riverc

Honda Big Red 250

22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lucky for us, all boots that screw into the spark plug coil wire will interchange between all honda's.

I had a TRX250ES and a ATC200 ,  both were brand new off the showroom floor , I can't remember how the plug wire was made , do remember getting hurt bad on the 250ES  , be careful ------- 

If it is a crimped steel terminal on the end of the spark plug wire  and it is broken off , I would think you might could , modify it and use the screw on type you mentioned , like on a 300 , 450 and many of the Hondas ---- another option would be a lawn mower style plug cap and crimp a end on the wire --- worst case , if all else fails ,  look for  used OEM coil with the cap on the wire 

Was able to get the threaded screw out of the boot, couldn't get it to stay on end of cable so had to solder it it's half ! but got the bike started. Idles good and no smoke.       

Now I need to find the cable part so I can have a backup. Thanks for the help fish was much appreciated.

• Like 2

The coil with wire is still available , the cap  isn't 

30510-HA0-000 COIL, IGNITION
  • 30510-HA0-000 COIL, IGNITION
  • 30510-HA0-000 COIL, IGNITION

COIL, IGNITION

30510-HA0-000

by Honda

$70.09 7% OFF

$65.18

CAP ASSY., NOISE SUPPRESSOR

30700-965-003

by Honda

Currently Unavailable.

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Stole it. 

Were it mine I'd try to find an original tank for it.

Spray some contact cleaner down in the key switch.  The TRX250 I had was doing the same thing.  Sprayed some cleaner down in the switch and worked it back and forth a few times and it works fine now.

Jeep, sprayed some wd-40 in keyhole let sit a couple hours seems to be working fine now...Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

So thee is no carb issue like the PO thought  ? That's great! .congratst river, you indeed scored ,great with purchase. 

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

So thee is no carb issue like the PO thought  ? That's great! .congratst river, you indeed scored ,great with purchase. 

Wilson, to make you happy I removed gun rack & boot.... Took the winch off but going to put a new one on that will come in handy if needed. 

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, toodeep said:

You scored gold with it having both side covers. Download the service manual, ohm out the ignition switch and you'll probably find that issue. Possibly a little contact cleaner sprayed in it and working it can revive it, if it is that. Decals usually don't stick very well to those plastic tanks. Once you get it sanded down you'll probably have a red tank again. Just a razor blade will scrape off most of the damage.

Toodeep, thanks on gas tank will work at that.

Great score for the money!! Congrats!

My shifter side rear tire wouldn't hold air so took it off and had it fixed. I noticed some wobble probably bearing going bad. How hard  is it to change the wheel bearing on this old bike?

Left rear is pretty simple but it should give more of an up/down play than a wobble. I would check and make sure the hub didn't come loose. Back to the bearing just remove the tube and drive out the old bearing and install the new. They are a double bearing in there.

Cleaning it up stripped off all the extras she put on it.

20220829_160930.jpg

20220822_172740.jpg

• Like 5

When I pulled plug on rear-end no oil came out. It is all dirty looks like rust. Sprayed a whole can of Lucas part cleaner and air 4 times well it did no good checked today and fresh oil is brown. Was looking around on ebay and bought this one looks much better than mine. Now will have to changeout may need help if I get stuck lol.

20220905_212100.jpg

20220905_212109.jpg

20220905_212044.jpg

On 9/5/2022 at 9:36 PM, riverc said:

When I pulled plug on rear-end no oil came out. It is all dirty looks like rust. Sprayed a whole can of Lucas part cleaner and air 4 times well it did no good checked today and fresh oil is brown. Was looking around on ebay and bought this one looks much better than mine. Now will have to changeout may need help if I get stuck lol.

20220905_212100.jpg

20220905_212109.jpg

20220905_212044.jpg

Keep your old diff!  Take it apart, soak it in some diesel or kerosene, and you can put new bearings in it and run it.   They don't make gears for those diffs anymore and sooner or later the 300 crowd will suck up any available diffs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Keep your old diff!  Take it apart, soak it in some diesel or kerosene, and you can put new bearings in it and run it.   They don't make gears for those diffs anymore and sooner or later the 300 crowd will suck up any available diffs.

Ì am going to keep it and rebuild later. Hear you need special tool to remove gear and that gear bearing. Is a problem to get òut.

5 hours ago, riverc said:

Ì am going to keep it and rebuild later. Hear you need special tool to remove gear and that gear bearing. Is a problem to get òut.

Special tools make it easier , but you can get it done with some homemade stuff -----  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, riverc said:

Watch these.  Holds true for pretty much any Honda ATV rear diff.  The tough part is getting that little pinion support bearing out.  The rest is easy.

Only special tool you need is the Pinion star nut socket.  An impact makes it really easy if you have the socket. 

I have an extra socket.  If you want to tackle a rebuild PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Watch these.  Holds true for pretty much any Honda ATV rear diff.  The tough part is getting that little pinion support bearing out.  The rest is easy.

Only special tool you need is the Pinion star nut socket.  An impact makes it really easy if you have the socket. 

I have an extra socket.  If you want to tackle a rebuild PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

and if you do not have that socket ?, you can use a 1 1/2x 1 1/2 sqaure tubbing to fit in the spec nut, will just need to round off the corners a tad to make it fit tight.

• Like 2

That's what little Johnny (old boss) has at his shop, he worked as a  machinist @ general machine works in columbia for a few yearshen decided he liked wrenching on bikes more...... And wilson cycles was born, he made a number of tools he still uses to this day, here's a few pics of the shop, it sure was a sad day when the owner was involed in a wreck that disabled him, and they closed, and general did a few jobs for our farming operation

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

That's what little Johnny (old boss) has at his shop, he worked as a  machinist @ general machine works in columbia for a few yearshen decided he liked wrenching on bikes more...... And wilson cycles was born, he made a number of tools he still uses to this day, here's a few pics of the shop, it sure was a sad day when the owner was involed in a wreck that disabled him, and they closed, and general did a few jobs for our farming operation

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Man I'd love to have a lathe like that.  I would have to figure out how to use it, but I still want one!

• Like 2

Yeah, you and me both! His bike shop is a candy store for guys like you me shade fish, heck most anyone who likes metal working, i think i told fish what Johnny told me one time, but now he's like shade..... He'll mess with your brain...... Just to teach you, and it's fun, my pop taught him in school, told me Johnny was sharp as a whip... Anyways... We were playing quarter poker one night over beers, and his favorite show the old black and white gunsmoke.... And so we were just talking a er what we had to work on the next day, and i had  walked over to cut the air compressor off for the night, so i asked about his Bridgeport, i had inquired how he moved it in, and he said your pop never told you ?? I said naw not a word, so he said he took that tractor ( jeep >>>  that johndeere 2630 ) and lifted one side up, and started putting down metal rods under it, and that how they roled it into the shop .....no idea how much it weighs, but that tractor had good front tires, but when pop started lifting both those front tires squatted ...... Lol with 55psi ( which is more then we normally ran ( low air pressure makes for a better hill side grip, and ride, then high pressure)  anyways ..... So the convo and poker game goes on, and he says did you know you can machine a Bridgeport  using using another Bridgeport ......from then on i watched him real close..... Lol... I have so many crazy stories.... Like that....but one thing  i can say is God sure picked or turned me in the direction of some fine people ..... And i am very greatful !!

pardon me for derailing the thread

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

Started on the rear end swap looks like the left hub wants to be stubborn will some heat with small torch help break it loose?

20220909_173839.jpg

20220909_173820.jpg

14 hours ago, riverc said:

Started on the rear end swap looks like the left hub wants to be stubborn will some heat with small torch help break it loose?

20220909_173839.jpg

20220909_173820.jpg

Was able to get it off kept tapping it and off she came.

39 minutes ago, riverc said:

Was able to get it off kept tapping it and off she came.

The guys over at the  Honda 300 Club would tell you , next time ,  hit it harder with your purse , LOL 

Looking at your swing arm , I'd say it is a 85 , or could be  an early production 86  , after that the right side tube  was not welded to the swing arm and the brake drum is different , the axle length is also unique to the rear end  

Got the rear final drive swapped today went OK. Look at the picture with hose that comes from the rear end it a has a piece of copper wire in it like someone spliced it together what is the purpose of that hose?

Well the bearing in the left tube broke when knocking out now the 2 outer races are stuck in there the other side got 1-knocked in far as I can going to see lf auto store has a bearing driving tool I can rent so I can get them put in easier.

20220911_161154.jpg

20220911_160705.jpg

• Like 1