shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

Well, if my plan goes through today ?, i will be bringing home a 2002 trx450fm ( s ) to those of you that call it that ?, myself..i call it trx450fm. worked on it last night through some texting, we agreed on a price, now i just have to make a 5 hr , one-way drive to go get it..lol. i talked him down from his asking price ( 800 ) to 650, and of all colors..its one of the very one colors i hate the most..YELLOW !..LOL. but..its not for me, it will be my gf's ride..her fav color is ..aghhh..yellow !..rofl. he claims it runs, new cylinder, new battery, new rear axle, has a snorkle on it..now i wonder why it would need a top end ?..hmmm..let me take a wild guess..IT'S BEEN SUNK MAYBE ?!..LOL. has what looks like big mud tires on it ?, this would explain the new rear axle huh ?. anyway..i'll be headed there some time this morning, gonna leave here after the bank opens up, 5 hr drive there...5 hr drive back, then i've got to get to my cabin, another hr drive there, gonna stay there for the night. i will update this thread if and when i get this atv...and have time to post some pics, at least the before pics...cuz ya'll know it will not stay like it is when i am done with it !..lol.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

update: ok outaws, here she is unloaded from my truck. made a short list of parts that it must have for now. it was late when i got home last night, decided to just stay home, then make my ride to cabin, which will be here shortly. anyway, here is a few pics as she sits for now. i will update this thread as i get too work on her. p.s. the tires and rims are up for grabs is anyone is needing them ?, i will put stock rims, itp mudlite AT's back on her. must pick up, i will not ship them.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

• Like 3

Wow, nice score!

You could get more than what you paid for whole machine up here for just the rims and tires!

Looking forward to watching your build and what you find inside

• Like 1

She's a pretty yellow color...lol....really looks in decent shape.  Did you run it at all, how does it sound, oh yes said it needs a top end.... You have had a lot worse projects to fix up that's for sure....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What size are those tires? Look like outlaws

you are correct, high lifter outlaws, 25x9.50x12 , both front and back.

Those are no longer made in that size.  Should bring decent money for someone wanting an aggressive tire who doesn’t want to do a gear reduction.

I’d take what your replacements will cost as a selling price.  

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

D8CF5D4C-E128-4AAC-82C8-714650965544.png

1k..none running ?..rofl..i gave 650 for this non-running '02 !.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Those are no longer made in that size.  Should bring decent money for someone wanting an aggressive tire who doesn’t want to do a gear reduction.

I’d take what your replacements will cost as a selling price.  

gonna do some swapping, i found out the case halves oil drain bolt hole is buggered from what i can tell when i removed the oil drain bolt. good thing i know where some engine parts are !..lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

1k..none running ?..rofl..i gave 650 for this non-running '02 !.

Well sounds like that one runs and needs a rear end, and it’s not yellow!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well sounds like that one runs and needs a rear end, and it’s not yellow!

BUT..IT HAS TO BE YELLOW...LOL. this is not mine to ride...it will be my gal's ride..her fav color is...yep..you got it...YELLOW !..ROFL. he wants 1k for the green trx450fm, that's missing flairs, and needs a 400 dollar ring and pinion gear set, and prob an axle too ?, yeah..i'll pass..lol. oh...and this mellow yellow will also run...WHEN I'M DONE WITH IT !..LOL.

• Haha 2

update: ok, here is some tear down pics of plastics coming off, engine out, and engine getting started to tear down. i just placed an order for a complete engine gasket kit, a shift shaft ( where the foot lever clamps onto ), all the engine oil seals, D.I.D. cam chain, a few other tidbit pieces , like ignition switch, reverse cap, reverse lever rubber piece, all this will get the engine back together. last but not least, here is a picture of the carb that came off of it, can anyone spot how this is a china fake trx450fm carb ?, it plain as black is dark ( this should give it away..lol )

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

• Like 1

Okay i can't help myself...... Just a warning from my own personal experience ............ Sigh...... Be carefull commenting to your gal about your dislike of the color yellow........ Lol! 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: ok, here is some tear down pics of plastics coming off, engine out, and engine getting started to tear down. i just placed an order for a complete engine gasket kit, a shift shaft ( where the foot lever clamps onto ), all the engine oil seals, D.I.D. cam chain, a few other tidbit pieces , like ignition switch, reverse cap, reverse lever rubber piece, all this will get the engine back together. last but not least, here is a picture of the carb that came off of it, can anyone spot how this is a china fake trx450fm carb ?, it plain as black is dark ( this should give it away..lol )

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

Looking good so far shade!

my guess would be that black plastic fuel inlet on that makes it a Chinesium carburetor right?

OEM should be brass…

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Okay i can't help myself...... Just a warning from my own personal experience ............ Sigh...... Be carefull commenting to your gal about your dislike of the color yellow........ Lol! 

its all good, she knows i hate yellow...but it wont put me in the dog house...cuz...SHE KNOWS I BUILD GOOD STUFF !..LOL.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Looking good so far shade!

my guess would be that black plastic fuel inlet on that makes it a Chinesium carburetor right?

OEM should be brass…

BINGO !!!..give that man a cigar !.,,lol.

oh..forgot to mention...i was worried the crank would be bad ?, nope...its good too run !.

• Like 1

Good grief from the looks of it if that frame wasn't sunk a few times it should have been, butt ugly......

Good to hear the crank is a go shade, can save your spare yet then.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Good grief from the looks of it if that frame wasn't sunk a few times it should have been, butt ugly......

Good to hear the crank is a go shade, can save your spare yet then.....

haha..yep...i had the spare already pulled out..ready to use..then found out this crank is ok to run..whewww..lol. yeah..the frame looks to be a tad on the rusty side eh ?..lol. trust me..it wont be when i am done with it. i got the engine parts on order, it will take a few days for them to get here, so i'll have time to finish ripping the body parts down to bare frame, and start getting the rust off, and get her all ready for some gloss wally world black paint !..lol.

• Like 1

How do you clean a frame such as this?  Sandpaper, power wash, or what?

Just now, bcsman said:

How do you clean a frame such as this?  Sandpaper, power wash, or what?

pressure washer to clean the mud and sand off, sand paper and my grinder to clean the rust off, then i will paint the frame, then i will run a tap in all the frame bolt holes to clean them up, and make it easier when i go to start bolting it back together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1