_Wilson_™

Atv riding supply's

What do you take on your long trips ..... For camping, hunting, or just multie day rides ? These are SOME things i take along ... Water, Drinks, eata snacks, Knife with strike anywhere matches head lamp,(with spare batteries)  leatherman tool, rain suit, duct tape , zip ties, black tape, binoculars, waders, bug spray, wire cutters, axes, rope saw, cell phone, ham radio, (with spare battery) tool kits, air pump, rubber boots, (SOME TIMES) my shot gun / side arm, eye glasses, (spare gas, warm clothing, tent, and sleeping bag) << not pictured. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Is this with you on the quad? Do you pull a trailer or something? Im confused. I know utility quad boxes can be big but wow. I usually have my cell phone in a water proof bag around my neck and a camelbak. I small multi tool in the pocket on my camelbak. If we go on real long rides i bring a book bag with a small electric air pump with battery clips on it. Some tire plugs. Extra tools. A few extra lug nuts. Spark plugs. Some food and drinks. Generally i dont go on trips where im super far away from camp though. If i do its with some guys on utility quads to haul gas.

• Like 1

All my trips so far (one year into it) have been 4 to 6 hours. 

But none the less, I usually take with me all those things except the tent and sleeping bag.  I have yet to get to that, but I will.

And I bring it all back.  The only thing I don't bring back that I take is a sandwich.  I usually eat that, but usually don't even get to the chips or candy bars. 

Oh, water, I do drink water all along the way.

Yes I have two large Kolpin boxes, one front, one rear. 

And they usually are full. 

Also I pick up trash on the way back in, so I usually have a bag of aluminum cans, bottles, empty water bottles, and maybe some cardboard containers.  That way the forest, trail, etc is in (somewhat) better condition than when I went out there.   It's amazing how little regard people have for the beauty of the natural world that they would throw their trash out there like that.

dc

• Like 2

looks like a zombie bug-out ATV pack (grin)..don't get me wrong.. I'm all for it...and lord knows...that little plastic basket on the nose rack of my honda tends to just keep filling up with a lot of the same.

i don't have reason to go on multi-day camp trips via my quad..but if I did, yeah it would basically be my old tent camp days with all the supplies I'd have used (before I got soft and moved up to a travel trailer...LOL)

my 'daily'  means I'm likely out there doing some trail cleaning, trail cam maintenance, general ride pleasure.

there's a folder saw, wrap of good rope, plus a tow rope, spare can of gas and usually a small can premix for the chain saw/brush cutter.  

water bottle, gloves, eye protection, tire repair/hand pump, etc.

on my person is where you'll find my knife, sidearm (long gun in the boot on occassion), hearing protection. cell phone or on occassion a GMRS radio.. I have some 5 watters in those bands rather than grabbing one of my HAMs.

come a day I need to actually bug out fast and if the honda makes sense..then there's a prepacked BOB..but that's a different thread..likely a different forum.

• Like 1

Yeah, Most if it .... Slammebed.... Lol the waders,and  shotgun (rarely go) i forgot to mention the iron skillet and cooking utensils As for storage, rubber heavy made totes... And a back back .... She's loaded when i go for long rides...Lol! .... Sadly .... I haven't had time lately just go on a ride and enjoy being away... 

a zombie bug-out ATV pack (grin)

id have to agree.... Lol

On 1/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

What do you take on your long trips ..... For camping, hunting, or just multie day rides ? These are SOME things i take along ... Water, Drinks, eata snacks, Knife with strike anywhere matches head lamp,(with spare batteries)  leatherman tool, rain suit, duct tape , zip ties, black tape, binoculars, waders, bug spray, wire cutters, axes, rope saw, cell phone, ham radio, (with spare battery) tool kits, air pump, rubber boots, (SOME TIMES) my shot gun / side arm, eye glasses, (spare gas, warm clothing, tent, and sleeping bag) << not pictured. 

image.jpg

is that an old Yaesu FT I see in the pic?.. I can't even find mine at the moment... trying to figure out why it's not in my get home bag..I had to grab the Baofeng early in the week cause I wanted to be able to listen in on my locals if Iran continued to kick up sand..so once again, the cheap radio is seeing airtime.. man I gotta tear my car trunk apart and find my good radio!!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, David13 said:

"Yes I have two large Kolpin boxes, one front, one rear. 

And they usually are full. "

my wife...bless her sweetness...bought me a Kolpin a year or so back...she just got what the local shop had and I do appreciate it..but it's the big one, so dang long...yes it'll accept "other shaped rifles"...ie an AR, but unless it's hunting season and you wanna load up a big long gun, it's just overkill and too much for a shorty carbine or pump gun with collapsible...in fact on the occassion when I wanted to run out back and be better equiped, I just sling a mossberg over my back and go.

I believe Kolpin makes a shorter case... I really need check and see as I know she often wonders why I don't have that thing on the bike.

my 2wheeler has a nice soft scabbard strapped along side the front right fork..works great.

On 1/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, David13 said:

• Like 1

is that an old Yaesu FT I see in the pic?

No, i wish i had one! Lol this one is a low meduim, and high power uv-82hp baofeng .... I take this radio everywhere i go... It's got all the analog frequencies for emergencies services, PLUS murs, gmrs/frs, and a few local ham repeaters, for  MTEARS ---- Middle Tennessee Emergency Amateur Repeater System

image.jpg

• Like 1

ah...now I can actually see it in the pic....

I know the brand catches a lot of crap out in radioland, but honestly mine has put up with a couple years now of being left in the car..100+ heat in summer, freezing nights in winter..usually it's stuffed in between my drivers seat and the center console connected to a cartop antenna...programming is a bit different and the dang antenna so I can't just swap hand whips etc between it and the Yaesu without having the extra adapter...that's a bit of a pain...so both radios have their own whips.

I got the 8watter on a whim..but checking with the boys in the area...it seems to do fine, bit better when I upgraded the antenna...but I don't know that the extra wattage would really matter as much as the quality of antenna on any of these.

Baofeng BF-F8HP Front of Radio

whew...found my ol yaesu...had stuffed it in a bag with one of my set of GMRS radios and had forgotten that i did that...old brain cells. (lol)

still had battery life on it...those batteries do a good job holding their charge...anyway..back on the charger now...

• Like 1

Glad you located it, i hate loosing things.. Lol ... Drives me up the wall!! Lol! I've been doing a bit of research and baofeng has come out with a analog / digital transceiver .... 

Dm-1701 , and dm-1801 .....that has my attention!   I might have to snatch myself one of these .... And do some tinkering, the only dealings I've had (1st hand) is my uniden  digital receiver .... For Monitoring Tennessee Highway Patrol (state wide) and other agencies that have switched to digital  it would  SO cool to have a hand held transceiver to do the same. One issue they need to work on is the band coverage 470 mhz isn't high enough.... A gig would be better IMO. T.H.P. often transmits in the 700 mhz  range..... I reckon it's a time to check in with radio reference ...

http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_DM1801.php

Anyways this doesn't really qualify for atv riding supply's lol

hmmm...have to look closer at this one...but yeah, I'm not looking to go digital just to listen to more breakfast bisquit chatter...but yes, all of our LEO moved to digital years back and even then, apparently they'll initiate general traffic calls and then if it's a big deal, they switch to something else.

I've kinda wanted to be able to listen in for years now...as the county folks are really slack about the reverse 911 and we've had several events out here where we had no clue were in flight and no communications from any emergency system available to us.

couple examples:

LEO helicopter below tree level, we thought they were about to do an emergency landing in the clearing on the far side of our pond..they were trying to flush out a couple bad guys who were fleeing from a B&E at a house on the other side of our creek..no warning to us to lock it down, etc.

other time, we're home, middle of day...and suddenly 1, 2,....6 LEO cars are tearing down my driveway and out back of my house...this included county, city and a state trooper.. went out and flagged down the last unmarked as he was coming down...and asked if I should be locking my door..he puased and said..yeah..be a good idea....had 2 escaped convicts and they thought they were in my back yard (mind you my backyard is a dozen acres)..anyway... I tossed a 1911 on my hip open carry and after locking the wife safely in the house I walked out back to greet the small army ...they were cool with me as I behave myself and have many LEO in my family so know enough etiquette....we chatted for a while as we listened to their radios...they were trying to figure out the location description...as there are several ponds in our area...and mine is the one they can see from up on the road...but as I listened I told them exactly where the cons were..about 500yards west through the woods at the next pond over...and sure nuff, other LEO were on that side of the woods and ran em done within about 20 mins...the deputies were asking if I had any fish in my pond with grins on their faces.. I told em I was thinking of having an LEO appreciation BBQ come this spring...bring their fishing poles, etc.

point to the story...it was over an hour later after bad guys were in custody that the reverse 911 came through our phone...!! 

so, yeah, I'd enjoy having a digital capability to track activity..like this morning... high school lockdown...kids were being held on their buses as there was a report of armed kid at the shool....kinda nice to know about that...if for nothing else to not take that route to work and be roadblocked by SWAT and the chaos of panic'd parent traffic.

• Like 1

I typically just do day rides, just bring water and food, I have a little Jetboil stove that works good. Usual fire making materials. Cell phone. Gopro. It's a bit easier to take stuff on the Rubicant. When I had the renegade I had to pack everything in a back back and wear it. lol

• Like 2

jet boil...got into that thing back around 2011..and while i don't like that it needs a different fuel that i have to stock in addition to propane etc... it definitely gets the water hot fast... the wife and I do a number of gem and fossil digs each year and many of those are far from anywhere...in summer, a nice sandwhich from the cooler is great, but in colder season it's just nice to have a hot meal and we keep the Jet and several of the moutain house bags in a small backpack just for that stuff...and then that pack lives in the camper on all our trips so if the great apocalypse were to happen while we're out on the road, we have typically a week or so of regular food and then can fall back to the mountainhouse stuff.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:11 PM, Bighanded said:

jet boil...got into that thing back around 2011..and while i don't like that it needs a different fuel that i have to stock in addition to propane etc... it definitely gets the water hot fast... the wife and I do a number of gem and fossil digs each year and many of those are far from anywhere...in summer, a nice sandwhich from the cooler is great, but in colder season it's just nice to have a hot meal and we keep the Jet and several of the moutain house bags in a small backpack just for that stuff...and then that pack lives in the camper on all our trips so if the great apocalypse were to happen while we're out on the road, we have typically a week or so of regular food and then can fall back to the mountainhouse stuff.

I don't like that either but the fact that it all fits in a compact little package makes up for that. And they seem to last surprisingly long. I do have a few spare cans but honestly I don't think I've used 2 full cans since I bought it in 2013. Like you said it heats up water fast so I guess it doesn't use a ton of fuel to do it. 

• Like 1

yep..long as we are in "normal" life mode...then the jet boil is great for including in our trip planning..knowing in advance we are going to put in a couple full days out in the middle of nowhere, to have all we need in a small pack...it's great..and the freezedried stuff is so light..heaviest thing is the water...so I'm happy with it...  with all the rest of our rig based around propane...that's my main source...our travel trailer of course has 2 large bottles on board and I have a Big Buddy heater that always makes the trip..lotta times in the Fall, that heater on low is enough to keep the camper cozy , the campers main heater tends to wake me up at night when it cranks up, so unless it's really gotten cold, we just run the buddy, and the small grills for outdoor steaks use lil green bottles refillable if needed temporarily, and of course hot water showers, and stove cooking...I tend to keep a spare tank of diesel in the bed for the truck and a spare can of gas for whichever honda bike gets to ride along and that gas usually also goes into the genny (honda eu2000)..so i'm already worrying about 3 fuel systems...it's just that super portable pack that you find the jet boil shines.

• Like 1

Gear check

A case of beer ,  coozie , flask of Crown Green Apple , " extra " cigarette lighter , some paper towels in a zip-lock bag and a tow rope  

• Like 4

Talk about riding gear , Crocks just came out with the Martens , I need to get me a pair of them , I have lost me Crocks many times and rode home barefoot , even walked home barefoot in the dark 

crocks martens.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got first diveys at the flea market this morning , picked up this Yeti bag , checked the price before I bought it , on e-bay they sell for $299 , got it for $100 , still has the tag on it , wonder if it was ever used , it is called the yeti  two 30 --- going to soap it down , just a little dusty 

WmMM85InQLWYYjRMV9Z5EQ.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 8:34 AM, Fishfiles said:

Talk about riding gear , Crocks just came out with the Martens , I need to get me a pair of them , I have lost me Crocks many times and rode home barefoot , even walked home barefoot in the dark 

crocks martens.jpg

That has to be a joke....

49 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got first diveys at the flea market this morning , picked up this Yeti bag , checked the price before I bought it , on e-bay they sell for $299 , got it for $100 , still has the tag on it , wonder if it was ever used , it is called the yeti  two 30 --- going to soap it down , just a little dusty 

WmMM85InQLWYYjRMV9Z5EQ.jpg

Those bags work good, a buddy uses one while riding. I'm still babying my old atvstuff cooler bags. If I knew they was going to quit making those I would have bought 6 more to have on hand. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TBRider said:

That has to be a joke....

That is not a joke 

Just now, toodeep said:

Those bags work good, a buddy uses one while riding. I'm still babying my old atvstuff cooler bags. If I knew they was going to quit making those I would have bought 6 more to have on hand. 

I heard good things about the cooler bags , first one I  ever had 

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

That is not a joke 

Google says its fake.....lol

4 minutes ago, TBRider said:

4 minutes ago, TBRider said:

your right , I been had , good thing I never ordered a pair , I still want a pair , need to write to Croc