Luggy76

450 fm code 5 help

Hey Guys,

Another stupid dumb blonde question needing answered, please be patient i'm trying to learn.

So my 450 fm is flashing code 5, i stripped off the front plastics and followed the service manual for checking the fcc. There is no voltage at all showing when testing 😦 . battery is testing absolutley perfect.

My question is do i test everything in section 17 of the service manual in the order of the manual?

Sorry for the dumb question, i'm confident when it comes to most mechanical things, but electrics really stump me.

has anyone else had this issue and it turned out to be something simple or am i gonna be pouring more money down the drain?

many thanks in advance.

Doesn't look like you check for voltage to check the FCC.  Look on page 22-8 in the FSM.  It gives you the troubleshooting instructions for the 5 blink code.

You're checking for continuity to make sure your wires are good.  If wires are good, either the front diff actuator/clutch is bad or the FCC is bad.

Welcome aboard!

🤦‍♀️ Omg you're right, looks like the ipad page moved up and i followed code 4.. Testing the white/red and green.

Thank you for pointing out that I'm an idiot. lol

my only question is..sense when does the trx450fm have a code to read ?, only the trx450es have a meter, which means they are electric shift, which means, they have trouble codes you can read from the flashing meter.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

my only question is..sense when does the trx450fm have a code to read ?, only the trx450es have a meter, which means they are electric shift, which means, they have trouble codes you can read from the flashing meter.

4wd light flashes codes. 

4 blinks means low voltage.  I think 2 and 3 are related to speed sensors

And the 04 450FM I’m working on now certainly has a meter.  Doesn’t show gear position but it has a meter

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

4wd light flashes codes. 

4 blinks means low voltage.  I think 2 and 3 are related to speed sensors

And the 04 450FM I’m working on now certainly has a meter.  Doesn’t show gear position but it has a meter

if the 4wd light flashes ?, then this has something to do with the front drive system, it has nothing to do with the main atv part. only time you get a trouble code from a fm is this light..you are correct...but i know for a fact it tells you something is wrong with the front drive, speed sensor is the most common issue. and yes, your year model does have a meter..but it will not flash trouble codes, it only shows speed, miles , hours. the 4wd light will flash though.

• Like 1

Just to close the thread i did the correct testing, everything pointed to the fcc being at fault, ordered a new fcc unit and bingo, no more code 5 flashing on the 4wd.

👍🏻

31 minutes ago, Luggy76 said:

Just to close the thread i did the correct testing, everything pointed to the fcc being at fault, ordered a new fcc unit and bingo, no more code 5 flashing on the 4wd.

👍🏻

thank you for the update !.