riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

Today the weather was nice so I started doing some garden prep planning to plant some turnip & radish soon weather permitting. Will be going to Cleggs soon to get seeds to start plants in the greenhouse for transplanting mid Feb. Hopefully be able to put them in the ground 1st week of April. Can't wait to get some fresh cucumbers tired buying what they selling at the stores I eat a lot of them. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 8:15 AM, Fishfiles said:

That time of year ----Bump the thread up >>> 

image.png

Better than none, what you planting besides beer caps lol.

8 hours ago, riverc said:

Better than none, what you planting besides beer caps lol.

Nothing planted this year ! 

Wife planted termaters, jalapenos, squash, lettuce, and kale so far.  Seeds in the little plastic 6 packs for now.  Will move to pots when they get some size on them, and then hopefully in the ground this spring.

• Like 3

I still have cabbage and kale still rolling on(and a pea plant that was a late sprouted). I'll harvest that and compost the remains when I get home and get another soil sample because it's still not right. Plant growth is subpar and they keep looking stunted. I'll give the soil a light turn over to get the leaf mulch I put on top incorporated in plus whatever amendments I need. I'll probably plant the usual salsa mix: tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, and cilantro. I'll also try to plant some summer beans or peas too. Other vine plants if I can grab some seeds or seedlings would be cantaloupe and eggplant. May also plant another round of garlic to get a good rotation in. Last year's garlic I planted is still going good and should be ready in June/July I think.

Here is the current state of things.

PXL_20230206_175151884.jpg

PXL_20230206_175215449.jpg

• Like 3

I'm ready to till whenever it dries up if not late will plant turnip, carrot & radish. We also have tomato, cucumber, jalapeno & bell pepper seeds ín cups on a heat mat.Spring will be here soon.

• Like 2

Thinking about getting into farming , I just need to save up another $79, 999, 900 !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

several years ago...had a great garden..then back injury/surgery...wow the recovery time on that.

plus work...just took the wind out of my sails.

So the garden became neglected for several years...

working to reclaim it from all the overgrowth now.

will strip the entire area (about 1/5th acre in the fenced in section to protect from deer/rabbits).

but not likely going to plant it all this year.

We focus on squash, tomatoes, green beans on the 2 arbors in there really do well.

some water melons for treat, and some okra

that's likely about it this year.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bighanded said:

several years ago...had a great garden..then back injury/surgery...wow the recovery time on that.

plus work...just took the wind out of my sails.

So the garden became neglected for several years...

working to reclaim it from all the overgrowth now.

will strip the entire area (about 1/5th acre in the fenced in section to protect from deer/rabbits).

but not likely going to plant it all this year.

We focus on squash, tomatoes, green beans on the 2 arbors in there really do well.

some water melons for treat, and some okra

that's likely about it this year.

Some thing is better than nothing. You can always slowly reclaim your garden plot every time you plant so you don't have to do it all at once. Heck just toss some seeds in there and let nature sort it out. You may get a good crop!

• Like 2

yep...will do what I can do...and we'll see what comes of it.... as for scattering seeds...had to chuckle...few years back the boys were out back blowing up a couple leftover watermellons with their shotgun.  wasn't long after that..we had watermellon plants growing all over the place and got several late season melons out of the deal

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Haha yea that happens! Pumpkins too. From what I hear pumpkins are fantastic for soil. I take out old decoration pumpkins and pull the seeds out and put the rest in the compost. My yard isn't Big enough to have random pumpkin plants taking off!

• Like 1

I have heard of people putting all kinds of stuff in their gardens as compost , my neighbor has a nice size garden , one thing that he put in it every year was , buckets of metal / iron shaving from the machine shop , he said that would put iron into the soil 

I messed with a composting a couple years..... LI wasn't really looking for more free goods from the garden, it was more testing deferent  nutrients... List below isn't mine,but I've used just about everything listed plus some that aren't .... Never used printer paper, or card board, ........manure..... Well...... I didn't use but one kind being we had MORE. Then enough cattle ...... By far the best combo for mine was veg food scraps ..... Manure, and soil where round bales had been stored (the decaying underside) ... With that combo.... I should have tested the acid n base level....I'm almost sure the soil was too rich... But it did produce...., the maters had sure signs of growing in that overly rich soil......but if i had taken the turn to soil test i do think it would have been some of the best tomatoes I'VE. Raised, by far not the best, but better then most green house store maters. 

Grass clippings

Tree leaves (excluding pine) 
Vegetable food scraps ( coffee grounds, lettuce, potato peels, banana peels, avocado skins, etc.)
Black and white newspaper
Printer paper
Most disease free yard waste
Cardboard
Vegetarian animal manure (e.g. cows, horses, rabbits, hamsters, etc.)
More items[/quote
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

........manure..... Well...... I didn't use but one kind being we had MORE. Then enough cattle ...... By far the best combo for mine was veg food scraps ..... 

I am no farmer , but have always heard , that horse manure is better for the garden >> true or just a bunch of cow crap ? ----  LOL

• Haha 1

No..... I believe your right,...... Heck i think just about any kind would be okay give or take.... For most it's just the thought.... Lol! Besides   It sometimes doesn't go over too well if you have nieghbors close by........ Toombs brothers dairy carries along wayyyyyyys.... N yes I've heard people comment, about THAT smell, but doesn't bother me cause the old saying or used to be  that's money being made, if you think about, it is.... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

No..... I believe your right,...... Heck i think just about any kind would be okay give or take.... For most it's just the thought.... Lol! Besides   It sometimes doesn't go over too well if you have nieghbors close by........ Toombs brothers dairy carries along wayyyyyyys.... N yes I've heard people comment, about THAT smell, but doesn't bother me cause the old saying or used to be  that's money being made, if you think about, it is.... 

I remember just recently posting about a guy I know that hauls horse $hit to people with gardens , he gets big bucks for it , they charge him for the load at the horse ranch and then you have to load it yourself by bringing a machine with you or pay their guy  to load it up for you with their machine 

• Like 1

I have a little rotating composter for food and garden scraps but that's just because I see it as a waste not to use veggie scraps from the kitchen. my first compost batch should be ready this spring. I need it to warm up some because I still have sprouts growing in it from seeds that got mixed in. The heat should kill any seed growth. I have buried deep in the garden box fish I've caught that got lost in the freezer and went bad or got freezer burned. I have heard of putting rust and such in the soil but not sure how much it affects iron levels in the soil. It needs to be water soluble for the plants to be able to use it.

We'll put down some cow manure this time in. I have seen a few garden and permaculture videos that say not to use horse manure because they eat a lot of hay that has pest and herbicide chemicals in it from where hay gets grown. It supposedly passes through the horses untouched and can affect garden health. They said it takes a couple years for the glyphosate to break down. If you know the horses were mostly field fed on untreated grass then its probably good. I'm sure this applies to cows too so who knows. I'm just going to buy a couple bags from our local nursery. 🤷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SailRedemption said:

I have a little rotating composter for food and garden scraps but that's just because I see it as a waste not to use veggie scraps from the kitchen. my first compost batch should be ready this spring. I need it to warm up some because I still have sprouts growing in it from seeds that got mixed in. The heat should kill any seed growth. I have buried deep in the garden box fish I've caught that got lost in the freezer and went bad or got freezer burned. I have heard of putting rust and such in the soil but not sure how much it affects iron levels in the soil. It needs to be water soluble for the plants to be able to use it.

We'll put down some cow manure this time in. I have seen a few garden and permaculture videos that say not to use horse manure because they eat a lot of hay that has pest and herbicide chemicals in it from where hay gets grown. It supposedly passes through the horses untouched and can affect garden health. They said it takes a couple years for the glyphosate to break down. If you know the horses were mostly field fed on untreated grass then its probably good. I'm sure this applies to cows too so who knows. I'm just going to buy a couple bags from our local nursery. 🤷

Talking about passing thru , I have some buddies tell me about some poison to kill mice , rats , etc ... if the mouse eats it , then dies , the possum eats the rat and dies , the vulture / buzzard eats the dead possum it dies , another possum passes by and eats the dead buzzard and it dies, I think the name of it is tel-star ---pass thru poison ---  have also read about chemicals that are illegal to use  here in the USA by our farmers ,  but are  legal south of the border , so we get the biggest majority of our produce now from south of the border , which is full of stuff that is banned here , go figure , put our farmers  out of business and let other countries poison us we the very stiff that is banned here  , typical how everything is going , kind of like the end of the Johnny Depp movie , the Lone Ranger , everything is backwards 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That's exactly right ^^^ some farmers don't even like using chemicals that are allowed, but have to compete with farmers who will use them regardless ... It's just a wicked cycle .... If your talking hay... Then yeah one is alfalfa ..,, but money people and those invested is the equestrian life . By rule... Don't just feed there stock anything... I mean you wouldn't knowingly feed a possibly expensive animal like a horse questionable feed.. Nor any stock that might risk your lively hood, or the animals health... not to mention ..... When i think aa bout it, it's abuse to the animal,n NO.... My thoughts on the subject have nothing to do with those animal rights bone heads... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Thanks 1

That’s deeper than I thought it went.  ^^^^^^.  I heard it was deep. About 8 in. Wish me luck.  

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the year was 1968 or 1969. I was 12yrs old.  Cherry Hill, NJ.   The circus had come to town and the 40acres across the street  was the staging area.  Neighbor literally walked his wheel barrel across the street and they were happy for him to take all the elephant dung he wanted....really good tomatoes that year (grin)

• Like 3

nice Fish...I fired up my grill last night and the steaks smelled sooooo good.  

Blustery weather, but very warm..loving that..grandkids wanted ride time on the trails this past weekend...so the ol blue fourtrax got to spin some.

been more of a workhorse lately hauling trailer of brush cutting and dragging trees over to the burn pile...so it was fun to just crank it on the trails for a bit.

clear skies tonight means the wife will be on the back deck with her astro-photography gear..and I'll enjoy just sitting out there in a rocker stairing at the night sky..might have to call the coyotes for a bit and see if I can taunt a couple of them within range of my mini 14.

• Like 2

I've been toying with the idea to make an audio recording of the yotes i have hear.... I made a recording, n posted it..... Worked great, figures it would.. Because i haven't heard this large pack sing in a couple days... But with this cold front coming (they say) this weekend, i should hear them howling up a storm... So we shall see if things line up for a good hair raising recording.... I'm very curious as to how many are in this pack... My last audio recording makes it very hard to tell the number, but it sounds like a rather large clan ..... My guess would be in the upper teens to lower 20's (ball park figure) more to come later. 

we seldom see more than the mated pair out on our game cams..but we have seen 3 pups playing at one time.  Neighbors have seen a dozen in their yard at one time.  I have a decent electronic call unit..just a matter of taking the time to sit and wait on them.