riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Ammonium nitrate.... Would be my guess...i recall when we had to start getting applicators lineces .....to even purchase it... Not sure if that's still implemented ...if i recall right it also depended on if it was to be purchased in bulk... Or small amounts.. 

I am not a scientist , but don't think that is what caused it , I think that stuff you mentioned causes an explosion , story went the tomato pot soil caught fire from spontaneous combustion , it did not blow up , but I really don't know about such things , maybe it was alien laser beams 

>>>> maybe it is a story they told the insurance company cause they burned down their deck with their grill annd stupidity >>>>LOL image.png

• Like 1

What read about it didn't quiet add up.... But yes explosion... But... It is used primarily for fertilize ...  What i was thinking maybe it had just enough in the soil to cause same as you said spontaneous combustion So that's kinda what i was thinking might have happened .... Wasn't the 1st attemp on the word trade centers a partical van load of Ammonium nitrate ? Seems like i read or heard it was involed....i think soon after that failed attemp is realy when ....tighter Restrictions went into effect....I've never personaly used tannerite ... But I'd think maybe there's hoops to jump even trying getting that, but i don't know (never looked into it) one here... You. Might have heard is bromide   Gas.... You couldn't get it unless you attended several classes then were passed to get an applicators license....its  Some bad stuff too...one of it's uses is gassing tobacca slip beds (soil) before seeding..... Heck... This is how bad that stuff is..... There were a few people back in the day here that used it to kill groundhogs on row crop soil... I've never even seen this done, just described...they would take a full can.. Put at the entrance take a 22 or similar size rifle...from a good ways off shoot and puncher , and put just enough English on the can to turn the puncher towards the den entrance ..and get just enough gas around it to kill the groundhog... 

Maybe it was a groundhog , that ate some of that trans'samite and he wonder onto the deck and  discharged some methane green house gases from his butt  , too close to the lite grill and the flame exploded him to pieces , no pieces were found of said groundhog and that's why no mention of a groundhog in the original story ---- if you look closely at the pic , I think you can see some paw tracks and maybe a chunk of fur >>> LOL 

• Haha 1

Yeah.... Lol! ..... Man what people will do.... I forgot to mention... You see the burn going around the edge of the house / trailer ? (Which ever it is) I'm thinking possibly an attemp at arson... That pic has me thinking... And i thourghly enjoy catching someone up to no good... But i would NOT make a good LE officer... I don't have the ability to put up with ignorance ..... Nor drug pushers or users.... Nor drinking... But I'd be more ap to deal with someone under the influence of alcohol ... I guess because country boys like myself enjoy a good cold one... But i can't anymore... Nor do i miss it... It's just not that bad, for one it's not illegal ... However... There is advise in the good book about the drink... There is not  (not to my knowledge) anything spoken of drugs...  But then again it clearly says live by the law of the land... Anyways... Back to the mysterious fire... It also looks as tho maybe if it wasnt deliberately set...he, they, ect ... Pushed the burning grill off the deck which cause the grass fire..? 

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

You. Might have heard is bromide   Gas....

Ha! I did the same...(pic didnt post) Anyways... This is it... And that rust ? This stuf eats it's wy though the pressurized cans.. I don't know how long they keep that stuff in stock before it's safe storage time is up... But I've seen can (already empty) where they had been desolved from the inside out... It's not like other chemicals... I don't like any chemical bad as that stuff is ...  stored under pressure.... I don't know how that bromide gas ranks as hazardous material.... It kills everything... Tick, ants, weed seed, insects, rodents everything..if it's on the slip bed sealed under the plastic and those cans are popped.. It's dead... The brand we used was a DuPont meth o gas... And nope it's not anything relate to street level poison meth... But IT WOULD cure tht problem real quick... Lol!

image.jpg

Anyone getting ready for a fall planting??

I have to filter my soil of all the roots and restart the boxes with soilcloth/plastic on the bottom to keep the roots out. Le sigh.

37 minutes ago, SailRedemption said:

Anyone getting ready for a fall planting??

I have to filter my soil of all the roots and restart the boxes with soilcloth/plastic on the bottom to keep the roots out. Le sigh.

Yes getting ready ordered some Turnip, Rutabaga & Carrot seeds today also a onion set.Will go to the local nursery next week looking for cabbage plants. 

All goes good should be picking pink eyed purple hull peas soon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, riverc said:

Yes getting ready ordered some Turnip, Rutabaga & Carrot seeds today also a onion set.Will go to the local nursery next week looking for cabbage plants. 

All goes good should be picking pink eyed purple hull peas soon.

Nice! I tried carrots last year and they started out great but then just withered away. My cabbage didn't do so hot either, just never got big, looked healthy though. I think it was those roots that took over sucking the nutrients and water from the little plants.

I have some pots I could probably plant something in so I may try to grow something. 

• Like 1

Tilled the garden a few days ago, me and the tiller got a good workout ground was hard till I got down about 6" worked the dirt good & loose, made 8- 25' rows. 

Today I planted seeds 3- rows of turnip & 3- rows of rutabaga hope they come up.

I plan to plant an onion set 2- rows.Then will have to clean out the peas and get that tilled and worked. 4- 17' rows plan on 2- rows of cabbage, 1- row of carrot & 1-row of radish. Maybe I can go catfishing next week running low need to stock freezer for winter.

Garden not looking bad even though we are in a drought. The watering system I have setup sure makes it easy to water plants. In the pictures are turnip, rutabaga, cabbage, radish & onion.

PXL_20231025_134406933.jpg

PXL_20231025_134332866.jpg

PXL_20231025_134316630.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, riverc said:

Garden not looking bad even though we are in a drought. The watering system I have setup sure makes it easy to water plants. In the pictures are turnip, rutabaga, cabbage, radish & onion.

PXL_20231025_134406933.jpg

PXL_20231025_134332866.jpg

PXL_20231025_134316630.jpg

Nice irrigation setup! Garden looks great!

• Thanks 1

Just got home and grabbed a pic of the garden 4 weeks later. Looks like the fertilizer was a hit for the tomatoes. Could see another crop if we don't get a hard frost in another few weeks. Butter crunch lettuce and cauliflower are loving life too. Garlic has made it's slow progress into life but the squirrels are digging around them. 

I fertilized with chicken manure and put in some phosphate too.

PXL_20231118_220148285.jpg

PXL_20231118_220153417.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, you might top it (prune it back) this link / tube will explain it better then i can, but trust me this works great, we did this with tobacco plants... it increases the leaf weight and size which = more $$$ , it also helps keep the plant height lower, which equals ....a plant  less vulnerable to physical damage due to storms or wind, it also is over all healthier for the entire plant, and what the topped blooms were taking away is then used to encrease fruit size, and yield, its also used by the plant main stem > (Axil) AND, in the circle is what some refer to as a sucker keep those cut or snapped off, before they get too mature. 

Topping a tomato plant

Tube

IMG_8317.JPG

• Thanks 1