riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

I would like to defer to the gardening experts on this site. I built a small raised garden for my wife to grow beets that she pickles. I checked it today. My question is how can I tell if it's ready to plant?

IMG_20230301_162740230_HDR.jpg

• Haha 1

Hmmm. I am no expert by any means.  But I would say when the white stuff goes away.  LoL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got home to my winter crop doing so so. Kale looks good. Have some late bloomer onions trying to come up so I'll let those keep rolling. The cabbages are basically just leaf clusters, none of them developed a head of cabbage. I'm going to let a couple keep going and see what happens. Garlic is looking nice, only another 5 months before that's harvested haha!  My slow growing dill is bigger than I left it 6 weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm going to add some manure and gypsum and turn the top soil over and blend in the leaf mulch I had on top.. next weekend I'll plant our new summer crops.

Thesebpictures were from today.

PXL_20230324_210759850.jpg

PXL_20230324_210813830.jpg

PXL_20230324_212048939.jpg

• Like 2

I love garlic --- my garlic growing buddy is suppose to come over tomorrow , any questions for him , LOL ---- he had told me that his dad got into growing garlic , cause you don't need any pesticides , cause no bugs or animals eat the garlic 

Yeah! I reckon I'll remind you....i thought you was going to ask him about particular large hybrid garlic species... That he had a hand in developing .... I think that's right, I've looked over this thread.. Didnt see it but then again the weather here is all over the place (still gathering imformation) so very busy atmn.

Elephant toe garlic is the big ones. One toe is as big as an entire clove.   MO’s dad had help from LSU agriculture department.  He was growing a few hybrid species. His brother in law is still growing garlic.  They call it a money crop.  No fertilizers or pesticides needed. You get a high yield per acre. But it is a multi year thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I love garlic --- my garlic growing buddy is suppose to come over tomorrow , any questions for him , LOL ---- he had told me that his dad got into growing garlic , cause you don't need any pesticides , cause no bugs or animals eat the garlic 

Nice I'm sure I'd have a bunch of questions. Mostly though is what is the grow time for garlic her in Louisiana? Any tips or tricks? Best way to get it growing (fridge for a cold period or just straight from bulb to ground)?

Garlic is definitely a gift from God! Cures just about everything. I'm probably going to start planting another batch this time home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SailRedemption said:

Garlic is definitely a gift from God! Cures just about everything. 

And it makes everything taste better.  I like to eat it hot right out a pot of crayfish seasonings.  Man I like to have some right now for breakfast lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Elephant toe garlic is the big ones. One toe is as big as an entire clove.   MO’s dad had help from LSU agriculture department.  He was growing a few hybrid species. His brother in law is still growing garlic.  They call it a money crop.  No fertilizers or pesticides needed. You get a high yield per acre. But it is a multi year thing.  

Yeah that's the one, thanks! 

One trick.... I've had good results from is storing fresh garlic... For extended periods of time.. I use an old fassion paper lunch bag.... Just put the fresh cloves in take twist tie close the sack up... I don't tightly bundle it tightly... I've had as much as 6 months good use.. Although as it ages have peel away the outer layers... I guess those layers could be ground up and used but i like the fresh better.. That taist to me is stronger.. Fish your Friend have any tips other then that one for long term storage ? 

• Like 1

You know he was over yesterday and I forgot about talking garlic with him. 5:00 came early yesterday. It was 11:00 over here.  If you catch my drift.   I try and call him today.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:10 AM, SailRedemption said:

Nice I'm sure I'd have a bunch of questions. Mostly though is what is the grow time for garlic her in Louisiana? Any tips or tricks? Best way to get it growing (fridge for a cold period or just straight from bulb to ground)?

Garlic is definitely a gift from God! Cures just about everything. I'm probably going to start planting another batch this time home.

His farm is in Mississippi , says he plants pieces of garlic in June , take a year ---  if planted  from seeds , it takes 5 years to get a garlic , it is a onion first , it flowers and you cut the flowers off , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

One trick.... I've had good results from is storing fresh garlic... For extended periods of time.. I use an old fassion paper lunch bag.... Just put the fresh cloves in take twist tie close the sack up... I don't tightly bundle it tightly... I've had as much as 6 months good use.. Although as it ages have peel away the outer layers... I guess those layers could be ground up and used but i like the fresh better.. That taist to me is stronger.. Fish your Friend have any tips other then that one for long term storage ? 

He said he dad would sell or give away garlic in a paper bag -----    he would store it on racks , no refrigeration , whatever was left from the yerar before was used as planting stock 

Stored on racks , and they would just that for replanting stock  or consumption as well ? Does he sell online ? If so which hybrids ? Last batch i got was from California ... Bout ? A couple weeks back ... Still just as fresh as can be... I figured a paper sack might dry it out more bout nope... I use the same deal to store avacodoe for extended times... Works great for that as well... Heck with price of food all the way around .... Gotta try and keep it as long as it can done yet safe to consume. 

Got my spring/summer crop planted before I went to work and rigged up a temporary watering system on a timer. Soil test came back with normal sodium levels so that's good news. Put down compost and and hand tilled up the top layer, saw a lot of worms so that's always a good sign.

I planted this time:

4 Roma tomatoes

7 cherry tomatoes

4 cucumbers

2 jalapeno(1 in pot)

1 Tabasco (in pot with jalapenos)

3 sweet peppers

1 shishito pepper in pot

3 squash 

1 green bean in a pot

We'll get some cilantro when it is available. Apparently everyone is buying it up. Our pea plant is still rolling holding on from winter.

I put some Alabama and Georgia peach seeds in the fridge for a few months and they sprouted so I pulled them out and planted them in little potter's. 

PXL_20230405_205710475.jpg

PXL_20230405_205646008.jpg

PXL_20230405_205619405.jpg

• Like 2

Was able to work mine and was ready to start transplanting but we got over 4 inches of rain. Starting to dry some but they have rain back in the forecast. I did plant sweet corn, purple hull peas & radish seeds before the rain will see if anything sprouts in a few days.

• Like 1

I just got finished cutting the grass ,  cause they say we are going to get some of that rain and high winds  , we could use it it is dusty --- don't need 4 inches , we been lucky as it keeps going west and north of us , just missing us 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I just got finished cutting the grass ,  cause they say we are going to get some of that rain and high winds  , we could use it it is dusty --- don't need 4 inches , we been lucky as it keeps going west and north of us , just missing us 

Seen y'all missed the last storm we cut our grass today didn't feel like it, but it needed to be done.

• Like 1