DeTaylor

2005 Honda Rancher ES 350

Picked up a project 2005 Honda Rancher ES 350 today. Snagged it for $900 - running and driving. 

Needs a couple things:

New meter - this meter is far beyond repait sadly. AKATV is already on the prowl!

Handle bars are slightly bent - assuming its been rolled in the past. Was able to bend it back to about 90%. May just leave it like this for a while unless it bothers me more

Both rear fender flares - Was able to sort the right from powersportsnation, but cannot find a left yet

Angle sensor - Powersportsnation for the win

Front brakes - once i get everything else sorted, i'll be be getting the disc break conversion from SuperATV

New Tires - on the way already

Front skid plate needs to be reshaped - nothing a rubber mallet and spray paint can't handle

Left CV Axel - ordered already

I have heard that there are a lot of interchangeable parts from later models. Any thoughts on things I can/should swap out?

IMG_2862.jpeg

• Like 1

400AT front diff swap where you have selectable 4wd is a good one.

420 disc brakes from 07-13 will bolt on at the ball joints

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

400AT front diff swap where you have selectable 4wd is a good one.

420 disc brakes from 07-13 will bolt on at the ball joints

Both of those sound very intriguing. Anything else needed for the disc swap? Disc, pad, caliper and bracket I’m assuming. 

Project is coming along nicely! Got just about everything knocked off the list. I’m only a few items left. Left fender flare, bend out front rack and paint, screen protector for meter, and lastly I caved and ordered the rear disc brake from superatv. 

3CF6496E-9634-4563-B8E4-A69050B1BFD3.jpeg

9C1FD06B-6C94-42F4-BC70-172D304A7974.jpeg

502BD834-BF23-4420-B3EF-2207D99A7D36.jpeg

Edited by DeTaylor

2 hours ago, DeTaylor said:

Project is coming along nicely! Got just about everything knocked off the list. I’m only a few items left. Left fender flare, bend out front rack and paint, screen protector for meter, and lastly I caved and ordered the rear disc brake from superatv. 

3CF6496E-9634-4563-B8E4-A69050B1BFD3.jpeg

9C1FD06B-6C94-42F4-BC70-172D304A7974.jpeg

502BD834-BF23-4420-B3EF-2207D99A7D36.jpeg

fair warning: those wheel studs can and will unscrew inwards when you go to screw the lug nuts on ?!. there is a vidoe of this i watched earlier about this happening. have a watch --> (2) Changing the disc brake conversion issue on a Honda Foreman. - YouTube .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

fair warning: those wheel studs can and will unscrew inwards when you go to screw the lug nuts on ?!. there is a vidoe of this i watched earlier about this happening. have a watch --> (2) Changing the disc brake conversion issue on a Honda Foreman. - YouTube .

I have the same kit on my Foreman as well. I haven’t experienced this issue yet but will definitely keep a closer eye on them now. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

I have the same kit on my Foreman as well. I haven’t experienced this issue yet but will definitely keep a closer eye on them now. 

how did you get the brake lines on the foreman to reach the brake caliber, with out rubbing any where ?, and stretching the crap out of it ?, i ask this, cuz when i tried to install this super atv brake kit to this '02 trx450fm, i ran into this very problem !. now i gotta send it back. gonna head out to my buds place and have a look at a trx500 rubi es he has, if it has front disk brakes ?, i'm gonna take them off, bring them home, and install them on this '02 trx450fm. was told by jeep that i will have to swap out the whole knuckle at the ball joint ?, but ..hey..whats another day of work...right ?..lol.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

how did you get the brake lines on the foreman to reach the brake caliber, with out rubbing any where ?, and stretching the crap out of it ?, i ask this, cuz when i tried to install this super atv brake kit to this '02 trx450fm, i ran into this very problem !. now i gotta send it back. gonna head out to my buds place and have a look at a trx500 rubi es he has, if it has front disk brakes ?, i'm gonna take them off, bring them home, and install them on this '02 trx450fm. was told by jeep that i will have to swap out the whole knuckle at the ball joint ?, but ..hey..whats another day of work...right ?..lol.

The line is VERY close to rubbing but does not and no extra stretch. You have to reroute the brake line to the back side of the shock. 

1 minute ago, DeTaylor said:

The line is VERY close to rubbing but does not and no extra stretch. You have to reroute the brake line to the back side of the shock. 

the brake lines run in the back of the shocks anyway on this foreman, as that is where the calibers should mount. with the bleeder screws on the top side ( as per the info online ), the banjo line end would not reach the caliber without being very tight ?, and blocking the bleeder screw on the caliber ?, then i had the issue with the line rubbing the end of the outer tie rod on top of the knuckle. all of this was tried without even attaching the upper line to the top a-arm ?!..there was no way to bolt it all up without the line not rubbing ?, or room to get to the bleeder screw ?, so i'm sending it back.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

the brake lines run in the back of the shocks anyway on this foreman, as that is where the calibers should mount. with the bleeder screws on the top side ( as per the info online ), the banjo line end would not reach the caliber without being very tight ?, and blocking the bleeder screw on the caliber ?, then i had the issue with the line rubbing the end of the outer tie rod on top of the knuckle. all of this was tried without even attaching the upper line to the top a-arm ?!..there was no way to bolt it all up without the line not rubbing ?, or room to get to the bleeder screw ?, so i'm sending it back.

I had this same issue at first. Give me 30 min and I can grab some pictures for you. 

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

I forgot to mention that you have to flip the brackets for the lines as well. Hope this helps!

57842EFC-3BA0-46BD-A12D-BDD2D4BED532.jpeg

0822B5C4-3C4F-42EB-81F4-B2EE8977B89E.jpeg

F38B37DB-2411-4958-B969-FCB13565A22D.jpeg

Some people mount the caliper in the front , seems most do the rear mount  -- on my other 450 I have tubing to the top the knuckles and then custom hoses from there 

pvEZAi2+Q2i+1EqhqCo9NA.jpg

V9+uYprcQ3SQrrSG7ygiGQ.jpg

IMG_8497.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Some people mount the caliper in the front , seems most do the rear mount  -- on my other 450 I have tubing to the top the knuckles and then custom hoses from there 

pvEZAi2+Q2i+1EqhqCo9NA.jpg

V9+uYprcQ3SQrrSG7ygiGQ.jpg

IMG_8497.JPG

i tried it with the caliber on the front..brake line still would not reach the caliber. and you HAD to add the custom line..because you have a lift kit..lol.

8 hours ago, DeTaylor said:

I forgot to mention that you have to flip the brackets for the lines as well. Hope this helps!

57842EFC-3BA0-46BD-A12D-BDD2D4BED532.jpeg

0822B5C4-3C4F-42EB-81F4-B2EE8977B89E.jpeg

F38B37DB-2411-4958-B969-FCB13565A22D.jpeg

i guess you missed the part where i said '' and i did not even have the brake line attached to the upper a-arm even '' ?..lol.

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

i guess you missed the part where i said '' and i did not even have the brake line attached to the upper a-arm even '' ?..lol.

Why would yours be different than all the others out there , maybe parts have been changed on yours and it is not stock 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Why would yours be different than all the others out there , maybe parts have been changed on yours and it is not stock 

its stock as far as i can tell ?, i'll take a pic, and post it.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

its stock as far as i can tell ?, i'll take a pic, and post it.

When we talked , I remember you saying something about putting the brake hoses back onto the atv , I remember asking " Why did you take them off " and you told me but  I forgot ------- could it be you routed it wrong along the way ??? >>>   I know I have rerouted about every one I done on 300s or 450s to make the disc work out   ------   also I have tweaked the end of the Banjo fittings by bending 

26 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

When we talked , I remember you saying something about putting the brake hoses back onto the atv , I remember asking " Why did you take them off " and you told me but  I forgot ------- could it be you routed it wrong along the way ??? >>>   I know I have rerouted about every one I done on 300s or 450s to make the disc work out   ------   also I have tweaked the end of the Banjo fittings by bending 

the line only bolts back on one way, because the center bolt, next to the line that goes up, has a bend in it, and a bracket tab right next to the line. here is the pic's i just took for the left side.

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG