Eelang

Rincon 680 won’t go over 30

Also a clogged exhaust system can act like that. Try loosening the exhaust flange until it leaks and see if that helps. Otherwise it sounds like a timing curve problem.

Edited by Misterclean

No faster than 25 in manual 2nd and no more than 30 in 3rd manual and in auto it’ll downshift into second if I full throttle 

I ran it without muffler and without air filter and no change.

• Like 1

I'd be looking at the cam as Toodeep suggested.  He runs a Honda shop at a dealership........he knows his stuff.

• Like 1

No faster than 25 in 2nd and no more than 30 in 3rd manual and in auto it’ll downshift into second if I full throttle 

never changes or goes faster 

Intake cam lobe is gone and lifter cup worn. 
what’s the best cam and part kit to get this job done and give this thing alittle more performance? 
I obviously need cam, lifter cups and gaskets but other than that what should I get? Do I need head gasket too? Anything performance be worth it? Do I get the rear cam retainer bearing and chain too or just throw a cam and cups in and call it a day? Let me know best part supplier so I can order this crap asap. Thank guys 

Edited by Eelang
  • Confused 1

Webcams are supposed to be nice, but in my experience with these single cylinder Honda engines, short of stroking, big bore, and cam together, you don't notice any power gains just swapping out a part or two.

I'd get an OEM cam and put it in and run it.

I stick with OEM. I've ran the performance cams in the Rincons and can't say they did anything by themselves. You will need a head gasket, head cover gasket, camshaft and followers. You might want to get the exhaust gasket on the cylinder head as well. With only 500 miles on it all the other parts should be like new yet. A little tip when setting the timing, lay a flat card/razor blade on the head to help line up the mark.

If you have a local dealer they might have the stuff in stock. Ordering online I go through Rocky Mountain ATV for my stuff.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, toodeep said:

I stick with OEM. I've ran the performance cams in the Rincons and can't say they did anything by themselves. You will need a head gasket, head cover gasket, camshaft and followers. You might want to get the exhaust gasket on the cylinder head as well. With only 500 miles on it all the other parts should be like new yet. A little tip when setting the timing, lay a flat card/razor blade on the head to help line up the mark.

If you have a local dealer they might have the stuff in stock. Ordering online I go through Rocky Mountain ATV for my stuff.

Is there a quality problem with the original parts?

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

Is there a quality problem with the original parts?

The problem is hit and miss and with the number of machines out there kind of a small number. I haven't had any issues after replacing them with OEM parts. I've seen issues with aftermarket cams as well so it's not just OEM that can do it.

When replacing cam do I pull the jug and replace that gasket also it just swap cam and replace head gasket? 

Just the head gasket. The cylinder has enough smaller bolts holding it in place that the gasket stays bonded.

your transmission is probs going bad i have a 2004 680 mine did that and a week later the trans blew 2 and 3 gear let go. get rid of it 680s are pieces of garbage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harleydavidson said:

your transmission is probs going bad i have a 2004 680 mine did that and a week later the trans blew 2 and 3 gear let go. get rid of it 680s are pieces of garbage

I'm not a big fan of the 3 speed, but my buddy has about 5K miles on his, 2/3's of which are bouncing off the rev limiter, and his didn't miss a lick until he sank it for the 4th or 5th time.

Had the top end replaced, new oil pump, and new oil pump chain, and he's doing rooster tails again.

1 minute ago, Eelang said:

So I just finished replacing cam etc. and it runs like a champ 

Good deal !!!!    Why you think the cam wore out , did you investigate that issue , maybe low oil pressure , sunk before  ???  

I'm glad your got it going and now can enjoy it. I have a different opinion on the transmission than the above statement. Besides wearing the clutches (mostly on the heavier sxs using the same motor) they have been bullet proof. 

15 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I'm glad your got it going and now can enjoy it. I have a different opinion on the transmission than the above statement. Besides wearing the clutches (mostly on the heavier sxs using the same motor) they have been bullet proof. 

My buddy’s is much better geared with the BR gear reduction