shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

update: well..i just placed the last order for the remaining parts for this ole girl, ordered the lower head light bulbs, all the front fender splash guards , oem snorkel , front bumper plastic inserts, and last but not least, the muffler gasket. only thing that remains now is the battery, i'll pick that up at my local honda dealership.

update: ok...got the super atv front disk brake conversion in today, got it mounted on the front axles/knuckles. i wanna point out a flaw in the design of this kit: when i pulled the parts out of the bags, and got to the long bolts that will turn out to be the wheel studs, i noticed right off the bat one problem: the spacers that go in between the disk and hub , the inside diameter of these spacers is larger than the long bolt studs ?!. i knew this was going to be a problem when you go to tighten it all up, it will let the disk not center, and this means it will not turn true ?. got it all together, mounted them, and sure enough, watching the outside edge of the disk as it rotates past the brake pads and caliber , i can see that the outside edge is not turning true to the pads. its not a life or death problem ?, but it is a problem...in this case, a design flaw. it is made in china ?..soo..take it for what its worth. still cheaper than high lifter. p.s.  super atv shipped this kit out VERY FAST TO MY DOOR !!. i'll give them 4 stars, i took a star off for the design flaw ?!..rofl. i'll get a better understanding how good this kit is once i get everything hooked back up and working.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

update: ok...got the super atv front disk brake conversion in today, got it mounted on the front axles/knuckles. i wanna point out a flaw in the design of this kit: when i pulled the parts out of the bags, and got to the long bolts that will turn out to be the wheel studs, i noticed right off the bat one problem: the spacers that go in between the disk and hub , the inside diameter of these spacers is larger than the long bolt studs ?!. i knew this was going to be a problem when you go to tighten it all up, it will let the disk not center, and this means it will not turn true ?. got it all together, mounted them, and sure enough, watching the outside edge of the disk as it rotates past the brake pads and caliber , i can see that the outside edge is not turning true to the pads. its not a life or death problem ?, but it is a problem...in this case, a design flaw. it is made in china ?..soo..take it for what its worth. still cheaper than high lifter. p.s.  super atv shipped this kit out VERY FAST TO MY DOOR !!. i'll give them 4 stars, i took a star off for the design flaw ?!..rofl. i'll get a better understanding how good this kit is once i get everything hooked back up and working.

You can always send it back , pay more and get a High Dollar Highlifter 

I have never had any problem with the spacers , all you do is tighten up the bolts with the spacers in their proper place --- I could see someone not too sharp messing it up ----- there have been 1,000 of them kits sold , I have never heard of anyone have a problem from being out of round , all the spacer is for is distance , it doesn't make the disc, hub and plate line up any different 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

You can always send it back , pay more and get a High Dollar Highlifter 

I have never had any problem with the spacers , all you do is tighten up the bolts with the spacers in their proper place --- I could see someone not too sharp messing it up ----- there have been 1,000 of them kits sold , I have never heard of anyone have a problem from being out of round , all the spacer is for is distance , it doesn't make the disc, hub and plate line up any different 

i won't argue about it, it deff has to go back, the brake lines will not reach the calibers. i do not know how you got it to work on your 450 without some kinda mod ?, but it will not fit on this 450. yes..the spacers DO make a diff on how the disk turns..but again..i won't argue about that either. all i know is this kit will not work on this 450. i do know high lifter kits work, as i have installed a ton of them on past 450's.. direct bolt on, no mods, no lines rubbing..straight to installing, bleeding the brakes. i'll call super atv first thing in the morning to get info to ship this back, i can't use it. i gave it shot..and it did not work..oh well.

50 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Carfish have an 05-11 500 or 05-14 Rubicon?  Rob you some factory discs!

nope..he does not have anything that large ?..or that new ?..lol. edit: just got off the phone with catfish...HE DOES HAVE A TRX500 ES RUBI !

i'm off to my bud's place to see about getting my hands on a disk brake parts to install on this project, jeep say's it is a direct bolt on , other than the holder brackets for the brake lines ?, it should bolt right on. gotta swap out the knuckles, but if it fits ?, at least it will be honda parts, and i'll save a lot of money from not having to buy a high lifter brake kit ( which i know for a fact fits on the trx450fm foremans ) that i do not want to do..lol.

• Like 1

update: well..turns out..my bud did not have a 500 disk brake kit for a 4wd ?..he had one for a 2wd 500 ?, but that wont work on a 4wd model. soooo..i had to bite the bullet, and order the high lifter kit ( yes..it was not cheap ! )..but i know for a fact its a straight bolt on, no issues what so ever ?..UNLESS !!!..they changed their design over the past couple yrs ?..if not ?..then i'm home free for front disk brakes.

update: got the high lifter disk kit in today, installed it without one problem at all !. it all bolted up, brake lines fit without bending, stretching. got the tires mounted on rims, installed those. installed the oem snorkel, installed the oem stick stoppers. done for now until the fenders come in.

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

So that cost about $150 more and is still Chinese , LOL 

does not matter..it fit..lol. right out of the box, bolted right up, i bled the brakes, works great !. got the best caliber made..wilwood..does the super china atv have those ?..nope !..lol.

2 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

Oh my!

Missed this section altogether . . . 

And yes, yellow is mellow.

Nice work as always Shade . . . . 😉

thank you !. i just knew you would love to see a mellow yellow from me !..lol.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

They only came in three flavors . . . . Mustard, Ketchup, and Relish  :classic_biggrin:

now there is the response i was waiting on !..lol.

• Haha 1

update: still no fenders yet from rocky mountain atv ?, but this also means no dreaded email saying they are refunding me either ?!..lol. i got a few parts in the other day, used exhaust system, starter from d&b electrical, and some push pins. i am always using my stash of push pins, so decided to stock up on them, got 400 fairly cheap off ebay. gonna head out to the shop today, get the exhaust cleaned up, painted, and installed. then i can install the fuel tank heat shield and fuel tank. i need to clean up the lower skid plate, get it painted and installed at some point. then all i can do is wait on the fender parts to come in, bolt it all together..and she'll be done !.

• Like 6

update: got as far as i could just now. now i wait on fenders/plastics.

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

• Like 4

Looks  great Shadetree... Keep up the nice work.

• Thanks 1

update: spent some time today welding the rear rack back together, got that done ( no pic's..deal with it !..lol ) this is all i did on her today, still waiting on plastics to get here, no word yet ?..sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

( no pic's..deal with it !..lol ) 

No pics ?? ........ Sigh. .....lol! Ah just ! Off...... How's the better half like it so far ?? You do know we have to have you both online live here in the forums when subject of the color mustard yellow comes up,and it will...... Lol! ...... Imma have some fun watching the convo unfold ....... 

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

No pics ?? ........ Sigh. .....lol! Ah just ! Off...... How's the better half like it so far ?? You do know we have to have you both online live here in the forums when subject of the color mustard yellow comes up,and it will...... Lol! ...... Imma have some fun watching the convo unfold ....... 

if i remember ?, i'll snap some pics of the rear rack today. she's been very happy with the way its turning out, then again, she's known of my work for many yrs..she knows i build great atvs !..lol. as for her coming on here ?..good luck with that..rofl.

• Like 1

here is my rear rack fix, mind you..i'm not a pro at welding...and this rear rack is a rust bucket in some places..lol.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah, i know... been following your builds for a few years, but i just had to try. N see if i could get a funny argument going. Between lovers of the color yellow verses those who don't like it, kinda like the tire threads i try and avoid  like the plague....... Lol! Real funny ..... But i enjoy watching, rather then being on the train tracks.......

What type welder stick, or wire ......... Looks like a stick weld, but it's been a few years for me...... Lol 

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yeah, i know... been following your builds for a few years, but i just had to try. N see if i could get a funny argument going. Between lovers of the color yellow verses those who don't like it, kinda like the tire threads i try and avoid  like the plague....... Lol! Real funny ..... But i enjoy watching, rather then being on the train tracks.......

What type welder stick, or wire ......... Looks like a stick weld, but it's been a few years for me...... Lol 

wire, flux core.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, shadetree said:

update: spent some time today welding the rear rack back together, got that done ( no pic's..deal with it !..lol ) this is all i did on her today, still waiting on plastics to get here, no word yet ?..sigh.

How many times have you called RMATV this week?  LOL

• Haha 1