riverc

Honda Big Red 250

Going look at one tomorrow it's not running now but was not long ago. The lady doesn't ride it very much it sits most of the time. May be a dirty carb & Gas she wants $250 as is might buy it ! for that price hard to pass up.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

For $250 it would be hard to pass up even in very rough shape. In good shape they are getting some good money out of them and it seems to increase more every year. .

• Like 2

After power wash when I turn key the neutral light won't come if I wiggle key around it comes on

20220822_172740.jpg

20220822_172658.jpg

• Like 4

For that price yup! But I'd  rid her of some of the mess that's been added. I can tell you this...... She'd sell quick around here, more then likely my old boss little Johnny would make off with her, fix her up,sell her  and make some money! 

53 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

For that price yup! But I'd  rid her of some of the mess that's been added. I can tell you this...... She'd sell quick around here, more then likely my old boss little Johnny would make off with her, fix her up,sell her  and make some money! 

No selling been looking for a Big Red since I moved back to Louisiana 5 years ago. Got put on the back burner for a while when wife bought 300 Brute Force. I'm going to use it hunting and keeping center of road cleaned 4-Wheeler doesn't do that. Will get new decals and paint gas tank and racks. The lady I bought it from seems to think it has electrical problem when i first turned key on green neutral light didn't come on, I wiggled key around and it came on. Didn't start no gas in tank. I'm not the best at mechanic work I will try everything I can if it doesn't start will have no choice but taking it to the shop.

You scored gold with it having both side covers. Download the service manual, ohm out the ignition switch and you'll probably find that issue. Possibly a little contact cleaner sprayed in it and working it can revive it, if it is that. Decals usually don't stick very well to those plastic tanks. Once you get it sanded down you'll probably have a red tank again. Just a razor blade will scrape off most of the damage.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, riverc said:

No selling been looking for a Big Red since I moved back to Louisiana 5 years ago. Got put on the back burner for a while when wife bought 300 Brute Force. I'm going to use it hunting and keeping center of road cleaned 4-Wheeler doesn't do that. Will get new decals and paint gas tank and racks. The lady I bought it from seems to think it has electrical problem when i first turned key on green neutral light didn't come on, I wiggled key around and it came on. Didn't start no gas in tank. I'm not the best at mechanic work I will try everything I can if it doesn't start will have no choice but taking it to the shop.

Oh no i wasn't sudjusting to fix her and flip her..... Lol, little Johnny runs a bike shop just up the street from my place  electrical problem ? Might also look over the bike for rodent damaged wires if it's been allowed to sit for very long..... 

I agree with toodeep

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

You scored gold with it having both side covers. Download the service manual, ohm out the ignition switch and you'll probably find that issue. Possibly a little contact cleaner sprayed in it and working it can revive it, if it is that. Decals usually don't stick very well to those plastic tanks. Once you get it sanded down you'll probably have a red tank again. Just a razor blade will scrape off most of the damage.

I don't see a service manual download on this site for the 1985 Big Red.

Under manuals , then click ATC , scroll down the page ,   there is a 85-87 ATC250ES manual , I just searched it out 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Under manuals , then click ATC , scroll down the page ,   there is a 85-87 ATC250ES manual , I just searched it out 

Thanks I found it.

5 hours ago, riverc said:

Different looking air filter on the big red?20220822_222040.jpg

Are you asking ? Cause that looks like the cage, and i see your on ebay, is yours missing ? If so you might need some of these other items some which are not avalible...... Via a honda distributer. 

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506ba8cef870023420a2119d/air-cleaner

#4 body air filter

#13 foam filter

!#14 band

#27 pan head screw (4x20)

#29 Screw washer (6x12)

#28 pan head screw (6x8)

#8 stay air cleaner element

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Are you asking ? Cause that looks like the cage, and i see your on ebay, is yours missing ? If so you might need some of these other items some which are not avalible...... Via a honda distributer. 

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506ba8cef870023420a2119d/air-cleaner

#4 body air filter

#13 foam filter

!#14 band

#27 pan head screw (4x20)

#29 Screw washer (6x12)

#28 pan head screw (6x8)

#8 stay air cleaner element

I will take a picture of what's on the bike whenever this rain goes away radar looks covered so it may rain off and on most of the day.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, riverc said:

After power wash when I turn key the neutral light won't come if I wiggle key around it comes on

20220822_172740.jpg

20220822_172658.jpg

Stole it. 

Were it mine I'd try to find an original tank for it.

Spray some contact cleaner down in the key switch.  The TRX250 I had was doing the same thing.  Sprayed some cleaner down in the switch and worked it back and forth a few times and it works fine now.

• Like 2

This may be the electrical trouble pulled the plug off to check for spark. No spark left it off hanging down to do something else. Well went back the boot and plug were laying on ground. So I put cable against motor and it's sparking. What's the name of the part and best place to buy a new one?  

What about air filter does it look good should I change it?

20220824_150630.jpg

20220824_150926.jpg

• Like 1

That spark plug boot screws onto the wire , there is a threaded screw inside the boot ,  cut 1/4 inch off  first to get a good connection 

That is not the air filter , you don't have a air filter at all  that is the screen that goes inside the air filter 

I will find you the air filter part number 

• Like 2

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

You just beat me to posting on the air filter.

I think you beat me , you posted up the parts  he might have been missing  or something like that 

Here is a good old  Chinese filter for 1/2 the price of partzilla for  $17 , also seen a kit , air filter , oil filter and a spark plug for $17.99 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284146988403?hash=item42287af573:g:masAAOSwc1Vf~0~f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8PIWH1xxakP7bGikcsq1qpCgG8xcaMlfUh1tL6wqANMoI46LJFdQqZmkAreoOR43V4AGiMBPgnwR6MjXG4zY%2B5n5o7onA7SYX9rUpVKFF8mfgffjid%2Fu4Oucz3sWxxUrFYGfLJLDce1nY7iuTqbQIyQXbj9ajdQDajAW0qubw%2FQAlNvyxXis5i%2BehDtvq4%2FKqpGQx5ga33EfwSPm8vqHGofNBjYAIGZv1c%2BsPbMoEiQ9yBwt5VMpWgG2j92p75s9TBAxLmjLhkm400oTR%2BZ%2Bsc1w%2FGKvWXxkFR7hGKyNFeQxMK8U3XCS0Qyz9Ve9jGyK%2FA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMsJ3Omdpg

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Did like you said it won't screw into cable 

You can see from this print , it is supposed to detach , if it ain't screwing on then either a piece of wire is still inside the boot , the wire end is worn out ( did you cut off a 1/4 inch or so to get a fresh end )  or the screw inside the boot is broken off  , or maybe that 250ES is made different and had a steel terminal on the end of the wire  ---------  #5 is the boot and is no longer available from Honda 

image.png

53 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You can see from this print , it is supposed to detach , if it ain't screwing on then either a piece of wire is still inside the boot , the wire end is worn out ( did you cut off a 1/4 inch or so to get a fresh end )  or the screw inside the boot is broken off  , or maybe that 250ES is made different and had a steel terminal on the end of the wire  ---------  #5 is the boot and is no longer available from Honda 

image.png

lucky for us, all boots that screw into the spark plug coil wire will interchange between all honda's.