jeepwm69

Carb float post broke off......

Got a junk carb cheap for a Foreman 500 (was cheap) and figured I'd put a kit in it and use it.

During disassembly, the carb float pin post on one side broke off.

Anyone ever fix one of these?  I found a couple of possible solutions.  One being using a standoff stud as pictured in this thread.

https://www.cx500forum.com/threads/carb-float-post-repair.11407/

My other thought was to drill a tiny hole through the original post, and down into the carb body, epoxy a pin in that hole, and then use some JB Weld around the crack, hoping that the combination of the pin and the JB would hold it in place.

Anyone ever tried to fix one of these?  Not really cost effective to do so.  Just doing it because I hate to throw stuff away.

• Like 1

Think I would hunt down another carb .  Powersportsnation would be the first place I looked 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Think I would hunt down another carb .  Powersportsnation would be the first place I looked 

! fish, you know I have other carbs.  I just like to fix things for the sake of fixing them

• Like 3

Lol! ^^^^^^ oh man we are so much alike.......always more then one way to skin a cat...... I call it a decease, OR macgyvering......

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

! fish, you know I have other carbs.  I just like to fix things for the sake of fixing them

Grandpa use to always tell me  " it is hard to make chicken salad , when all you got is chicken $-hit "  , but then Grandma would say " cooked right a turd would taste good with the right seasonings " ,  carry on , LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

in the past, i made one work with super gluing the post back together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard them called Float towers. Can probably find another carb and keep broken one for parts.

• Like 2

I'm gonna try that drill/pin/jb weld trick on the youtube video.  I have a bunch of tiny drill bits from Walmarks clearance aisle, so will try that route.

If it doesn't work, it'll be a parts carb. LOL

Yes, it can work have repaired several over the years. I have never tried to pin them did not need to, did embed stiff short wire into the jb weld. Years later it is still working !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, oldmxrider said:

Yes, it can work have repaired several over the years. I have never tried to pin them did not need to, did embed stiff short wire into the jb weld. Years later it is still working !

That short wire in the JB weld was a nice touch.

I drilled a hole like the guy in the youtube video, put a pin in the hole, and then put the post in place and used marine JB weld on the inside and outside of the post, along with some short wire as @oldmxrider suggested.  Float seemed to work fine, so I put a Shindy rebuild kit in the carb and put it back together.

Got the carb installed on my 09 yesterday and it fired right up and purrs.  No leak from the bowl so apparently it works, for now at least.   This is on a Foreman I won't part with, so if the repair ever fails I'll come back here and update the thread.

carb2.jpg

carb.jpg

• Like 3