riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

I worked a few hours today with tiller getting garden ready for fall  crop. Got some zuccìhini and cabbage plants growing in the green house. Also going to plant radish, carrots, turnip , rutabaga and wifes thinking about a few other things Hope we do good with zucchini love when wife makes zucchini bread.

20220901_175524.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good!  I've had a good year with beans and tomatoes this year and have canned quite a few quarts of them.  They've both seen their better days but I'm still getting some and will can most that I do get.  My crook neck squash has been done for some time now and I've been wanting some more.  The cucumbers are winding down too.   

I haven't ever planted a fall garden but my wife wants some turnips.  I'd say it's almost time to plant them.  I need to check and see when the time is right.

I had my soil tested this year and the pH is too high.  They said I need to put some sulfur in the dirt but I can't find any except for little bags.

I've been planting my beans to climb on cattle panels that are about 52" in height and that's really too short.  I got really lucky a couple weeks ago because somebody on C-list was giving away construction site fencing that is 6 1/2 ft. tall and 10' long.  I thought I wouldn't be quick enough to get them but I got lucky.  They came with some of the concrete blocks (specifically made for them) to stand them on.  I got seven of them!  No more driving fence posts and twisting wires for me. 

DSC_0467.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Lucky on that fencing!  That will come in handy.

I'm hoping the beans will climb straight up the fence and not in all different directions.  It will be so easy to put them up and take them down compared to the cattle panels.  I only got seven of the concrete blocks that they stand in so I'll probably have to make some type of stands for some of them. 

• Like 1

Looks goodw river, those peper plants look real healthy, this is my go a few years back, 1st time i ever used buckets for garden raised vegables...... I did this because my younger sister bragged on how well hers did, i still think the old way is better (in the ground) so here's a few pics along the growing season. 

a few years before this i had a large garden, sweetcorn, tatters, green beans, okra, squash, jalapeño peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and, an assortments of spice plants, but with all the critters, and low sunlight, it didnt do as good as i expected, i even ran a 5 line electric fence (bottom line was only a inch off the ground) that helped alot, and home made pepper viniger, and dawn  repellent did wonders with the insects, especially tobacco (catapla) worms...... I left the spiders alone best could...... Even moved in a few garden spiders.....lol! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Wife and I transplanted zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, 2-cucumber & 2-tomato plants. We also planted seed for carrot, rutabaga & turnip will do radish this weekend. Hope they all make it.

• Like 2

Believe it or not , when I lived in New Orleans grew and kinds of stuff , the ground and weather was great for it ,  we had a big lot for being in the city , 200 x 187 , almost and acre , moved  25 miles north to the country , got two acres and can't grow crap , soil is not right and it is a different temp. zone 

I liked to grow peppers , eggplant /squash and militon ( chayote pears ) , mostly because they were my favorite to eat , militon stuff with shrimp in a bread casserole 

image.png

• Like 3

Fish... Have e.ver sent soil samples to the local USDA for testing ? Might give that a ,run, and see if it's missing or low, or too high in certain chemmicals, and nutrients. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Fish... Have e.ver sent soil samples to the local USDA for testing ? Might give that a ,run, and see if it's missing or low, or too high in certain chemmicals, and nutrients. 

I worked for the Univ of Arkansas soil lab here locally when I was in high school.  I was the soil sample grinder lol.  

Lots of ag experiments going on around the place outside, so did a lot of field work there too. 

Fish if you wanna send me a small flat rate box full of dirt I’ll see if they’ll run it.  We had soil probes that went down about 12-18” IIRC

look like a pointy pipe with a slot cut in the side where you can dig the soil out with a screwdriver 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have never had a soil sample done , yet ... 

Something is lacking or too much Fish get it tested ìf you interested in a vegetable garden. If not on Jeeps offer you can have a sample done here...LSU has a lab I hear.

• Like 1

Heck fish....... Most people don't even know you can have your soil tested....we sent test in for row crop soil, fields used to raise tobacco are a MUST DO, even grazing grounds, had to make it count, I'd take jeep up on his offer 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I worked for the Univ of Arkansas soil lab here locally when I was in high school.  I was the soil sample grinder lol.  

Lots of ag experiments going on around the place outside, so did a lot of field work there too. 

Fish if you wanna send me a small flat rate box full of dirt I’ll see if they’ll run it.  We had soil probes that went down about 12-18” IIRC

look like a pointy pipe with a slot cut in the side where you can dig the soil out with a screwdriver 

To chase a rabbit, are you into Jeeps, jeep?

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:00 PM, hodge5 said:

To chase a rabbit, are you into Jeeps, jeep?

You might say that

93C14EC0-3C4F-456F-9DE1-008FC763F625.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice!  What year and drivetrain?

Excellent classic choice of BFG’s with white letters out on OEM wagon wheels.

85 CJ7, 258/T5, stock axles. YJ tub.

It's my second CJ7. I previously had a 95 YJ, and my favorite was a 51 CJ3A. I SHOULD HAVE NEVER SOLD IT! Ugh. I still kick myself.

13092141_10154127525174831_1335586166981329628_n.jpg

Edited by hodge5

I have grandkids, so the 7 is better for today's life. But, the CJ3A will always be my favorite. The simplicity, the history and heritage, the looks. 

My dad had purchased it when I was a teenager (mid 80's), to push snow on our business parking lot. It had 16,000 original miles. The body was real rough,

but it was overall a very solid Jeep. He eventually passed it on to me, but I didn't have the money to do what I wanted with it. So, I chose to sell it. It made sense

at the time, but it will always be that one that I let go but shouldn't have. I won't make the same mistake- I will keep my CJ7. It is in excellent shape, easy to work on, and it is better on fuel than my truck.

Man, I am really enjoying time here. I spend time on hondaatv, too- both are solid forums.

Edited by hodge5

On 9/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Fishfiles said:

Believe it or not , when I lived in New Orleans grew and kinds of stuff , the ground and weather was great for it ,  we had a big lot for being in the city , 200 x 187 , almost and acre , moved  25 miles north to the country , got two acres and can't grow crap , soil is not right and it is a different temp. zone 

I liked to grow peppers , eggplant /squash and militon ( chayote pears ) , mostly because they were my favorite to eat , militon stuff with shrimp in a bread casserole 

image.png

Spencer Co. Extension Agent for Agriculture/Natural Resources

got one in every county, in KY, best i know. if u gotta see someone about your drivers license, the laws have changed, was in the countys now ya gotta go 100 miles south. near the tennesse border. leftist laws. make an appointment. crazy law............

never seen those kind of pears.

Edited by LedFTed

On 9/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Fishfiles said:

image.png

I've spent a fair amount of time in Haiti, where militon is used in place of potatoes. My son in law is Jamaican, and he cooks frequently with them- our Walmart sells chayote- we love them in his Jamaican food.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hodge5 said:

I've spent a fair amount of time in Haiti, where militon is used in place of potatoes. My son in law is Jamaican, and he cooks frequently with them- our Walmart sells chayote- we love them in his Jamaican food.

I like them so much that I can eat them right out the boiling pot with some olive oil and seasoning , they are sweet to start with and I boil them with a bag of Zatarain's crab boil to kick them up a notch " BAM " as Emeril says  ---- there are two type , smooth skin and prickly skin  

• Like 1

Lack of rain has been hard on my fall garden some plants have died. Not to disappointed will make enough to eat and give some away. Those plants were sure happy with that 1/2" rain we got today.

20221012_183646.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, riverc said:

Lack of rain has been hard on my fall garden some plants have died. Not to disappointed will make enough to eat and give some away. Those plants were sure happy with that 1/2" rain we got today.

20221012_183646.jpg

I hear ya there! Having to water the seedlings and young plants every morning with the sprinkler to keep them going. 

• Like 1

Got lucky some burnt leaves on lettuce  & zucchini looks like they will survive that cold snap we had. They need rain water tap water is keeping them alive but not what they need not much rain in the forecast.

• Like 3