CoryG

2008 trx500 transmission

I have a 2008 trx500 that the 1st gear was stripped all other gears worked fine. I've changed the 1st gear the dog and fork. Now The only gears that work are 1st and reverse. When trying to shift out of 1st everything jams up and I cant fully shift into second.  I tried taking the new gear out an still the same thing happens. Something seems to be out of wack an not allowing the drum to fully rotate.

5 hours ago, CoryG said:

I have a 2008 trx500 that the 1st gear was stripped all other gears worked fine. I've changed the 1st gear the dog and fork. Now The only gears that work are 1st and reverse. When trying to shift out of 1st everything jams up and I cant fully shift into second.  I tried taking the new gear out an still the same thing happens. Something seems to be out of wack an not allowing the drum to fully rotate.

you installed something backwards.i'll bank on this. pull it all back down, pull up the fich on partzilla, find your year, make, model, then scroll down the list, until you see transmission compare the pic to the way yours is ?, chances are..you got one or two gears facing the wrong way ?.

You faced the dots on the new shifter towards the first gear correct? if your bench testing the shifting with the cases apart sometimes you need to rotate them a lot and help them fall into place.

• Like 1

My guess is you flipped a gear over when putting it back together.

did you pull the whole transmission? Or just pull first gear and the sliding gear off that came in the new gear set?

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

you installed something backwards.i'll bank on this. pull it all back down, pull up the fich on partzilla, find your year, make, model, then scroll down the list, until you see transmission compare the pic to the way yours is ?, chances are..you got one or two gears facing the wrong way ?.

That's what I'm thinking I have something backwards. I printed out the papers thanks

That's what I'm thinking that something is backwards. I printed out the pictures of the gears thanks for the help

10 hours ago, toodeep said:

You faced the dots on the new shifter towards the first gear correct? if your bench testing the shifting with the cases apart sometimes you need to rotate them a lot and help them fall into place.

I did put the dot towards the 1st gear the new gear came with a paper showing to do that.  It's not shifting on the bench or on the bike 

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

My guess is you flipped a gear over when putting it back together.

did you pull the whole transmission? Or just pull first gear and the sliding gear off that came in the new gear set?

From what I can remember when taking the motor apart I took off just the 1st gear.  Being my first time doing this I took pictures as I went so I wouldn't forget how everything went back. 

Have you tried rotating it while you try shifting?

if you didn’t pull the transmission I don’t see how you could have flipped a gear. 

Was the letters up on the shift forks when they was installed? I don't even know if it's possible to install them upside down but maybe it is. They should have had RR, CN, FR on them and they all would face the front side of the motor. Those would have been pulled loose or removed when replacing the shifter (what the fork slides into) for the 1st/reverse gear.