hodge5

My 99 TRX300FW

I bought my 300 new in 1999. It had always been a dream to have one- I well remember, as a teenager, going to the local Honda dealership and drooling over the 86 Foreman 4WD's. 

I kept it stock for many years, other than a DG full skid plate, a Warn 424 (bought it off of ebay, new never installed, for $120), and a winch. It has always been stored inside, and it has always had ethanol-free gas in it.

Eventually, the front brakes became unacceptable. The drums and shoes were good, but stopping power had diminished. So, I installed a SuperATV disc brake conversion, and sold the original tires and rims, buying 12 inch rims and Mud Lites. I don't mud or swamp my machine, but I sure do like the Mud Lites. 

It still has the original seat, plastics, rear brakes, racks, etc. Other than the mentioned changes, it is all original. I recently developed a stumble under acceleration, so I went through the induction system. I cleaned and installed a new Shindy kit in the carb, but that was probably unnecessary. It was very clean. 23 years not knowing that there was a screen to clean in the petcock, and when I removed it, no debris. The intake boot was in great shape, too. I had checked and cleaned the plug, and dismissed it, but that turned out to be my problem. When I rubbed a dirty finger over the porcelain, a hairline crack showed. I replaced the plug, and it runs perfect now. The only thing left to do is adjust the valves. 

Back to the front brakes- after I put the disc kit on, the brakes were only moderately better. I watched what happened as I pulled the brake lever, and I could see the line swell. I was loosing hydraulic pressure through the hose swelling. I replaced that with a new braided line, and it will stand on its nose, now. I bet that if I had determined that prior to putting the discs on, my original front brakes would have been like new. I really need to look for the simple solutions, first, instead of expecting the worse from the onset.

The first photo is from 2015, and the second is from about 2017.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Wow! Now that's a clean sharp 300fwd, i believe i spot a 424 kick out knob ? 

Yes, a Warn unit.