shadetree

2002 trx450fm ( S )

53 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: outer clutch shows to be here weds ?..dangit..it'll get here b4 the one-way clutch bearing ?, AND I ORDERED THE OUTER CLUTCH PART 2 DAYS AFTER THE ONE-WAY BEARING PART ?..WTH !..LOL.

I'm down to bolting the brake lines to the upper a-arms, the bolts on the front fender to rack, skid plates, new grips, and bolting down the seat plate.  I might beat you yet!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm down to bolting the brake lines to the upper a-arms, the bolts on the front fender to rack, skid plates, new grips, and bolting down the seat plate.  I might beat you yet!

go 4 it !..lol. if i had not stepped away for RL stuff ?.i would have been done weeks ago !..lol.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

go 4 it !..lol. if i had not stepped away for RL stuff ?.i would have been done weeks ago !..lol.

Well every time I get to work, the wife runs out with the threenager and says "Come get yo kid before I toss her out the window!"

Apparently what I consider normal 3 year old behavior is viewed as "She's a freakin heathen!" by the wife.

• Haha 2

update: got the outer clutch for the centrifugal clutch today, looks like ( going by the tracking number from rmatv ) the one-way bearing and light switch shows to make it here tomorrow ?, will update this if and when it gets here.

update: tracking number for the one-way bearing shows its out to be here today ?, i hope to get this project out of my hair soon ?. i also got to swap out the light switch for a new oem switch, it's also with the one-way bearing, i won't change that out until i get the atv back on the shop floor. i'll pray i do not need to do anything else to this ?..worse case...i'll have to pull the engine, go back through it to see wth is wrong ?..that will suck !..but i'll do what ever it takes to make this project right.

• Like 2

update: well crap..the one-way bearing did not fix the noise i am hearing ?, soooo...this means i will pull the motor, rip it all back apart, and see what the heck is going on with it. this sucks...but it is what it is. I WILL NOT SEND IT DOWN TO HER KNOWING FULL WELL IT'S NOT RIGHT !. 

• Like 3

Post a short video , so everyone can hear the noise , you can do it now right off your phone , Retro  rigged it up for videos a while back , I think 6 seconds is the max with my phone , but would guess the quality of what you recorded in makes a difference for the length ---- if the video is too long , use trim to chop it down 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Goober said:

Bummer. The stator isn’t scraping on the flywheel?

no..this is a transmission noise, something is not right with the transmission gears, its like the dogs are rubbing ?. i'll know more once i pull the engine, split it back apart.

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Post a short video , so everyone can hear the noise , you can do it now right off your phone , Retro  rigged it up for videos a while back , I think 6 seconds is the max with my phone , but would guess the quality of what you recorded in makes a difference for the length ---- if the video is too long , use trim to chop it down 

no need in trying to record it..its not consistant , i think its the dogs on one of the gears on the transmission. one way to find out, pull it, split it, see what is going on.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

no need in trying to record it..its not consistant , i think its the dogs on one of the gears on the transmission. one way to find out, pull it, split it, see what is going on.

I was thinking about other people learning from the issue -----  after all ,  you go as far as posting up the schedule of the UPS truck , when he passes you by and when he doesn't drop you off any thing -- why not use the feature 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking about other people learning from the issue -----  after all ,  you go as far as posting up the schedule of the UPS truck , when he passes you by and when he doesn't drop you off any thing -- why not use the feature 

if it was making the noise while sitting there running all the time ?, then yes..i would try to record it ?, but its not doing this ?, this is something inside on the tranny, a bad gear or something, maybe i got a bad gear ? maybe the gear dogs are bad ?, maybe i installed a gear without a thrust washer ?..i do not know ?..what i do know is..no recording is going to pick it up, and its better to show this in a pic when i find the problem..this why folks will know what to look for :-).

update: ok, i told bcs i was done earlier ?, but i got started yanking out the stupid 50cc, and drove the 450 in the shop, next thing i knew, i was yanking the engine out..lol. got it out of the frame, all split, just came in..i'm beat. what i found out so far: bearings on the idle crank gear are sloppy, both bearings on the bottom side of the transmission are sloppy, have not checked the front side case bearings yet where the tranny rides. one of the main crank bearings '' seems ' ok ?, i have not pulled the other main crank bearing yet ?, i'll check it tomorrow when i wake up, get back out there. bottom line : i'm finding a few bad bearings so far, i've never replaced bearings in the cases, this is a first, i guess they seen to many lake rides huh ?..lol. i did mention to bcs earlier on the phone when we spoke, i had a bad feeling about the main crank idle gear bearings ?, sure enough..i was right so far about these bearings. i was also right about the bearings " so far '' being bad on the tranny shafts. once i go through every bearing, see what is bad ?, see what i can get my hands on from honda ?, i'll order all new bearings that i can get my hands on. i won't do this until later next week when i get some cash in my hands from the trx500fm.

Word from this wise owl, if and when you split cases on any engine ?, it's a very good idea to check every bearing in there to make sure they are not sloppy ??!, or you will find yourself later on down the road kicking yer self for not checking them when you had it apart the first time !..lol. last but not least : i have not went through to check the gear dogs on the transmission ?, i will however eye ball them later and see how they look ?. i also will re-check the shift forks as well. time for me to hit the bed, i'll wore out. 

• Like 4

just placed a small order for some bearings off ebay, rmatv or partzilla did not have them, had to get them from ebay. all the other main bearings i got in my shopping cart at rmatv, i'll order those when i get some cash. had to grab these bearings off ebay seeing how no one had them from my reg supplier. yes..they are oem honda bearings !, just from another honda dealer on ebay.

• Like 1

got a couple bearings ordered from partzilla, rmatv did not have them for the final shaft ?, they had one of them, but not both, went ahead and ordered them from partzilla ( sigh ..really hate those folks with their high prices ) and to top this order off, it was not 149 bucks ?, so they charged me another 9 something bucks for shipping ?!..lol. once i get some bigger cash in my hands in a few days ?, i'll order the rest of the bearings from rmatv. this will give me time to go through all the gears for defects. 

update: i'm down to one bearing stuck in the center case, need a blind bearing puller tool to yank it out, and i do not have this tool !..lol. i could drill two small holes on the outside of the case, then use a drift punch to hammer the bearing out ?, but i'd rather not do this, i have no idea why honda made this bearing/case area this way where you could not hammer it out ?, then again..they do the very same crap with the needle bearing on the rear diff !. i'm not sure what it would hurt to drill holes in the case, hammer the bearing out ?, but maybe his area is not suppose to have oil flowing through it , i do not know ??.  my bud is trying to locate his blind bearing tool, i'll wait to hear from him. i see i can get a blind bearing tool set from harbor freight ?, but i'd hate to spend over 70 bucks for a tool set i may or may not ever use anytime soon ?..lol. i'll keep everyone up to date on how this turns out.

• Like 3

With as many engines as you have torn apart it's hard to imagine you have never needed a bearing puller tool.  Or you have just been that lucky all these years.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

update: i'm down to one bearing stuck in the center case, need a blind bearing puller tool to yank it out, and i do not have this tool !..lol. i could drill two small holes on the outside of the case, then use a drift punch to hammer the bearing out ?, but i'd rather not do this, i have no idea why honda made this bearing/case area this way where you could not hammer it out ?, then again..they do the very same crap with the needle bearing on the rear diff !. i'm not sure what it would hurt to drill holes in the case, hammer the bearing out ?, but maybe his area is not suppose to have oil flowing through it , i do not know ??.  my bud is trying to locate his blind bearing tool, i'll wait to hear from him. i see i can get a blind bearing tool set from harbor freight ?, but i'd hate to spend over 70 bucks for a tool set i may or may not ever use anytime soon ?..lol. i'll keep everyone up to date on how this turns out.

Shade

I know it sounds a bit hokey but it works, an old timer showed me years ago

Get a couple slices of bread-fresh lol, if its stale you can dampen it a bit,stuff it down in the bearing hole and find a bolt or shaft that will fit the

hole closely and just keep packing it in there, pretty soon it will get full and as you tap it down with a hammer to keep packing it in it will force the bearing out, you dont have to tap too hard just enough to keep packing it in

Then when it comes out you can just pull out the bread with a pick etc from the hole

First time i did it I was amazed, love the old time ingenuity of it

Let me know how it works for you, might want to support rear of the bearing (opposite side) with wooden block etc

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Shade

Get a couple slices of bread-fresh lol, if its stale you can dampen it a bit,stuff it down in the bearing hole and find a bolt or shaft that will fit the

hole closely and just keep packing it in there, pretty soon it will get full and as you tap it down with a hammer to keep packing it in it will force the bearing out, you dont have to tap too hard just enough to keep packing it in

Then when it comes out you can just pull out the bread with a pick etc from the hole

Let me know how it works for you, might want to support rear of the bearing (opposite side) with wooden block etc

This works like a charm. I do this when replacing bearings in my rc car motors. Easy money

1 hour ago, AKATV said:

Shade

i knew about the bread trick, just never tried it..lol. i went with drilling a hole, then from back side, couple taps with my hammer, and drift punch, it came right out.

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Camo said:

This works like a charm. I do this when replacing bearings in my rc car motors. Easy money

Yup..... Done that myself ..... Works great for pushing out a flywheel pilot bearing.... Among others, that's a great  old school problem solver.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Yup..... Done that myself ..... Works great for pushing out a flywheel pilot bearing.... Among others, that's a great  old school problem solver.

When someone told me that trick I was all man whatever. Till I tried it.

It's the best thing since sliced bread🤣😂😂

• Haha 1

Toilet paper works too.... Just gotta make sure it's wet..... BUT NOT USED! Lol! 

Paper towels

soap grease theres a bunch of defrent materials can be used ..... 

My friend Richard uses TP......said grease was to messy, and you never want anything (especaily petroleum products) on the contact surfaces of a dry clutch.... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Toilet paper works too.... Just gotta make sure it's wet..... BUT NOT USED! Lol! 

Paper towels

soap grease theres a bunch of defrent materials can be used ..... 

My friend Richard uses TP......said grease was to messy, and you never want anything (especaily petroleum products) on the contact surfaces of a dry clutch.... 

Charmin 🐻? Lol

I was just amazed at how easy the process was and watching the bearings lift was puzzling lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

answer me this, how are you going to get the bread..or whatever you use ?, down under the bearing from the start ?, if there is no room under the bearing, i do not see how you can get anything under it to push this bearing out. this bearing sits down flush inside the case, as in..flat down inside, no space under the bearing. if there was a space under the bearing ?, then yeah..this might work, but seeing how the bearing is all the way down inside the case, i do not see it working..but hey..what do i know ?..i'm just a home school'ed mechanic !..lol.

• Like 2