Tyler

2000 foreman 450es shifting problem.

HELP NEEDED!!! 
First off thank you for taking the time to read this post. 
I’m having an issue with my 2000 foreman 450es. Bike worked fine when it was put away in the fall. Took it out a few times around the yard early spring worked fine. Went to go on a run the end of may. Didn’t make it a quarter mile down the road and the speedometer started jumping all over the place. Then it started to get stuck in gear every time you hit the high rpm. If kept under half throttle or so it shift perfect. But once you try to go in to the high rpm it gets stuck in whatever gear you’re in. Shut the bike off, turn the key on and you can shift back to neutral. Fires up and shift fine again until the high rpm. 
I have tried. 
2-Ecu or ecm 
2- speed sensors
2-angle sensors
2-digital displays
2-voltage regulators 
With no luck. 
Since then I have been searching forums and probing wires. But I’m finally at a loss. 
Everything seems to be fine. All voltages are within spec, checked at the battery, voltage regulator, speed sensor etc. Continuity everywhere. 
Is there something I’m missing? 
I’ve been at this almost three months and I’ve finally hit a wall. 

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum Tyler!

Wow it  looks like you’ve been swapping a lot of parts!

Do you have a copy of the Honda factory service manual and have you followed the flow chart for troubleshooting the ES system?

The ECU is designed to shut down shifting when it detects a fault and it resets when you turn the key off and back on.

It sounds like that’s exactly what it’s doing

So that’s good news, it means the ECU is detecting a fault, now we just need to determine what it is

When you say this speedometer  was all over the place, do you mean the speed indication was incorrect?

If that’s the case, I would start by checking your speed sensor as per the manual these old shaft driven speed sensors go bad quite a lot

Download the manual if you need it here on the forum and let us know what you find out

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tyler said:

HELP NEEDED!!! 
First off thank you for taking the time to read this post. 
I’m having an issue with my 2000 foreman 450es. Bike worked fine when it was put away in the fall. Took it out a few times around the yard early spring worked fine. Went to go on a run the end of may. Didn’t make it a quarter mile down the road and the speedometer started jumping all over the place. Then it started to get stuck in gear every time you hit the high rpm. If kept under half throttle or so it shift perfect. But once you try to go in to the high rpm it gets stuck in whatever gear you’re in. Shut the bike off, turn the key on and you can shift back to neutral. Fires up and shift fine again until the high rpm. 
I have tried. 
2-Ecu or ecm 
2- speed sensors
2-angle sensors
2-digital displays
2-voltage regulators 

With no luck. 
Since then I have been searching forums and probing wires. But I’m finally at a loss. 
Everything seems to be fine. All voltages are within spec, checked at the battery, voltage regulator, speed sensor etc. Continuity everywhere. 
Is there something I’m missing? 
I’ve been at this almost three months and I’ve finally hit a wall. 

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

First question, are these OEM parts or amazon/ebay aftermarket crap?

All genuine Honda parts taken off an identical 2000 foreman that works great. So I know all the parts are good. I have the service manual and have fallowed along. That’s what I don’t understand everything is to spec. 

You swapped all those components but the one thing that you didn’t swap is the harness, and each one of  those components has a plug on the harness that could have a corroded or missing pin

I would start by checking each and every plug to make sure -especially your speedometer plug because there is a speed control line that goes through the speedometer and back to the ECU and if you have water or corrosion in the grey speedometer plug that shorts that signal line it would cause an erratic speed signal which would look like a bad speed sensor which in turn the ECU would detect and shut down shifting

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

I have already gone through every plug myself, no issues found. Cleaned them all and made sure to apply dialectic grease. 
then took it to a repair shop in the area that’s known to be quite good with electrical, no issues could be found by the shop either.

could it be something in the transmission?

Your electronic control unit is detecting something out of range electronically and shutting down shifting, as its supposed to

My moneys on the speed sensor or possibly the angle sensor

if you still have a machine available to swap parts I would not only try putting that machine parts on yours to retest when you do that I will put your component on that machine to also test

But if not, I would  just take a breath and start from the beginning and use the flow chart step-by-step in the manual until you reach the point of failure

Thanks for the suggestions. I did already try putting the parts on my other bike to see if it made any difference. But to no avail. The bike that works fine kept working fine even with all the parts from the bike with shifting issues. 
I will have to tear In to it again hopefully the third time is the charm. 

Sounds to me like it’s actually shifting fine if it goes up through the gears and down to the gears just fine at low RPM you said at higher RPM the speedometer was all over the place and then it shut down shifting

Sounds to me like mechanically the transmission is OK something is happening with one of the electronic inputs at a higher RPM that’s causing the ECU to detect a failure to shut shifting down

When you said the speedometer was all over the place what was it doing exactly?