hodge5

My 99 TRX 300 had a stumble

I will, hopefully, not ramble; my goal is to share a report on what I had, what I found, and what I have now, so that someone else can use it for information.

My 99 TRX300FW had a stumble under acceleration of the engine. It would happen when I blipped the throttle in neutral, or when driving. It didn't always do it, and I couldn't find a condition

that would predicate it. Sometimes it did it, sometimes it didn't. When it did, I would hit the throttle and there would be a stumble in the RPM's before they would increase; sometimes, if I didn't back off, it would quit. If I did back off and hit it again, it would rev. Sometimes, it ran 100%; sometimes, it stumbled a little, but it ran 90%. Sometimes, it was 40%. 

I posted a request for insight on HondaATV, and Goober stepped up to the plate (along with Eric the Red). Previously, I had pulled the plug and checked it- it was slightly fouled, so I cleaned it. The gap was good, and the electrode showed no erosion. Under suggestion, I checked the vent line- it was clear. I checked the screen in the petcock, it was clean. That surprised me- it had never been off, in 23 years. No crud, particles, or varnish. It was clean as a whistle. I then ordered a Shindy kit for the carb, and pulled it off once the kit arrived. The carb was as clean as the screen, with only a slight amount of varnish in the bowl. A quick spray with some 2+2 and that was gone. No clogged passages, the float was fine, everything was moving freely. I had the kit, so I put all the new parts in. It ran the same- exactly the same. I checked the intake manifold, and it looked good with no cracks or leakage at the mating surface, but I put a new one in anyway. Still the same. I had not adjusted the valves, and the shop manual (Clymer) suggested that out of adjustment valves could cause a high RPM miss. So, I made an appointment with a local shop (Superior ATV Unlimited, in Stuarts Draft, VA) to adjust them. All of my spare time was spent, so I decided to have them do it. 

They are busy (the local dealership won't look at older machines, so they get the business), so it would be a few weeks before they could do it. In the meantime, my brain churned over what else it could be, if it wasn't the valves. I didn't think that the solution would be found there. It would help, but I didn't think that it was the root issue. So, during a break in work (I have a small fab/welding shop at my home, which I work out of), I pulled the plug again. Looking it over, I ran a dirty finger over the porcelain of the plug- and a faint crack appeared. No way it could be that simple, I thought. I didn't have a new plug on hand to put in it, but I had an old one that was still good, so I threw it in. Bam, that was it. It ran like a million bucks, no stumble or hesitation. Still dubious, I took it for a ride that evening- and it ran great. Over the next few days, I rode it as much as time would allow- and it never missed a beat. The valves were adjusted (they needed it), but that wasn't the root cause- it was a bad plug that looked great during a cursury exam. I have no regrets going through the processes that I did, because I learned a lot and didn't spend much. But, for once, it really was a simple solution.

It has a new plug now, and I took it for a long run yesterday. It ran flawless, and it is 100%.

IMG_0357 (1).jpg

Edited by hodge5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your time, it was very informative. Sometime persistence pays off... have a great day

30 yrs doing this..and what i've learned is..never is something too small to ruin your day !. thanks for the write up !.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shadetree said:

30 yrs doing this..and what i've learned is..never is something too small to ruin your day !. thanks for the write up !.

I have a habit of looking for the more complex, worse case first. In this case, I had looked at the plug first, but I didn't check the porcelain close enough. 

Good and informative topic. It was a long walk to a short solution. Well written story.... Thanks for the insight.... BenL

Hodge ......I'm the sameway always look for the worst case scenario which as you say, isn't always the case, and doesn't it feel good when it's a simple fix, glad you got it sorted and thank you for a very good write up..... Now ride her like you stole her lol'! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hodge ......I'm the sameway always look for the worst case scenario which as you say, isn't always the case, and doesn't it feel good when it's a simple fix, glad you got it sorted and thank you for a very good write up..... Now ride her like you stole her lol'! 

I did, yesterday. We have a cabin that's about 2 miles off road. It is a nice ride back there in my Jeep or truck, but it's even more pleasant on the Honda, 50 degrees, no bugs, just glorious sunshine. The great running 4 wheeler was icing on the cake.

IMG_0080.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting up what you found.

That's how most of us ended on on a forum; looking for a solution to a problem and doing a search.

As a Jeeper, you know the way you have to look at that now is "well at least I know the carb, petcock, and valves are good to go for awhile!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Thanks for posting up what you found.

That's how most of us ended on on a forum; looking for a solution to a problem and doing a search.

As a Jeeper, you know the way you have to look at that now is "well at least I know the carb, petcock, and valves are good to go for awhile!"

Very true; I can simplify it further- well, at least I now know how to clean and rebuild the fuel system. While I don't want to throw parts or waste energy, I do want to learn.

I was always taught look for fuel and spark and go from there, good find and something to keep in mind.