Jforeman0516

2014 Honda foreman 500 efi hard to start

Hi guys, new here. Have a 2014 Honda Foreman 500 es with EfI. It’s very hard to start. Usually after second try on the starter it will start and then runs sluggish it eventually smooths out. If it dies or I kill it it will not restart. Sometimes we can get it to start playing with the throttle but very seldom. I just have to let it sit, then it will start after 20 mins or so. 
I have changed the fuel pump, injector, flush tank with new gas, new spark plug, and I’ve cleaned the air flow valve (seems to be working)

If I block the intake (choke it) it will fire. 
could this be a tps issue? 

any help is appreciated score I start just changing more parts

Did you replace the spark plug with the BKR5E-11 (correct plug for the machine) or did you update to the iridium IFR5L-11 spark plug? I've had better luck with the iridium on the hard to start machines. Another thing is to try different fuel. I have a few customers their machines refuse to start in the cold months (I know we are not there yet) unless they use the 10% ethanol blend. Straight unleaded and it's like what you are describing. Another thing is valve tappet adjustment if it's never been done. It never hurts to do but if they are off they can cause it to start hard.  

I don’t have a Ifr5L-11 iridium but did put in a IFR8H-11 and same results. Using non ethanol 93 octane. Bike has 357 miles. Low hours. Seems odd to be having this issue other than it doesn’t get used much

Edited by Jforeman0516

On 9/2/2022 at 11:26 PM, toodeep said:

Did you replace the spark plug with the BKR5E-11 (correct plug for the machine) or did you update to the iridium IFR5L-11 spark plug? I've had better luck with the iridium on the hard to start machines. Another thing is to try different fuel. I have a few customers their machines refuse to start in the cold months (I know we are not there yet) unless they use the 10% ethanol blend. Straight unleaded and it's like what you are describing. Another thing is valve tappet adjustment if it's never been done. It never hurts to do but if they are off they can cause it to start hard.  

223592BC-FA82-421F-A20E-0EFA3AD81C45.jpeg

I just tested the fuel pressure wolf the new pump because I still haven’t figured this out.  This is the pressure with it running. Could it be a got a bad “new pump” or could it be the pressure regulator? @toodeep

Edited by Jforeman0516

That is low and I would say the fuel pump. Did you replace it with an OEM pump or an aftermarket one? It could be a flow issue also if there is an obstruction in the line. If you used an aftermarket pump and didn't change the filter it could be that.

Check the injector too.  Fixed my buddy's a while back and his injector was clogged.  Would start hard, then die if you tried giving it gas.