_Wilson_™

Anything big stuff related

On 9/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

This thread is for those who enjoy big equiptment.... Ships, heavy, equipment of all types, videos, pics, custom builds,  life stories jobs..... I'll start hers one i like , and yes they do push the speed limits because you can't pull over many places to feed and water livestock. And yep trucking is a sickness....in a good way! 

Pete, Pete, Ken, and Pete . . . . out for a stroll. 🐂 🚛

Rebuilt an older airmaster autumaire 420S drum fan. Replaced pulley and cleaned the motor, body and blades. I am still looking for 12 Hillman 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 well nuts to mount the fan guards. I bought all they had at Lowes now hunting haunting local hardware stores lol.

Hypnotic 

sounds like a C130 engine 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

wow , nice fan ,don't park too close to that one ,  bet it might lift paint , LOL ---  What does a  well nut lock like , got a pic ? 

• Like 1

The well nut is a rubber expansion nut, in this case used to mount the fan guard. You push it into a blind hole in the drum frame and then thread a 1/4 x 20 x 1 inch truss head screw into a guard mounting hole. it keeps the guard from vibrating 11F7A2A3-A2CF-49A0-86B1-9E8C682BDA6E.jpeg

57BF2B7F-B72C-4787-A627-68DD9B47A832.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

No one has any here. I can’t just ask lowes to reorder for in store either. I ordered online and they will mail to me — no instore pickup. Urrps my !, but i gotta have em. eBay listed 10, but two different sellers —- two ship charges 

Edited by Goober

Online I would think McMaster Carr , Grainger ( but they are expensive )  or Zorro 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Online I would think McMaster Carr , Grainger ( but they are expensive )  or Zorro 

If you look, Zoro IS Grainger.  Same part numbers, same products, just cheaper.  LOL  Same company.

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If you look, Zoro IS Grainger.  Same part numbers, same products, just cheaper.  LOL  Same company.

I  didn't know that and  I have used Zoro many times and we have a walk in Grainger store in Elmwood 

So is the tank of water for cooling used as wasted water cooling or circulated thru the brakes I’d guess the first 

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

So is the tank of water for cooling used as wasted water cooling or circulated thru the brakes I’d guess the first 

Hi Fish,  The water is gravity sprayed on the outside of the brake drums. These Hays/Pacific off road trucks often pack 100+ tons. Coming off the mountain in a cloud of steam and dust, they are a memorable sight to see. 

• Like 2

Does the company who makes them offer a 6x6 model ? Nd being as old as the detriot is intake it they've been re powered ? 

I found this very interesting. Not too sure if  it's acurite....

• Like 3

Learned something today , never knew there was a 1-71 Detroit ---- the car with the V16 and air starter with the air tank in the trunk was cool

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

Hi Fish,  The water is gravity sprayed on the outside of the brake drums. These Hays/Pacific off road trucks often pack 100+ tons. Coming off the mountain in a cloud of steam and dust, they are a memorable sight to see. 

Yup, fish me as well one thing i found odd far as i recall i don't recall him ever calling the bored out turbo models silver...... My friend told me there was the 71 series , and then bored out and turbo boosted the same block, it was then reborn as the silver 92, and for those who still say they will not run backwards ?? They in fact will, the detriot is also still called the most useful Diesel engine ever produced, used in stationary units....trucks, ships, busses, and most used in fire trucks .. The battle detriots  (no joke) used in the military applications had quiet a bit more power..... But they all had the unmistakeable familure sound. 

Man now that's some weight! Is that payload, or gross ?? 

If you've run Detroit powered iron for a while . . . you just don't hear them anymore. Or your phone ringing, wife yelling, or the dog barking.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have a friend with a 45 ft shrimp skimmer boat with twin  V- Detroit Diesels in it , when you start the boat for a trip , the engines doesn't get shut off till your back at the dock , it is a  feeling when it goes quiet after being noisey and vibrations  for 10-12 hours straight ---- 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have seen they start up backwards and I seen them run away quite a few times , one time one ran away  threw rags into the air filter housing  to shut it down and it ate the rags and  was blowing little pieces of burning rag threw the blower in the air 

• Like 2

Yup my friend was driving dump back a Gmc Brigadier (aka Chevrolet Bruin) had 671 went to backup and dump the truck stumbled ...... But didnt shut off, and he then noticed he had only a few forward gears, and a number of reverse gears he said it had a defferent sound and was smoking from the air filter housing he choked the truck down went to investigate ....... And learned the engine had indeed ran backwards, but told me it made more of an oily mess then anything, also said he checked the oil, it was fine, so he started it and went back at it, said it took a while to stop smoking from the oil that was blown up into the blower coating everything all the way from the blower to the air filters, SO, they just replaced the air filters did a service/cleanup job, and never had to work on the engine, the only other one that i personally had run backwards was that super hot extended hood Pete my good friend moser owns and no its not powered by an old school Detroit, but rather a B model  mechanical Cat he had Howard Ship (certified cat equipment tech) tweak everything that could be tweaked   On that engine, and you could tell it on the road..... That truck is frightening fast loaded..... I still don't get how a cat engine all the sudden after a stumble ran backwards, thankfully just a few seconds i saw smoke from both side mounted air filter housing, and shut her down...... Never did harm the engine, that was the second time she pulled that trick ..... She did the same with moser one time..... No one could answer his question (how is this possible with an inline mechanical pump along with the design  of the engine it's self)

• Like 2

Some of the builders are idiots because you can't use stock rear and front ends with that much power on those 4x4 pullers.

• Like 1