shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

update:

turned into one thing after another.

I " Don't " want to be a atv mechanic when I grow up , because of that very reason , " one thing turns into another " >>>>>>  I  think of it as " one step forward , two steps back " --- sometimes that step back , turns into  a walk 

• Haha 1

Not even a little surprised on the carb.  After all, the previous owner had it on a 500 Rubicon!

Hopefully you can get it useable out of your parts stash

54 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Not even a little surprised on the carb.  After all, the previous owner had it on a 500 Rubicon!

Hopefully you can get it useable out of your parts stash

yep..got it all back together...with what i had on hand , don't know if the primer is gonna leak or not yet ?, won't know until i put fuel in the carb ?, but it's all back together, mounted on engine for now.

• Like 1

update: got the fan cleaned up, installed, got the oil cooler cleaned up, installed, drove to advanced auto, picked up 4 qrts of engine oil ( made for wet clutches ! ), got home, put the oil in, fuel to carb, cranked it over to prime the oil pressure, and WALLA...IT LIVES !!. i do need to order a starter from D&B electrical, this starter i got out of my stash, the brushes are a tad worn, if it stops at a certain point, it wont turn the engine over..unless i smack it with a hammer ?, then it cranks. so..i need starter for it. not all is lost...it fired up really quick !. i dont have the exhaust on it ?, so i can't run it long..or i'd burn a valve..but i'm just happy the engine runs again !. here is the pics i promised from the handle bar work i did last night.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

• Like 6

Looks really good Shadetree... Looks professional... Job well done.

• Thanks 1

Looks like its missing the shift buttons on the handlebars......lol

Looking good, gonna be a winner when all put together......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 99450ES said:

Looks sharp man!

thanks !..but it sure is killing this old man restoring it !..lol.

• Like 1

Just now, bcsman said:

Looking good, gonna be a winner when all put together......

noooo..its not missing the shift buttons ?!..it made for REAL atv riders !..lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

thanks !..but it sure is killing this old man restoring it !..lol.

Yea they can wear you out.  The good part is it looks like you do it correctly.  90% of the headaches with these are when they are half-a$$ fixed/repaired.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 99450ES said:

Yea they can wear you out.  The good part is it looks like you do it correctly.  90% of the headaches with these are when they are half-a$$ fixed/repaired.  

you are very correct !. it was in rough shape to start with. even though it '' looked '' ok from day one ?, it was not correct, and it had to have my touch to make it right !.

• Like 1

i wonder how far jeep is with his 450 project ?, surely he'll be done b4 me ??...lol.

• Haha 1

update: well, i started in late tearing the rear swing arm, and diff apart, the good: axle is in fact new !. the bad: for some reason the oil seals look new ?, but some how gear oil got past the seals ?. the ugly : when ever this rear axle was put in ?, the person left out the dang bearing stopper that goes on left rear side of axle ??!!, this is very important to keep the axle centered as its rotating !!!. so in the process of leaving this bearing stopper out ?, the axle walked on right rear brake side, AND ATE THE BRAKE DRUM COMPLETELY UP WHERE THE HUB RIDES !!, as you can see from the brake drum cover pic , its chewed up big time !!. once i got the brake drum cover off, i expected to find worn out brake shoes, rusted over , worn out brake drum..right ?..NOPE !!. what i did discover was a crap load of water, gear oil, and mud !!!. man..i almost barfed over this. ya'll mud riders ?..KEEP ON DOING WHAT YER DOING..IT'S FOLKS LIKE YA'LL THAT TAKE ME TO THE BANK !..ROFL. anyway, here is a few pics of the tear down on the rear swing arm, and brake parts...or shall i say...what is left of the rear brake parts ??!!. thank goodness i had a spare rear brake backing plate !, slapped some grease on the pivot points, installed a set of brake shoes, set it aside, i've got to come up with a rear brake drum cover, and a rear brake drum..i know just the place to go get them !..lol. as for the axle bearing stopper ?, i ALWAYS keep a spare around when i come across one ?, because its for this very reason !!!. got that taken care of. closed shop, came inside, its 1:05 am, i called it at 1 AM.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bcsman said:

You just has to poke at the hornets nest didnt ya......

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

i wonder how far jeep is with his 450 project ?, surely he'll be done b4 me ??...lol.

I went out and cussed at mine yesterday, threw a stick at it.

Wife was right behind me with the 3 year old.  "Get yo baby!"

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I went out and cussed at mine yesterday, threw a stick at it.

Wife was right behind me with the 3 year old.  "Get yo baby!"

omg..too funny bro !. i take it..its not going back together fast ?, and it does not run ?..hmmm...you need me to drive over there and show ya how to build a trx450fm ?..lol.

• Haha 1

update: got up around 8 am, called my bud, told him i'm bringing him some used 450 parts, and a few other things i no longer need, grabbed a brake drum cover, and a brake drum while i was there, went by my honda dealer, picked up 2 ring gear oil seals..AND THEY WERE IN A HONDA BAG !!, also got another tube of yamabond. came home, started tearing down, cleaning the rear diff up, brake drum got cleaned up and painted, sat that aside, started hammering the swing arm bearing races out of the swing arm, got that done, decided to come inside, make me a fresh pot of coffee, while in the house, noticed on my camera's, A BOX ON A FRONT PORCH !..wooohoo..i got my last honda 450 front rim, so now i got all 4 of those. still waiting on my swing arm bearings, headlight, left rear axle tube bearing and oil seal. found a great muffler on ebay last nght, whole exhaust system for 136.00 shipped, excellent price for a good used muffler !. then i ordered a super atv front disk brake kit, and also a starter from D&B electrical. got a few more parts to order from honda, but not in a rush for them right now.

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Just  too funny... LOL! 

coulda been worse ?..he coulda thrown rocks at it ?!?..lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

.you need me to drive over there and show ya how to build a trx450fm ?..lol.

No I need you to watch this kid so I can get stuff done!

22 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

No I need you to watch this kid so I can get stuff done!

haha....put a rope around the kid...attach it to one of those dog runner things . problem solved !..rofl.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shadetree said:

coulda been worse ?..he coulda thrown rocks at it ?!?..lol.

I was thinking wrenches...... Hey jeep can't your parents (your pops) help you out ? Now I'm just saying i think he owes you for all those times he would make you do things the extra hard way... 

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

I was thinking wrenches...... Hey jeep can't your parents (your pops) help you out ? Now I'm just saying i think he owes you for all those times he would make you do things the extra hard way... 

he ain't gonna throw any wrenches at it ?..cuz then he'll claim the wrenches finished it !..lol.

update: got the rear end all nice and clean, painted, installed. still got a ton of stuff to do..but i see the finish line...lol.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: got the rear end all nice and clean, painted, installed. still got a ton of stuff to do..but i see the finish line...lol.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

I mowed around mine today.  Set a 15mm wrench on it that I found in the yard….

• Haha 2