BENL

WTB.. Looking for a second ATV 4x4.... Any suggestions?

I have a 2016 Rubicon 4x4  . WTB...Im looking for a rock solid  second ATV 4x4 preferably HONDA .... A Model with a good dependable reputation.... Any suggestions?...... Thanks.....BenL... New member in North Idaho.

Edited by BENL

4 hours ago, BENL said:

I have a 2016 Rubicon 4x4  . WTB...Im looking for a rock solid  second ATV 4x4 preferably HONDA .... A Model with a good dependable reputation.... Any suggestions?...... Thanks.....BenL... New member in North Idaho.

if you can find one ?..i highly recommend a trx450fm ( manual shift model ) , these are very good atv's. only other atv i can say is..is the trx300fw, but parts for them are getting very hard to find for this model. what ever model you get ?..stay manual shift..this is my .02's worth.

Thanks Shadetree for your reply.... I do have a 300 TRX fourtrax 2x4 that I want to sell its in decent shape but I need a 4x4. What price should I put on the 300 TRX? I installed a new clutch and new rear brakes... It needs front brake wheel cylinders they do leak. it has 24x8x11 front tires and 25x10x12 rear tires about 50%..

F54B7569-31DE-4081-A330-E6760408F7E8.jpeg

7669D8A9-F19D-4212-80BB-3753E872DBCA.jpeg

9463A3C1-598B-4A8D-AA2F-55FF676476B6.jpeg

2784892C-4C51-4920-A1B2-F65E46E0B6EC.jpeg

DFF98122-D307-4200-8D2B-16783CDCC8D5.jpeg

Edited by BENL
add pics edit wording

Prices are all over the place on machines these days.  Very area specific.  Around here now I'd expect $1200ish for a good 2wd 300.  Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

A 4wd 300 with a different rear end swapped in (250BR or 350 Foreman) is about as tough and simple of a machine as you will find.

1987 Honda four trax 4x4 with winch atv 350have a 1987 Honda fourtrax 4x4 350 with a front winch. This ran great when parked years ago so will need the carb cleaned and some tlc. The seat got lost so not available.  Would this be a good choice?

0AF69FB0-EC56-4953-BF3B-6F4F8C6DB2A2.jpeg

Those 350's are very tough machines, but they ride like a buckboard wagon with the solid front axle, and parts are getting hard to find for them (for example, a good seat will be $$$)

If you want it for work, those 350's are powerhouses for their size.  If you want it for cruising, I'd find something without the solid front axle.

Almost all of the machines are pretty dependable when used and maintained correctly. To say which would be best for you would be tough not knowing the desired use for the machine. I have many machines and each one I prefer for different tasks. My most widely used machine is the MUV BigRed because I have pretty much everything in it that I might need. I use mine around the farm so if I see a fence that needs some attention the stretcher, wire, staples, ties, hammer, pliers are all there waiting to be used. If a trees down or a branch needs trimmed I have the chainsaw, hatchet or machete is ready to go. If I see a coyote or other varmint the gun is just above my head. The radio and other things are just conveniences. My main choice when chasing cows is the 420 Rancher (auto with IRS) unless we are just moving them then I prefer the sxs as well. I have an old 350 Foreman that's my spray rig and many others for just random tasks.

If your looking at used or new options in my area are very slim. Now is the best time to sell but when buying the picks are slim, especially for a good price.

I would sell this 86 TRX350A  with manual lift plow. Thought about putting on fleabay.

1986 Honda Fourtrax TRX350A. 
Restored with 100% OEM parts to OEM specs.

Acid washed, painted fuel tank, rebuilt petcock, replaced fuel filter and hoses with OEM. New OEM pump. Rebuilt OEM carb, new choke valve, OEM fuel and vent hoses. New choke cable.

Rebuilt stator, new CDI, new ignition switch. All harnesses inspected and connectors cleaned. 

Rebuilt oil temp sensor; no problems with fan controller; fan comes on ~220F.

New cam chain and 1 exhaust valve. Has OEM optional Cobra glass pack muffler. Exhaust and muffler Stripped and repainted w 2000F paint. New header gasket, OEM air filter. Original air filter cage.

Brakes serviced, new master cylinder, wheel cylinders rebuilt.

Replaced steering tie rod ends, comes with steering head bearing and bushes.

Professionally recovered OEM seat, tool bag, Honda service manual.

Stock wheels with ITP Mud Lite AT.

Complete service as listed in manual.

Bill of Sale only (no title)

Optional Hondaline rear cooler carrier and mount kit for Cycle Country, Kolpin, and KFI snow plow.

Known Flaws: rear fender cracked above bumper mount. Areas of surface rust were coated with rust reformer and paint. Wheel, axle and swing arm bearings have not been greased. No key to Fork lock. Slight oil leak at valve adjustment cover (bolt thread stripped).
Only one part known to be missing (cable strap 90668-671-003) securing ignition harness to fan cowl.

9FBED64B-9E99-4FFB-94AB-7A592082E306.jpeg

2B231182-5BB5-4610-9C22-2AB9C2196275.jpeg

How Would I identify a TRX 450FM and a TRX 300FW?... What do the letter code designations stand for?

FW means four-wheel-drive on a 300

FM means footshift on a 450

So in both cases you will be looking for a machine that has but shift, and look for front CV axle’s and a front diff in the pics.

all 450s are four-wheel-drive so for a 450 you were just specifically look for a footshift versus a ES/button on the handle bars to switch gears