Misterclean

Plush riding Honda?

I'm looking for the easiest steering and plushest riding Honda four wheeler for my wife. She has a shoulder injury that can't take all the bouncing and pushing and pulling on the bars. I know Honda has four wheel independent suspension and power steering but I have no personal opinions about them because I've never rode one. We currently have a pair of entry level TRX 420's that are perfect for me and her when no bouncing on rocks etc. Does anyone know if Honda makes a four wheel independent suspended, power steering ,manual shift 420 and how does it compare with other brands and models with premium suspension? Thanks in advance.

Don't know how they ride, but to get IRS with a footshift you have to go Rubicon.

https://powersports.honda.com/atv/recutility/fourtrax-foreman-rubicon-4x4

My wife had a DCT (automatic) Rancher with IRS, didn't want power steering, and she hated the way it shifted.  She ended up claiming an 05 Rubicon that I picked up a year or so ago. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Don't know how they ride, but to get IRS with a footshift you have to go Rubicon.

https://powersports.honda.com/atv/recutility/fourtrax-foreman-rubicon-4x4

My wife had a DCT (automatic) Rancher with IRS, didn't want power steering, and she hated the way it shifted.  She ended up claiming an 05 Rubicon that I picked up a year or so ago. 

Thanks, we don't want an auto shift either. DCT does that stand for dual clutch transmission?

Just now, Misterclean said:

Thanks, we don't want an auto shift either. DCT does that stand for dual clutch transmission?

Yes.  Wife's 09 Rancher was the first year of the DCT. 

It does ok in ESP mode (buttons on handlebar) but the auto shifting is garbage, especially in the mud.

I'd try to find your wife a footshift Rubicon with IRS.

• Like 1

The newer Rubicon is the only IRS machine that is offered in a manual shift. Everything else is the automatic. I have a 420 auto with power steering and I am use to how it shifts so that doesn't bother me. As far as a plush ride, it's smother than a SRA but the lack of suspension travel I wouldn't call it plush. If you go to the other brands you'll find better power steering and the plush rides but that's the dark side.. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, toodeep said:

The newer Rubicon is the only IRS machine that is offered in a manual shift. Everything else is the automatic. I have a 420 auto with power steering and I am use to how it shifts so that doesn't bother me. As far as a plush ride, it's smother than a SRA but the lack of suspension travel I wouldn't call it plush. If you go to the other brands you'll find better power steering and the plush rides but that's the dark side.. lol

Eh, Yamaha is still staying the same gene pool, right?

My wife really liked the Rincon we borrowed one night (hers broke down, my buddy left his key in his Rincon at his camp, so we helped ourselves to it LOL)

The Rincon shines as a trail machine, but they don't offer them with PS.

She's not getting a Rincon.  She'd wrap it around a tree after a few beers.

17 hours ago, toodeep said:

That was what i was thinking. I've heard Polaris has outstanding suspension on their utility quads.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Eh, Yamaha is still staying the same gene pool, right?

My wife really liked the Rincon we borrowed one night (hers broke down, my buddy left his key in his Rincon at his camp, so we helped ourselves to it LOL)

The Rincon shines as a trail machine, but they don't offer them with PS.

She's not getting a Rincon.  She'd wrap it around a tree after a few beers.

You are correct that yamaha is in the same gene pool. I've owned yamaha yz 250 dirt bikes for 30 years and a few old four wheelers. They are great quality. Too bad the Rincon doesn't have power steering.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion, so here is mine. My wife and I started off with Honda in 1998, both Foremans. Great machines, never let us down, all around great quads. In early 2000, we switched over to Yamaha's, both Kodiaks, again, good machines. Then again, around 2010, we went over to Polaris, both Sportsmans, ended up with PS models later on, and what a nice change that was, lots of fun to ride. Then, speed up to 2021, both getting older, took a look at the new 520 Rubicons with - EPS - IRS - DCT, took them for a ride, and we were both sold ! The DCT shifts like butter, after the software update, and  yes, not that great in mud when in DCT - but you also have the - Electronic shift option which works very well for everything. When we both go out for rodes, my wife just loves how the PS works, and how effortless it is to drive. She can pretty much do a full day on the trails now, with no fatigue like before. I mainly use mine for hunting Big game, and I must admit, when we are is the dense forest, these things are the most nibble quad i have ever driven. It just seems small, and its very easy to maneuver around trees and stumps, and I don't have to worry about any belt issues in the deeper water. Put the Diff Lock on in Low first gear, ! near pull anything out of the bush, again, with no belt slip. Also, with their new electronic reverse change as of 2020, that was the hold back for me, and it now also works great. It would be pretty much impossible now for us to want to look at anything else. 

Good luck shopping, but taken them for a ride should tell the story. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Everyone is going to have their own opinion, so here is mine. My wife and I started off with Honda in 1998, both Foremans. Great machines, never let us down, all around great quads. In early 2000, we switched over to Yamaha's, both Kodiaks, again, good machines. Then again, around 2010, we went over to Polaris, both Sportsmans, ended up with PS models later on, and what a nice change that was, lots of fun to ride. Then, speed up to 2021, both getting older, took a look at the new 520 Rubicons with - EPS - IRS - DCT, took them for a ride, and we were both sold ! The DCT shifts like butter, after the software update, and  yes, not that great in mud when in DCT - but you also have the - Electronic shift option which works very well for everything. When we both go out for rodes, my wife just loves how the PS works, and how effortless it is to drive. She can pretty much do a full day on the trails now, with no fatigue like before. I mainly use mine for hunting Big game, and I must admit, when we are is the dense forest, these things are the most nibble quad i have ever driven. It just seems small, and its very easy to maneuver around trees and stumps, and I don't have to worry about any belt issues in the deeper water. Put the Diff Lock on in Low first gear, ! near pull anything out of the bush, again, with no belt slip. Also, with their new electronic reverse change as of 2020, that was the hold back for me, and it now also works great. It would be pretty much impossible now for us to want to look at anything else. 

Good luck shopping, but taken them for a ride should tell the story. 

Thank you for the personal touch. Does the Rubicon come in 2 wd? We dont plan on deep mud or ice......our 2wd seems adequate.