riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

Great, i like that one.

Anyway, i like mators, bunches. my sister likes them too, but she also likes guineas. those dang birds, while trying to get at a bug they poke so many holes in the mators, it aint hardly worth planting. im trying to talk everybody over hear into getting rabbit fence or chicken wire, but its cost to much or something for them.

i think it cost too much not having mators myself.

• Like 1

Have a few plants in our planer boxes. Squash, Cucumbers, and potatoes. We learned last year that Okra is about the easiest thing to grow, just have to pick it at the right time. Youngest boy came home with 4 small carrot sprouts from school that I guess we will find a place to put in the ground. 

• Like 2

Our garden is doing ok picking lots of cucumbers. We need some rain to slow release the fertilizer I side dressed. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, riverc said:

Our garden is doing ok picking lots of cucumbers. We need some rain to slow release the fertilizer I side dressed. 

We need rain , you'll were getting it back when and it had been passing over us 

Just now, Fishfiles said:

We need rain , you'll were getting it back when and it had been passing over us 

It's been nearly 2 weeks since we had any measurable rain. Ain't seen a drop since last Saturday that barely wet the ground. I don't like using tap water too much plants ain't crazy about it either.

We have had rain all day today so far and the forecast shows the next few days also. Not heavy but a good on and off showers. It really is crazy how much more the plants grow from the rain versus tap water. 

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

We have had rain all day today so far and the forecast shows the next few days also. Not heavy but a good on and off showers. It really is crazy how much more the plants grow from the rain versus tap water. 

Rain water has nitrogen.

• Like 1

It doesnt have that much to cause explosive growth.... For that you would need to soil test and add as needed.... Ammonia anhydrous on the other hand.... Can cause extreme growth.... But not very pleasant to use by hand,we injected the gas right into the ground every farmer that's tried that has had a bumper crop.... Usally with corn you get one good ear.. N one or two sorry ears, using anhydrous..... At least 90% of the time 2 massive good ears or 3 very good ears here's a good read.

https://www.tfi.org/content/frequently-asked-questions-about-anhydrous-ammonia

• Like 2

@_Wilson_™ 1 box has soil from our yard and another has all bag top soil. Both seem to do well. I try to water them everyday but maybe I don't water them enough when I do. I use Miracal-Gro  from time to time and also have some organic fertilizer that smells like a horse stable lol.

• Like 1

Another good place is, well if you know a farmer close by thats been stacking round bales in the same area for a few years,  the soil directly around the bottom edge or the round bale ( soil should look almost black) is very very rich, maybe too rich at times... Thin that and mix with what your already using... Will be fine, horse manue is another great idea! I raised maters a few years back using a mixture close to what your describing .... Turned out great but you could clearly see i had the soil on the rich side ...and it does effect the taste some..... But all in all turned out good! 

Got an update from the wifey the other day of her first harvest. She's been picking cherry tomatoes and eating them too. I get home Fri and she said everything should be getting ripe by then.

Cucumbers, banana and serrano peppers, and cherry tomatoes. 

IMG_20230530_191657.jpg

• Like 3

Is that banana peppers i see ? I'll take fresh one and dice them up (minus the seeds) add those to just about any type of bean soup, especially Cajun 15 bean.... Talk about good, especially with corn bread. Looking good sail. 

• Like 2

Side dressed my corn for the last time before harvest. 

Cucumbers are beginning to put out more than we can eat been giving to friends & family.

PXL_20230531_233923820.jpg

PXL_20230531_233945625.jpg

Edited by riverc
  • Like 3

Seen john kerry , the global warming czar , he was in the news yesterday.  He was saying 40% of climate change pollution is caused from the means of how we use heavy equipment to harvest our food crops and it needs to stop , cause mankind only has got a few years left before we destroy the world. We need to stop eating meat, start eating bugs and feed bugs to cow Anyone else seen that segment. 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Seen john kerry , the global warming czar , he was in the news yesterday.  He was saying 40% of climate change pollution is caused from the means of how we use heavy equipment to harvest our food crops and it needs to stop , cause mankind only has got a few years left before we destroy the world. We need to stop eating meat, start eating bugs and feed bugs to cow Anyone else seen that segment. 

Didn't see it Fish but have heard enough from this Lunatic concerning climate change. He likes to preach this crap but it's ok for him to travel all over the world on his private jet.

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Didn't see it Fish but have heard enough from this Lunatic concerning climate change. He likes to preach this crap but it's ok for him to travel all over the world on his private jet.

Ya boy ,  while he flies all over the world on his jet , eating Wasabi steak , caviar and lobster  , says , we be making  way  too much carbon emissions  for harvesting crops to feed ourselves and   to feed the animals so we can eat them , we have to cut the emissions urgently , or the planet is doomed , he said something like 7-10 years , they been saying the sky is falling for a while now , chicken little >>>  

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Lol! Id like to see someone just try and pull it off.... You wouldn't have any luck less you farm like the Amish do..... Ever see how big some of those family's get ? That's the only way they can do it without killing themselves working.... John Kerry ? HA, just ask him of all that food he eats...... How its raised ? Because your adverange farmer can't do it without machines ..... Thats a fact....i don't care what he says... Nice to know spotted al bore isn't the only full blown idiot out there... Even better I'd like them to just try and force some of those rules.. You'll see this country starve... Farmers will not tolerate that BS.... And who do yall think the general public will follow... That man who produces real beef, or those stinking blood burgers they have now ? Let them ! in the wind cause thats all it amounts to... They have no power to do what they claim needs to be done... Something they don't realize .... If there are very few real men left in this country and we will not stand for that BS ... Best he can do is keep his  de nutted ! on the porch n  masseuse melester spotted al bore what a joke... I nominate them as two new top transgender fools. 

• Like 1

Wow  , just now seen a news segment , that the biden administration gave moneys that were allocated for the American farmers to the china farmers ---- you can't make this crap up ---- 

down here the commercial fisherman are being put out of business with regulations , extra licenses and permits , fees  , seasons , fuel cost , prices at the dock and they let china imports take over 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fish are you talking about the farm disaster program money ? It's allocated to farms that have seen bad dry years low crop production due to flooding, or drought type weather, even the loss of live stock due to deseases .... Predatory effects etc etc.. That mighty nice of them to keep trying to stamp out those people here in the United States who have earned the right for said funds, but along with those who actually love that heritage ..... What they should think about is the very people fishermen farmers etc etc helped to make this country string, looks like they would back those people and not help those out there that wish to see the United States become weak,  you always go with those you can depend on, Nd we don't need to depend on other countries for our own survivle. That fact will ways be seen as weak.... And might give them an idea when to attack us straight up..... That's the frightening part..... We haven't yet got to the razors edge, but it's within sight, if you were to ask me... 

Finally got home after 8weeks on the ship. But our tomatoes are doing great. Cherries and Roma are producing now and the heirlooms have budded so should see tomatoes in a few weeks. Peppers look a little stunted and need to be stood up better. They are producing a little though. A bunch of my garlic just decided to quit on lift. My dill is outta control, it's like 4ft tall! 

PXL_20230606_181148559.jpg

• Like 2

I check on my garden early every morning well yesterday morning the raccoons decided raid my corn. They took out 5 stalks so lost 10 ears of corn glad it wasn't more. So late yesterday evening I mixed up a batch of tabasco, cayenne pepper to a gallon of water and sprayed it throughout my corn. This morning looks good all corn still standing sure hope this works, because once those coons find a food source they like to visit often. I will spray every 3 days till harvest if it works.

• Like 2

Might add some apple cider viniger, and dawn.... But do not get it on the plants... If you add that to your mix... It also acts as a burn down for weeds, and grass.... Critters won't go anywhere close to that scent... Even some bothersome insects won't mess with it... You might also try and move in some garden spiders...they will stay all season, and there are not poisonous just look big and nasty.. And lady bugs will help with aphids .... For tobacco worms ? Best to pick those suckers off by hand.. Just make sure to smash them... The chemicals used for those .... You don't wont on your garden produce. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Hey river ..... Here's one i found this morning.. According to the site this one kills everything (broad leaf, and etc) I'm looking for a natural way to kill ivy .... That stuff is very resilient...... But the problem is it climbs the trees... So what ever i use has to kill it but not the trees it's climbing .... Figured some of you guys migh find this stuff useful, but i wouldn't use it anywhere close to the garden plants, just finished getting my flow master 1002rs lubed with silicon grease but I'm going to Waite till this weather passes.... See  how good this mix works. 

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-poison-ivy-killer/#salt-vinegar-soap-homemade-poison-ivy-killer

• Like 1