shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: got a call from rocky mountain atv this morning, they said all the red fender parts, body parts have came in, paid for them, was told some will be here friday, and the rest will be here monday, i wont be here, will be in the deer woods.

Dang, I better finish my buddies this weekend then!  Gotta beat ol Shade!

I ran his yesterday after going through the carb again.  Runs good now.  Gotta tune the carb a hair, then it'll be done.

update: well, got back from the deer woods yesterday, had a few large boxes in my living room !. got a large spike from the deer woods, need to get it down to hog's meat market, gonna let them process what i brought back, we ate the back strap sat night..mmm good !. anyway. i've got a project to fix at my cabin on the septic system, gotta install a vent line on the toilet pipe..grrrr..i did not install this line from the get-go, my dad had some drunk install the toilet many moons ago. had a 500 gal septic tank installed, but no vent line !. sooo..anyway, need to pull the toilet, and work my way back to the toilet. once i get that done, then soon, i'll get started back on putting the new RED ( sigh )..lol , plastics all back on this ole girl, install a new battery, she'll be done.i do still need to swing by autozone and pick up some fuel injection fuel line, the line i got on the tank to carb now is worthless, not correct, so i will be putting some good fuel line on the tank to carb before i start putting the plastics all on.

• Like 3

update: got a few parts added on her, wrapped it up for the night, i'm beat.

IMG_0451.JPG

• Like 7

Great job Shadetree looks really nice.... I'm sure it will run the way a Honda is supposed to run.

• Like 1

Ok, been off this project for awhile, i've got another project hitting my yard friday ?, '06 trx500fm engine rebuild. so, time to get my hands back on this trx450fm, get the rear rack painted, installed, seat on, and get her out of my shop to make room for this trx500fm coming in. owner sank it, wants me to rebuild the engine. i told him 1k to pull motor, clean it all out, rebuild it with all new cam chain, oil seals, gaskets, back in and running for my labor, plus what ever parts cost ?. i explained to him i do not know what the damage is until i tear motor out, and go through it piece by piece, he agreed my asking price is very fair on labor. not to mention, honda will not touch anything older than 10 yrs old ?!. so, he seems to be a happy camper for my fee. he also knows my work speaks for itself from word of mouth that has been spread around. i've got to make a few trips to two different tractor supply stores to refresh my parts cleaning solution as neither store carries it in stock ?..thanks to you know who !..lol. i'll post some pic's of this trx450fm once i get it all finished, and out of my shop. gonna head out there right now, get started, as my shop is a mess, need to get this done, then prep my shop for this trx500fm project, hang tight outlaws..will get this trx450fm done !.

• Like 2

Well crap, as i figured, stepping away from this project was a bad idea. come to find out, i needed the rear lights cleaned, new bulbs installed ( have them ), lower skid plate cleaned and painted as well as the rear rack painted. got the rear rack painted, not installed yet. lower skid plate cleaned, painted, installed. in the process of cleaning the rear tail lights up, got to wait until i get my parts washer solution from tractor supply today. should have this 450 done before friday evening for sure ( i hope ?..lol ). small things always takes time to clean, paint, install. will get pic's when its all done.

• Like 2

If his 06 needs a crank, vince at mr crankshaft will have it done in under a week, including shipping both ways.  Cost is about $250ish including a Japanese made Vesrah rod kit,

Don’t forget to upgrade 1st gear while you’re in there!

39 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

If his 06 needs a crank, vince at mr crankshaft will have it done in under a week, including shipping both ways.  Cost is about $250ish including a Japanese made Vesrah rod kit,

Don’t forget to upgrade 1st gear while you’re in there!

yeah..i'll go with the upgrade when i go to put it back together...it's an '06, maybe they changed the gear already ?..wont know until i get it apart.

• Like 1

update: finally got the chance to drive this '02 trx450fm out of the shop, but with problems !. for some reason or another, the clutch adjustment is not working right ?, the center bolt will not turn easy, not sure what is going on with this ?. but odd's are, i will have to pull her back into the shop, get the front cover back off, and have a look to see what is going on ?. i used the old clutch parts, i may end up just ordering both clutch parts, replace them both while i am in there. i did get the adjustment adjusted in order to back her out, park her under my carport out of the rain/weather for the time being. i have this '06 trx500fm engine in my shop right now, all torn down. soo..i'll get this '02 trx450fm fixed later on, its still cold here, so she's not in a hurry to do any rides right now..lol. it will just have to wait until i get it back into the shop. but before i tear the front cover off, i'll ride it up and down my street, see if the clutch gets easier to adjust...and shifts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

update: finally got the chance to drive this '02 trx450fm out of the shop, but with problems !. for some reason or another, the clutch adjustment is not working right ?, the center bolt will not turn easy, not sure what is going on with this ?. but odd's are, i will have to pull her back into the shop, get the front cover back off, and have a look to see what is going on ?. i used the old clutch parts, i may end up just ordering both clutch parts, replace them both while i am in there. i did get the adjustment adjusted in order to back her out, park her under my carport out of the rain/weather for the time being. i have this '06 trx500fm engine in my shop right now, all torn down. soo..i'll get this '02 trx450fm fixed later on, its still cold here, so she's not in a hurry to do any rides right now..lol. it will just have to wait until i get it back into the shop. but before i tear the front cover off, i'll ride it up and down my street, see if the clutch gets easier to adjust...and shifts.

You mentioned not moving when in gear , so my first thoughts would be a pinched clutch disc or friction  >>>then second guess maybe the triangle bearing holder got knocked out of position when you were  sticking the case cover on 

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You mentioned not moving when in gear , so my first thoughts would be a pinched clutch disc or friction  >>>then second guess maybe the triangle bearing holder got knocked out of position when you were  sticking the case cover on 

yeah..i'll just have to wait until i can get it back in the shop, tear the front cover back off, and see what is wrong if anything ?, i just know something is not right with the clutch.

update: placed an order for the clutch parts, decided its best, when tearing it open, may as well just replace the clutches while i've got it apart...whats another 300 or so bucks...right ?..lol.

Might as well make use of the $1000 you get from the 500 rebuild.....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bcsman said:

Might as well make use of the $1000 you get from the 500 rebuild.....lol

haha..very true !.

update: got the clutch parts in yesterday ( thursday 2-16-2023 ) , i'll probably head out to the shop here soon, make room to get her back in the shop, start tearing the front end down so i can replace the clutches. this will take me all day to do, my only concern is..is i do not have another clutch cover gasket ?, i just hope i can get the cover off without tearing the new gasket ?..if i can pull this off, i'll be good to go !.

• Like 2

update: new clutches are installed ( both clutches ), just came in to rest up. its cold outside, once it warms up, i'll take it for a spin up and down my street to see if it's gonna act right ?. will update later on this.

update: took it for a spin, she's shifting all good now, no issues at all. need to put the splash guards back on, then hopefully i'll be done with this project !.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: took it for a spin, she's shifting all good now, no issues at all. need to put the splash guards back on, then hopefully i'll be done with this project !.

You just had to beat me didn’t you? I’m putting the carb on my buddies as soon as it warms up a bit and then driving it down to his house and dropping it off

• Haha 1

I just spend a long time getting caught up on this build. I always like Shade's builds. Can't wait for the pics. It's kinda like ordering the whole Yellowstone series and watching it all at the same time! LOL

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You just had to beat me didn’t you? I’m putting the carb on my buddies as soon as it warms up a bit and then driving it down to his house and dropping it off

haha...well...as bad as i hate to admit it ?, no...i did not beat you !. reason: just found out today, that the one-way clutch bearing is bad !!, sigh..so no...i did not beat you. ordered a oem one-way bearing from rocky mountain atv, as well as a light switch ( left handle bars ), as this one decides when to turn the lights on no matter where the button is at ?..lol. there went another 200 bucks easy !...sigh. when i went to test ride it after getting the clutches changed out, i kept hearing a rattle coming from some where ?, was not sure where it was coming from though ?. i found out today..when i discovered the front diff not working right ? ( changed that out ). went to back it out for another test run, sure enough, the rattle noise started again ?..hmm..ok..back in the shop.

can't be the tranny, it shifts great through all gears. can't be the rear or front diff's ?, those worked great. i know for a fact its not the clutches, those are brand new !. whats left i thought ?. ok..got the 450 in the shop, in neutral, rolled it backwards , rolled easy, went to roll it forward, it rolled easy..then came to a stop as if i put it in gear ?..wth ??..i stood there thinking..hmm..lets try this again..rolled backwords..went to roll forward...it caught again ?!..i stood there thinkng about it..then it dawned on me...THAT STUPID ONE-WAY CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH BEARING !. soo..ordered it, and a new lights/kill switch.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

I just spend a long time getting caught up on this build. I always like Shade's builds. Can't wait for the pics. It's kinda like ordering the whole Yellowstone series and watching it all at the same time! LOL

well, it seems yu'll be waiting a tad longer ?..got issues with the one-way clutch bearing and light/kill switch, got those ordered as of now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadetree said:

well, it seems yu'll be waiting a tad longer ?..got issues with the one-way clutch bearing and light/kill switch, got those ordered as of now.

Just like a series "cliff hanger"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

Just like a series "cliff hanger"

haha...well..i had other stuff pop up back a few months ago, so i had to walk away from this project. now that i got a chance to fire it up, test ride it ?, all the unknowns reared its ugly head, sooo..i got to tear back into these areas to fix it.

3 hours ago, Misterclean said:

Ironic you brought up Yellowstone , seen  a video just an hour ago  , Costner is dropping out of Yellowstone and the remaining  episodes of this season have been canceled ,  Matthew McConaughey   is taking his place , Costner is going to work on his own western  movie , that he is starring in and directing , think it is called Horizon , Yellowstone was my favorite show 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Ironic you brought up Yellowstone , seen  a video just an hour ago  , Costner is dropping out of Yellowstone and the remaining  episodes of this season have been canceled ,  Matthew McConaughey   is taking his place , Costner is going to work on his own western  movie , that he is starring in and directing , think it is called Horizon , Yellowstone was my favorite show 

Are you sure? I've heard contrary stories. I hope.not.......he plays a good character. We anxiously await the Sunday night release of 1923. It's almost as good.