jaysef

1987 Fourtrax TRX350 Shifting Issue

I picked up a 1987 Honda Fourtrax 350 and I am running into some shifting issues. I knew it was a problem when I purchased it, I was hoping it would be an easy-ish fix but it's proving to be harder than I anticipated. I am not super mechanically inclined, I can do the basics, I work in the IT world and it helps to keep a project like this in the real world.

Here is a video of the behavior: https://youtu.be/xF6WF_SaDVc

Machine details:
Year: 1987
Model: TRX350
Engine Serial: TE07E-8100346
Frame Serial: JHSTE0706HK100272

Engine status:
The engine runs perfectly, obviously could use a carb cleaning since it's been sitting for a while. But it starts up using the electric start and runs fine.

Problem:
When I got it, it would be in neutral, I can shift into low gear and it would move. It would however not allow me to shift beyond the low gear. I was able to get it into reverse but only twice, after that, it just would not go into reverse. After fiddling with the shifter I was able to get it to go to second gear but then it would not return to neutral. I rocked the machine and was able to get it to neutral, tried to shift again this time it's stuck in gear.

What I have done:
I took apart the right and left covers. I don't see any RTV silicone just a black OEM gasket so it appears that either I was the first to take it apart or that whoever serviced it in the past did it right.

What I discovered:

• The decompression follower was broken and sitting in the bottom of the case.
  • The gearshift return spring was bent which explains the excessive play and clicking in the shifter.

Current state:
At this point, I am lost as the machine still appears to be in gear. When I spin the wheels, the clutches are spinning and the machine appears to be in gear. While fiddling with the shift lever I was able to get it into neutral, and when i spun the tires, the clutches would not spin. Then shifting, into low, it spins the clutches and will not go back into neutral. I believe that there may be an issue with the gearshift drum or one of the components under the gearshift arm like the pawls. I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I also would appreciate if there were a way to find a tech in the area who can work on this. the dealers wont work on anything that old they say. 

Hi , welcome to the forum , did you try adjusting the clutch before you took it apart 

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Hi , welcome to the forum , did you try adjusting the clutch before you took it apart 

Thanks for your reply. I did to the best of my ability, it had no impact. I know the decompression cam really doesn't have much impact on the situation but the gearshift return spring may help. I honestly am thinking about putting it back together once the gaskets and parts come in adjusting the clutch and seeing what happens. I can't find any resources at all to help me troubleshoot it beyond the manual and a couple videos about clutch adjustment and I don't want to brick it. I am having a really hard time finding anyone locally who can look at it.

I like how you have it on a stand so you can get a good look at it.

i saw you moving the shifter talking about reverse gear and want to make sure you know:
to get into reverse, Keep in mind you have to push the reverse lock button so the reverse lock lever can actuate the reverse lockout before you can actually shift into reverse. 

20 minutes ago, Goober said:

I like how you have it on a stand so you can get a good look at it.

i saw you moving the shifter talking about reverse gear and want to make sure you know:
to get into reverse, Keep in mind you have to push the reverse lock button so the reverse lock lever can actuate the reverse lockout before you can actually shift into reverse. 

Aha! That makes sense. I will be honest, I am out of my league here but I am trying my best. I appreciate the feedback. And putting it on stands was to do my back a favor 😛

From the vid it looks like the shift stop bolt (left side) is broke or gone. That shifter should be returning to the mid position every time by itself. When you moved to the right side you mentioned the shift return spring but that would be on the left side (uses that stop bolt to work) so I don't know if it just came to mind then or if you found something on the right side as well. 

Before going back together at any point. On the right side make sure the reverse stop lever and spring are properly seated in place. I see it's still in the side cover (so you could shift to reverse without pulling the lever) and it needs to be installed in the motor before you try putting that side cover back on.

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

This is the "bolt" I'm talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. I will confirm that the bolt is there. I am confidant it is. I did take out the gearshift return spring as it was not going back to place. here is the spring: 

IMG_2897.jpeg

If you have that out that would explain that, as they work together. That is defiantly bad and could cause some shifting issues. When trying to shift you will have to be spinning the tires to rotate the gears so the engagement dogs have a chance to line up and complete the shift. When it stops or bottoms out I would guess the dogs on each gear are hitting each other not allowing a complete shift because of no rotation. When you did turn the tires it then tried to complete the shift.

I would suggest getting a good return spring and get it back in place. Then try shifting while rotating the tires. Keep in mind sometimes you will need to shift a few times to complete the shift this way because you are rotating the gears slower than they would be during normal operation.

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

If you have that out that would explain that, as they work together. That is defiantly bad and could cause some shifting issues. When trying to shift you will have to be spinning the tires to rotate the gears so the engagement dogs have a chance to line up and complete the shift. When it stops or bottoms out I would guess the dogs on each gear are hitting each other not allowing a complete shift because of no rotation. When you did turn the tires it then tried to complete the shift.

I would suggest getting a good return spring and get it back in place. Then try shifting while rotating the tires. Keep in mind sometimes you will need to shift a few times to complete the shift this way because you are rotating the gears slower than they would be during normal operation.

Roger that, sounds like a plan. I will try that, just need to wait on parts to get here. I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

You’ll get er up and running again! 

while you got the right side cover off, best to clean the oil screen and check cam chain slack. you’ll also want to buy new side cover gaskets. Don’t use sealant. Except maybe a couple small drops of Hondabond to stick the gaskets into alignment with the case cover holes 

21 minutes ago, Goober said:

You’ll get er up and running again! 

while you got the right side cover off, best to clean the oil screen and check cam chain slack. you’ll also want to buy new side cover gaskets. Don’t use sealant. Except maybe a couple small drops of Hondabond to stick the gaskets into alignment with the case cover holes 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Goober said:

I also prefer paper over the PDF versions but I'm just going to guess he would get by just fine with the free PDF download we have on here.

• Like 1

Just now, toodeep said:

I also prefer paper over the PDF versions but I'm just going to guess he would get by just fine with the free PDF download we have on here.

I am getting by with the PDF for now. I honestly think once i get the spring installed adjust the clutch she will be back in business

• Like 1

Roger that, the pdf version doesn’t have good copy on the wiring schematic is all.

While ya got it up on stands, change the diff oil and brake fluid.

9A9E291C-D633-46E8-9227-3D425D85B575.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goober said:

Roger that, the pdf version doesn’t have good copy on the wiring schematic is all.

While ya got it up on stands, change the diff oil and brake fluid.

9A9E291C-D633-46E8-9227-3D425D85B575.jpeg

Understood, I just picked it up. Thats one fine looking machine right there!

• Like 1

Quick update, installed the new gear shift spring and it sounds like it's shifting properly. Waiting on a few other parts to put it back together.

• Like 1