shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

update: down to bare frame. took me a min to get it down this far, started at 7 am, and just finished at 12;45 pm. rear stator cover, it has some kinda dent in it ?, sure enough, its all the way through, maybe this explains oil all over the outside of the engine ?!..lol. in last pic, center of bearing, you can barely make out the crack down in there.

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

I would guess P.O. beat on the case with a hammer ---

I had to change one of my case covers as it was dented , cracked and leaking oil , not in the same spot , it was over the clutch cover 

shadetree you’re really getting after it, coming along great so far

Yep that’s a strange crack on the  cover never seen anything like it, you’d think it would almost take a chisel…?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Weird.  Wonder what did that?

i have never seen anything like it ??, i have built many of engines..spec 450's, and not once have i ever seen a dent/crack where it is !.

45 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I would guess P.O. beat on the case with a hammer ---

I had to change one of my case covers as it was dented , cracked and leaking oil , not in the same spot , it was over the clutch cover 

if it was the starter hanging..and folks beat on those..but they do not beat on the stator case, least i've never seen it done in the past.

update: placed an order for all brand new mellow yellow plastics. i tried calling rocky mountain atv, and see if they could find out if they were still around from honda before i placed an order ??, ( jeep did awhile back, found out later they were discontinued ! ), so..i wound up calling honda motor corp, and checked with them, lady said after checking my vin #, that yes..it showed that most parts for this '02 trx450fm/s were still being made/sold by honda, so i thanked her, hung up, went back to rmatv, placed a VERY large dollar amount for all brand new plastics in my least fav color, mellow yellow !. all i need big dollar item now is the meter, and oem carb to get the engine to run. then later i will need rims, itp tires, center caps for the rims, seat, battery, then maybe decide on the front brakes, not sure if i want to put disk brakes ? ( more than likely i will ), new brake shoes for the rear. will need swing arm bearings, inspect the rear diff, axle, brake bearings..quite alot more to go through.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: placed an order for all brand new mellow yellow plastics. i tried calling rocky mountain atv, and see if they could find out if they were still around from honda before i placed an order ??, ( jeep did awhile back, found out later they were discontinued ! ), so..i wound up calling honda motor corp, and checked with them, lady said after checking my vin #, that yes..it showed that most parts for this '02 trx450fm/s were still being made/sold by honda, so i thanked her, hung up, went back to rmatv, placed a VERY large dollar amount for all brand new plastics in my least fav color, mellow yellow !. all i need big dollar item now is the meter, and oem carb to get the engine to run. then later i will need rims, itp tires, center caps for the rims, seat, battery, then maybe decide on the front brakes, not sure if i want to put disk brakes ? ( more than likely i will ), new brake shoes for the rear. will need swing arm bearings, inspect the rear diff, axle, brake bearings..quite alot more to go through.

I just happen to have what I'm pretty sure is an OEM 450 carb.  It was on that parts Rubicon I picked up a while back.  I knew it wasn't a Rubicon carb because there was no TPS on the side of it.

I looked up the numbers and as near as I can tell it's an 02-04 450 carb, and since I don't have a 450,  I reckon you can have it.  I'm sure it needs a kit, but might as well know it went to a good home.

I'll post a pic and the code on the side of it when I get home, make sure it's the right one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I just happen to have what I'm pretty sure is an OEM 450 carb.  It was on that parts Rubicon I picked up a while back.  I knew it wasn't a Rubicon carb because there was no TPS on the side of it.

I looked up the numbers and as near as I can tell it's an 02-04 450 carb, and since I don't have a 450,  I reckon you can have it.  I'm sure it needs a kit, but might as well know it went to a good home.

I'll post a pic and the code on the side of it when I get home, make sure it's the right one.

dang bro, you sure are making my life hard !..lol. ok..what is this gonna cost me ???..rofl. anywayyy..thank you very much jeep..anytime i can lend a hand or part i have..and you need it ?, just let me know !. ya know, i think i still have that dang 500 oil pump here some where , that i need you to have...lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

dang bro, you sure are making my life hard !..lol. ok..what is this gonna cost me ???..rofl. anywayyy..thank you very much jeep..anytime i can lend a hand or part i have..and you need it ?, just let me know !. ya know, i think i still have that dang 500 oil pump here some where , that i need you to have...lol.

You hooked me up on the rear end on my buddy’s 450 that I’m taking 5 years to finish

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You hooked me up on the rear end on my buddy’s 450 that I’m taking 5 years to finish

rofl...too funny...glad those parts worked for you/him !.

• Like 1

gotta head out here in a bit ( having morning coffee right this min, just woke up ) to my bud's place, round me up some engine case halves , stator cover, and lower engine skid plate. tracking number shows my engine parts made it to KY somewhere ??..lol. should have all those by the end of the week ?..i hope !!.

10-4.  I'll drop it in the mail this afternoon.  Looks like it's been rebuilt before, as the air/fuel screw is flathead and not that weird factory D head.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

10-4.  I'll drop it in the mail this afternoon.  Looks like it's been rebuilt before, as the air/fuel screw is flathead and not that weird factory D head.

all older style ( 300-400-450's ) use flat head slot in the air fuel mixture jet. let me know what the shipping is ?, i'll either send it to ya ?, or i'll pay it forward to the forums here.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

all older style ( 300-400-450's ) use flat head slot in the air fuel mixture jet. let me know what the shipping is ?, i'll either send it to ya ?, or i'll pay it forward to the forums here.

I'm sure you can help someone here out at some point...LOL

• Like 2

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

I'm sure you can help someone here out at some point...LOL

by paying it forward to the forums..i meant donating ..lol.

• Like 2

What I'd like to know is how the yahoo who had this Rubicon got it to run worth a crap with a 450 carb with no TPS on it.  I thought the Rubicons went into Limp mode if there was a TPS error code, so running a carb with no TPS would have made a machine that would never get out of limp mode.

Maybe that's why he got rid of it!  LOL

update: just got back from my buds place. picked up a lower engine skid plate, all rear fender stays are rusted on mine, got them off the frame there. got a better 12 volt outlet, lower steering bearing, dust seal, and snap ring. air temp sensor ( this one was cut at plug !. ), and a complete 450 lower engine that is a mixture of electric shift at the front, and manual shift on rear ?..haha..someone must converted it to manual shift at one point ?..I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY WOULD DO SUCH A THING ?!!..( YEAH..RIGHT ! )...ROFL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

What I'd like to know is how the yahoo who had this Rubicon got it to run worth a crap with a 450 carb with no TPS on it.  I thought the Rubicons went into Limp mode if there was a TPS error code, so running a carb with no TPS would have made a machine that would never get out of limp mode.

Maybe that's why he got rid of it!  LOL

you are correct, if they go into limp mode ( and it would after throwing code ! ), he tossed that atv to the curb..lol.

Just now, shadetree said:

you are correct, if they go into limp mode ( and it would after throwing code ! ), he tossed that atv to the curb..lol.

It was pretty rough and mostly gone (basically a frame, engine, steering shaft, gas tank, and carb), but I traded some old fenders and a couple of used CV's for it, so I did ok on the trade.

Mainly wanted an extra engine to go through.

i gotta get off my butt, get this engine out to my shop, and start tearing it down, all i need is the engine case halves, rear stator cover. i might hold onto the tranny gears ?, never know when i might need those !.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

It was pretty rough and mostly gone (basically a frame, engine, steering shaft, gas tank, and carb), but I traded some old fenders and a couple of used CV's for it, so I did ok on the trade.

Mainly wanted an extra engine to go through.

the tranny alone is worth what the whole atv was worth.