LoganLemx

Stuck Swing arm Bolts

My driver side swing arm bolt is very stuck. It is rusted in place I tried a breaker bar 4FT it it broke a extension any ideas to get it out? Tried PB blaster, used a impact, and its a 1/2 in anvil.

19 minutes ago, LoganLemx said:

My driver side swing arm bolt is very stuck. It is rusted in place I tried a breaker bar 4FT it it broke a extension any ideas to get it out? Tried PB blaster, used a impact, and its a 1/2 in anvil.

is it stuck in the bearing ?, or will it not unscrew ?, i use a 4 ft cheater pipe on a 17mm allen wrench to break them loose. if a cheater pipe wont budge it ?, take a bottle of map gas too it, heat the crap outta it...then use the cheater pipe on it..i bet it'll break loose then !.

I think I'd take out the other side, and rock the swingarm out, leaving that one in there.  Replace your swingarm bearings, and rock the swingarm back in there.

Any chance it's welded in there where you can't see the weld?  If those threads go bad it pretty much ruins the frame, so welding in one side is something I've heard of people doing.

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think I'd take out the other side, and rock the swingarm out, leaving that one in there.  Replace your swingarm bearings, and rock the swingarm back in there.

Any chance it's welded in there where you can't see the weld?  If those threads go bad it pretty much ruins the frame, so welding in one side is something I've heard of people doing.

haha..i had to do this very same thing the other day. i went to install the left rear bolt, done, installing right side..it seemed like something was not right ?, oh well..finished tightening the bolt..walk over to my bench...low and behold..there laid the dang right side inner tapered bearing ?!..oh crap..it musta fell out when i was hammering in the left side..and did not notice it fell out ?..crap !. i'm thinking great..now i gotta remove the left side bolt too to drop the swing arm ?..nope !..i just pull the right side out..let the swing arm drop down at an angle..far enough to stab the bearing back into the swing arm !..lol. it sucks getting old i tell ya !.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoganLemx said:

Standard answer on Facebook to that question ::   Hit it with your purse , and if that don't get it , then go get your big purse  !!!!   LOL 

I just did this job myself and on the right side , the lock ring side , it was frozen  bad with rust , the cheater pipe I used was about 5.5 ft long , @jeep hooked me up with a new pivot bolt as the old one was trashed , thanks again Jeep 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LoganLemx said:

got them out thanks guys it took a air hammer and a broken extension though

pounded them out from the inside of frame eh ?..been there..done that.

I am a little confused now ^^^^  ---- Did you get the pivot bolts out ?  -----  Or where you working on getting  the bearing races out the swing arm ?  I think the later is where your at now 

What method did you use to get the bearing races out ? --- Are you going to torque the pivot bolts and lock ring down or just wing it ? 

on the passenger side i chipped them out. on the driver side i pried them out from the driveshaft tube i torqued driver side to 90ftlbs and 5ftlbs on passenger and locked the collar 

• Like 3