_Wilson_™

Anything big stuff related

This thread is for those who enjoy big equiptment.... Ships, heavy, equipment of all types, videos, pics, custom builds,  life stories jobs..... I'll start hers one i like , and yes they do push the speed limits because you can't pull over many places to feed and water livestock. And yep trucking is a sickness....in a good way! 

• Like 4

Looks like the guy doing the video is driving a Super Duty.

My youngest son is a driver for Gordon Food Service and they recently got him a new truck.  It literally has all kinds of bells and whistles on it.  It has a governor on it which his old one also had and also has censor to let him know if someone is there when he is changing lanes.  He was in the far left lane on the expressway and was getting over in the center lane.  He said the beeper went off so he instinctively swerved back to the left.  When he caught his breath he realized that nobody was in the center lane and the sensor was detecting a vehicle in the far right lane.  I think some of the safety stuff goes too far and could actually cause an accident.

The truck also has an auto transmission that I don't think he cares for.  He says he can't manually hold it or change it into another gear.  It's possible that there is a way and he hasn't figured it out yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

This thread is for those who enjoy big equiptment.... Ships, heavy, equipment of all types, videos, pics, custom builds,  life stories jobs..... I'll start hers one i like , and yes they do push the speed limits because you can't pull over many places to feed and water livestock. And yep trucking is a sickness....in a good way! 

what i wanna know is..how the heck is this guy doing 80 in the slow lane, and not get behind someone slower in front of him ?. i've drove i-40 many times in my life...and not once could i do 80 in the slow lane, and not get backed up cuz some dummy was doing 55 in the slow lane !..lol.

• Haha 1

I don't know shade i was thinking the same, but isn't there some states that don't have speed limits certain times of the day ? Or some will see a truck moving on like those bull wagons were, and everybody cars trucks etc lays down on the hammer .... Least thats what they do here, they figure trucks know where the bears are, and that not always true..but cops will go after a over speeding semi before anything else..... So the small vehicle drivers feel somewhat safe having a bigger target to follow. 

I drafted off of two from columbia all the way to the Huntsville exit one night, and i was in my little white swab toyota 80-90 mph all the way there.... GF was in college and i was running late from rolling hay, so i layed heavy on the hammer .... And when i got up to them, i never had to touch the gas peddle, just took out of gear and used the brake to keep from being sucked up under the back end..... I was happy to get to see her, and also not using hardly any gas. Lol!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

Looks like the guy doing the video is driving a Super Duty.

My youngest son is a driver for Gordon Food Service and they recently got him a new truck.  It literally has all kinds of bells and whistles on it.  It has a governor on it which his old one also had and also has censor to let him know if someone is there when he is changing lanes.  He was in the far left lane on the expressway and was getting over in the center lane.  He said the beeper went off so he instinctively swerved back to the left.  When he caught his breath he realized that nobody was in the center lane and the sensor was detecting a vehicle in the far right lane.  I think some of the safety stuff goes too far and could actually cause an accident.

The truck also has an auto transmission that I don't think he cares for.  He says he can't manually hold it or change it into another gear.  It's possible that there is a way and he hasn't figured it out yet.  

Yeah they have went way over board with that safty mess.... I would be with your son, an auto in a semi ? Nah i wouldn't won't one I'll take the stick..... I can shift without a clutch once i get moving, I'd rather choose what gear I'm in rather then some brain box.... I also don't like all this new emItions BS..... A b model cat or old shool big cam cummins is me...... See they have limp modes on these new ones.... Some of you know what a limp mode / does, and it has no place on a truck, because all they can do in limp mode is slow up and try to get off the road, which isn't easy to do. All it does is cause traffic issues which we have enough of already. 

• Like 1

They're putting autos in them because a lot of the people they hire now don't have a clue how to drive a stick.  It's been many years since I've used a clutch but I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to get used to one again.

My son told me this evening that his truck is averaging 8.4 mpg. which I think is unreal for a big rig to be able to do.  He says he usually only has about 30,000 lbs. of food in his trailer so I'm sure that may account for some of it.  I'd say that not letting him shift when he wants to may help the mileage also. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

They're putting autos in them because a lot of the people they hire now don't have a clue how to drive a stick.  It's been many years since I've used a clutch but I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to get used to one again. 

Exactly correct.... Eh you never forgot, don't get me wrong Allison makes a great transmition, but they have no place... In a loaded rig, that's just my thinking ..... See they are also paired up with duramax powered Chevys .... Those i don't like ether, but i know some members here who own them and have never complained..... I have no idea about dodge / cummins setup tranny wise, except the five speed is slightly weaker then the six speed, but you also are dealing with a monster power plant under the hood.... First editions had 400 ft lbs torque .... That alot compaired to the old school trucks.... Fish could tell you just about anything on the cummins powered units  i think his big service truck has the bigger cummins 6.7 ? Our one ton has the old school mechanical inline pump she's a 5.9, and the gear shift lever has a slight vibration in  3rd gear, other then that she's a good one....... Never have he to l,uh the b,kick heater in to keep it warm, but pops does anyway.... Says its easier on the starter  which is true.

8 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

My son told me this evening that his truck is averaging 8.4 mpg. which I think is unreal for a big rig to be able to do.  He says he usually only has about 30,000 lbs. of food in his trailer so I'm sure that may account for some of it.  I'd say that not letting him shift when he wants to may help the mileage also. 

Wow! 8.4 mpg ?? That's impressive!, yeah i could understand the auto shift aiding in better fuel milage, but with a few extra specail gauges on the dash, i bet he can manual shift..... And get real close to the same milage as the auto shift.a boost gauge can tell you alot, it wouldn't shock me if they now have ome sorta mph, or milage gauge...... Oh i could go on n on about what these new clean burning trucks are costing us, plus diesel fuel isn't like it used to be, they taken the lubing copasity..... Out or cut it too far back for some of the older mechanical pumps, filter change and fuel lubing is the life of those, but the big iinline pumps like this for example.... Are lubed by engine oil. Not fuel. 

image.jpg

Got quite a few jumbo pics at the Toronto Airport over the years. Heres the Airbus A380.

Jul10033.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you atc rhats very impressive! does that monster A380 still hold the record  for the worlds largest double decker passenger airliner ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Yup, watched a couple Big Jet shows this week (repeats) on both jets. No one will build one that big again.

• Like 1

That will be hard to top...ahem i was talking about the atv...... I never thought of that song..... Lol nice add! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

One of its kind, 16V Detroit diesel (24.1 liter, 1.5 liters per cylinder), two turbos and two superchargers, 1100 hp and 3100 ft lbs torque. 100,000 pounds, carries 1000 gallons of fuel. 14 feet high, 13 feet wide (tractor alone, I assume), 27 ft long.

Latest job was pulling an 80 foot wide chisel plow.

Does this count?

Edited by hodge5

I saw this B-52 at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs back in 1989.  It is huge.  It looked like it to me anyway.  It had a sign that said it had a confirmed MIG kill during the Viet Nam War by the tail gunner.

Photos: At Air Force Academy, a B-52 tells the story - CNET

This Is How B-52 Bombers Destroyed Mig-21 Fighter Jets In Vietnam War – Military Fighter Jets

Edited by RubiDan

19 hours ago, hodge5 said:

One of its kind, 16V Detroit diesel (24.1 liter, 1.5 liters per cylinder), two turbos and two superchargers, 1100 hp and 3100 ft lbs torque. 100,000 pounds, carries 1000 gallons of fuel. 14 feet high, 13 feet wide (tractor alone, I assume), 27 ft long.

Latest job was pulling an 80 foot wide chisel plow.

Does this count?

Yes !! 

Picked this up at dawn Sunday morning.  Retired M103-A3 trailer.

Doesn't look like much, but for a trailer this size it will haul a LOT.

This one is a "Mad Max" edition converted to a fuel trailer, 2 tanks, 120 gals each, and a 12V transfer pump included.  

Price was right, I like old military stuff, and we've been looking for a way to haul fuel if we need to, so brought it home.

camper shell will be going away lol

0DE52534-87AE-49D3-AE2E-89D5A3589F62.jpeg

• Like 2