-Buck

2002 Rubicon front brake needing work

Other day bike R front tire was locked up after siting for two weeks. Put in 4wd and heard bad loud pop. Thought dif,drive shaft, or U joint just gave out. Ran 4 hours seeding food plots and all OK. Pulled front brakes and not full of water but some rust must have had it locked I hope. Looked like moisture might have come in where SS plate bolts to casting. Front brakes have sucked for about 6 months and was because one wheel cylinder on each side not working. Looks like aftermarket rebuild wheel cylinders about $70 + maybe calk where think leak came from. Or 4 OEM cylinders $140 and calk. Last choice I'm a little nervous about would be Highlifter disc brakes $375. What have you guys done?

SuperATV disc conversion , tell them your a member of ATVHonda.com and get 10% off ---

I am from Louisiana , same as Highlifter , and would like to say go with Highlifter , but their kits are Chinese anyways and cost more at that

I've been using super atv kits for years on many machines (my own, customers and friends). They are the way to go and pretty cheap arctic cat brake pads when you do need to replace the pads. The highlifter are good kits as well but (I think this is still the only big difference) the slotted brake disk is something I don't really care for.

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

I've been using super atv kits for years on many machines (my own, customers and friends). They are the way to go and pretty cheap arctic cat brake pads when you do need to replace the pads. The highlifter are good kits as well but (I think this is still the only big difference) the slotted brake disk is something I don't really care for.

I looked at there kit and is quality but at bottom of page I saw this.

If you have OEM aluminum wheels this kit will NOT work.

Just my luck

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

SuperATV disc conversion , tell them your a member of ATVHonda.com and get 10% off ---

would like to say go with Highlifter , but their kits are Chinese anyways and cost more at that

That makes a difference to me also.

9 minutes ago, BC-Buck said:

I looked at there kit and is quality but at bottom of page I saw this.

If you have OEM aluminum wheels this kit will NOT work.

Just my luck

It will work with aluminum rims , grind the edge off of the caliper ( it tells you to do this in the instructions )   or  either buy a set of 1 inch wheel spacers 

iTJqj%sEQkum7XEjwVqPAw.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BC-Buck said:

That makes a difference to me also.

Most of the time they work fine with OEM aluminum wheels.  Occasionally you'll have a little rub, and you just grind a hair off the caliper, which Fishfiles mentioned and has pictured in his 2wd 300 build.

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Most of the time they work fine with OEM aluminum wheels.  Occasionally you'll have a little rub, and you just grind a hair off the caliper, which Fishfiles mentioned and has pictured in his 2wd 300 build.

I tried to edit that pic and it wouldn't let me , so here is another , grind right on the edge , this is with true OEM aluminum front rims  

fullsizeoutput_ff6.jpeg

zP93%qHOSQatyqLddE2zLw.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I tried to edit that pic and it wouldn't let me , so here is another , grind right on the edge , this is with true OEM aluminum front rims  

fullsizeoutput_ff6.jpeg

zP93%qHOSQatyqLddE2zLw.jpg

My concern is do you have any problems with rocks and sticks jamming between wheel and caliper?

20 minutes ago, BC-Buck said:

My concern is do you have any problems with rocks and sticks jamming between wheel and caliper?

I have never seen that happen yet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BC-Buck said:

Nope.  Disc brakes are better than drums in every way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have never seen that happen yet 

If it was going to happen fish would more then likely have it happen, I've never had the pleasure of riding with his clan, but I've seen some pics, lol! Seems like i recall one time a large stick came straight up, aimed right at his leg. 

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 5:42 AM, Fishfiles said:

$239 minus 10% is about $215 , a lot better than Highlifter for $375 

Call on the phone to place the order  , if they give you any problem , tell them talk to Eric about  the discount 

https://www.superatv.com/honda-rancher-front-disc-brake-kit

Hey Fish, I gave SuperAtv a call and they said there was no discount code for our forum. I spoke with Erin. 

Edited by DeTaylor

6 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

Hey Fish, I gave SuperAtv a call and they said there was no discount code for our forum. I spoke with Erin. 

Eric  not Erin ! 

Let's see if we can get him 

@SuperATV

• Like 1

DO NOT BUY HIGHLIFTER KIT! Was not going to make a post till after hearing from them but already have to unanswered calls and when find time will leave poor amazon review.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BC-Buck said:

DO NOT BUY HIGHLIFTER KIT! Was not going to make a post till after hearing from them but already have to unanswered calls and when find time will leave poor amazon review.

i used to buy only high lifter, until i discovered they are putting china parts in the kits, i called them up, and called them out on it, they should and can be sued for posting ad's made in usa..when they really are not all usa parts now !. i will follow flishfiles advice when the time comes to use super atv front disk brake kit for this '02 trx450fm/s i am restoring. and yes..some of the packaging had '' made in china '' on them !!..rofl.

• Like 2

I'm here!  Lol!  Sorry guys, I completely forgot about this forum.  I still frequent the "other" one, but this one slipped my mind.  I'll try to check in here more often. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperATV said:

I'm here!  Lol!  Sorry guys, I completely forgot about this forum.  I still frequent the "other" one, but this one slipped my mind.  I'll try to check in here more often. 

Not much traffic on the old board anymore. We haven’t been around long enough to lead the search results, but we have a much bigger knowledge base here than anywhere else.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Not much traffic on the old board anymore. We haven’t been around long enough to lead the search results, but we have a much bigger knowledge base here than anywhere else.

That's for sure.  I'll start sending people over here when I'm asked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1