Turbo Twister

New to me 2002 TRX450 S

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I posted here (my dad has been on here recently about my trx 300). Ive been quite busy the past 2 years, meeting my now wife, changing my day job, moving 2 hours from my family home to a 32 acre small holding in the middle of the countryside where we now farm goats for goats milk soap among other products so I have put many things on hold since then.

Well, today I purchased what I considered a rather clean 02 TRX450 S from a dealer 2 hours away from me. I bought it to take the pressure off my trx300 (I'm sure most of you remember that bike rebuild!) as I bought a new flail mower this year to combat heavy growth on our small hold. The 300 is fine on level fields, spraying and light duty chores but facing a hill with a 200kg mower behind, it struggled a little. I lost a wheel and hub at one stage and the swing arm had been acting up again, so I bit the bullet and went bigger.

I did initially look at a TRX500 but they are crazy expensive to buy and I couldn't justify the price for the amount of work I use them for.

I'm sure I'll be asking plenty more questions about it down the line, but for now, here's a few pics of both bikes.

20220930_172701.jpg

20220930_172712.jpg

IMG-20220930-WA0004.jpeg

• Like 6

nice !. i've got a build thread in the custom section on a 2002 trx450fm/s going on right now, just waiting on fenders from honda.

• Like 2

@Turbo Twister @Bluezulu49 It's been a while sence we seen you, welcome back ! I didn't know if you two were ever coming back. Turbo congrats on marriage, hope you two will be very happy, and that new to you 450s looks good . 

Again, glad to see y'all back in the forums. 

• Like 2

Hi Wilson and Shade. Nice to have a reason to be back. From Turbo's description it looks like there there is not much to be done to this machine. Initial inspection seems to indicate that 4 wheel centre covers are required, a new rear brake / reverse lever and the rear brake cover o ring. Fortunately all of these parts appear to be available from Europe. (It's getting very expensive to ship items from the USA to Ireland).

Since we refurbished the Trx 300 it has been very reliable and required next to no work. In the meantime we have worked on Trubo's Hanix H09d mini digger and his new wife's Kubota B6000. So  we have not been idling in the meantime.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluezulu49 said:

Hi Wilson and Shade. Nice to have a reason to be back. From Turbo's description it looks like there there is not much to be done to this machine. Initial inspection seems to indicate that 4 wheel centre covers are required, a new rear brake / reverse lever and the rear brake cover o ring. Fortunately all of these parts appear to be available from Europe. (It's getting very expensive to ship items from the USA to Ireland).

Since we refurbished the Trx 300 it has been very reliable and required next to no work. In the meantime we have worked on Trubo's Hanix H09d mini digger and his new wife's Kubota B6000. So  we have not been idling in the meantime.

i just got a kubota b2100 a few weeks ago, had to rebuild the hydrostat ?, very high dollar !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, we'll make ether a farmer  or tractor mechanic out of shade.... We'll have him fixing all kinds of stuff........ We just haven't desided yet..... Im all for a tractor wrencher. 

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

i just got a kubota b2100 a few weeks ago, had to rebuild the hydrostat ?, very high dollar !..lol.

My wife got the B6000 for free from her dad's friend. It comes with a front loader (both main rams are still leaking so it's not very powerful to lift), a bucket, I made a small set of dung forks for it that need better forks than the ones I salvaged from a job, a working rotovator and a tine Harrow that needs some tidying. It's a great tractor to pull but because it's so narrow and top heavy, I dislike using it to pull the mower on steep ground. If it was possible to get much wider tyres for it I might change my mind about using it more.

Dad replaced 2x glow plugs on it a few months back is it was a pig to start, it also has a new battery and probably its first oil change in over 8 years. I'll look for or take better pictures of it. I would say all the steering bushes and front axle need an overhaul as there's a lot of play up that end.

20220619_221932.jpg

Hi , good to hear from our old friends on the other side the pond !!! 

I have the same line up , 300s and 450s , good choice , best two utility ATVs Honda put out 

• Like 2

I thought I'd update you all with a few more pics and what I have found since bringing the bike back to the farm. It appears to have the following brand new parts:

Full Wiring loom replacement.

Front and rear steel racks.

Front steel bumper.

Steering rack ball joints at both ends x2.

Steering rack bearing.

New brake lines all over.

New brake shoes rear.

New seat cover(much better padded than my 300).

A separate on/off switch for manual fan control on the handle bars (I'm told by the dealer I bought the bike from that the heat sensors on these bikes give trouble?).

Nearly new tyres on rear (someone used a heat iron to cut silly notches in the previously fine looking tyres).

I'm sure there are other new parts I haven't come across yet, but that's what I've found so far. The plastics appear to be original to the bike, the areas under both racks are red and the rest of the bike has faded pink, so I would assume the racks both had a box of some sort on them and the bike was left in a sunny/outdoor spot for its previous life?

I also noticed the day I went to look at it that the front of the bike sits an inch lower on the RHS than the LHS. Further inspection reveals an extra coil at the top of one front spring vs the other, I'm wondering if the spring on the right side has weakened over time or the shock absorber has failed on that side?

I also found a repair job which I do not like and I do plan to repair with a welding job. The upper bracket for the front differential is missing on one side and someone was done a quick fix by bolting another piece of metal to it, but I wouldn't trust it to last and I wouldn't like to see the tiny bolt holding it snap.

More info to come, I will be stripping down the front of the bike at a later date for the diff bracket repair and will have a good look at everything else while its opened up. I also intend to build a bash and skid plate for it like I did for my 300.

On a side note, can someone point me in rhe right direction on how to adjust the beam on the handlebars?

20221003_193629.jpg

20221003_193757.jpg

20221003_194147.jpg

20221003_194324.jpg

20221003_194331.jpg

• Like 2

Nearly new tyres on rear (someone used a heat iron to cut silly notches in the previously fine looking tyres).

are you talking about tire siping ?? That does work good for better grip, but on a cleated atv tire ?? Your right it's over kill. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:15 AM, Turbo Twister said:

My wife got the B6000 for free from her dad's friend. It comes with a front loader (both main rams are still leaking so it's not very powerful to lift), a bucket, I made a small set of dung forks for it that need better forks than the ones I salvaged from a job, a working rotovator and a tine Harrow that needs some tidying. It's a great tractor to pull but because it's so narrow and top heavy, I dislike using it to pull the mower on steep ground. If it was possible to get much wider tyres for it I might change my mind about using it more.

Dad replaced 2x glow plugs on it a few months back is it was a pig to start, it also has a new battery and probably its first oil change in over 8 years. I'll look for or take better pictures of it. I would say all the steering bushes and front axle need an overhaul as there's a lot of play up that end.

20220619_221932.jpg

loosen the hubs on rear axle, the wheels will move in and out on the axle..will give you a better stance !.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

loosen the hubs on rear axle, the wheels will move in and out on the axle..will give you a better stance !.

We have that done alright, we even have 75kg wheel weights on each wheel for counter balancing the front loader, but it's only effective on level flat ground, as I found out the hard way lol!

We had to buy 2x new front tyres for it earlier in the year as the previous 2 were rotten, and I would imagine possibly the originals. It was hard to source a matching new pair and dad spent many calls and trips sourcing 2 similar sized threaded tyres for it. Our B6000 is a 1974 model with the reverse PTO, but you can get a gearbox to put it right and for using any implement there after.

• Like 1

Hi Turbo , it has been a while , you got any interesting projects  , other than ATVs , going on right now ? >>> 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

We have that done alright, we even have 75kg wheel weights on each wheel for counter balancing the front loader, but it's only effective on level flat ground, as I found out the hard way lol!

We had to buy 2x new front tyres for it earlier in the year as the previous 2 were rotten, and I would imagine possibly the originals. It was hard to source a matching new pair and dad spent many calls and trips sourcing 2 similar sized threaded tyres for it. Our B6000 is a 1974 model with the reverse PTO, but you can get a gearbox to put it right and for using any implement there after.

PTO reversers are like hen's teeth here in the US- are they more readily available in your neck of the woods? I know that Kubota has a big footprint worldwide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Turbo , it has been a while , you got any interesting projects  , other than ATVs , going on right now ? >>> 

It sure has @Fishfiles! I spent the past 12 months building a goat barn for my wife with whatever material we could afford. Its mainly new concrete floors with a land drain and manholes running under the shed to carry water from ditches along the fields above it. The roof is timber structure with corrugated steel sheeting and the existing side walls were clad with hit and miss timber for ventilation. We had our wedding reception in it to save on finances and it was worth it.

I also bought a 4ft flail mower at the start of spring to replace my home built mower, it just wasn't up to the job. It's a massive upgrade for me and it can cut an acre of rushes in about 2 hours, vs about 6 hours per acre with my home built job.

We are currently building a craft room for my wife and mother in law so they can continue with their goats milk soap manufacturing amongst other projects, then I have to build another internal office for my father in law.

Once all that is done, we have a few sheds to re roof, but I would also like to make a home made log splitter using the engine off my old mower. Does anybody know cab you get a hydraulic pump to fit onto a vertical shaft engine?

Screenshot_20221004-151936_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-151949_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-152010_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-152037_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I forgot to mention, I also added a thumb to my 1 ton digger, it's super handy for loading dung into the quad trailer, as well as for picking up big stones and branches of trees for cutting.i bought the thumb itself but made the brackets for it myself.

Screenshot_20221004-152400_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hodge5 said:

PTO reversers are like hen's teeth here in the US- are they more readily available in your neck of the woods? I know that Kubota has a big footprint worldwide.

They're rare enough here too, I have seen the odd one advertised, a clean restored B6000 without the loader or any attachments can sell for about €4000 here. Getting parts for them isn't too bad either, plenty of parts available for them across Europe and the UK, it's just knowing where to look. What I love about ours is it runs of fumes, unlike the quads!

Just now, Turbo Twister said:

They're rare enough here too, I have seen the odd one advertised, a clean restored B6000 without the loader or any attachments can sell for about €4000 here. Getting parts for them isn't too bad either, plenty of parts available for them across Europe and the UK, it's just knowing where to look. What I love about ours is it runs of fumes, unlike the quads!

i bought the b2100, fixed it, purchased a 4ft tiller, 4ft box blade, and just purchased a 3ft bush hog, yep..yer right, diesels  sip that fuel !.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

We have two both 4x4 dif lock sq front and back one 4 bsnger natural aspirated and one turbo 4 banger  ranging in power from about 60 to a hair over 100 hundred, both loadsr equipt i know the smaller model m6950 (4wd) she's powered by the 234 CID plant 

, and it's a pre chamber diesel ( has glow plugs) 42.9 kw (a stronge! 66 horse power plant) one of the features is the creep gear transmition in the low hole.... That would give fish a run for his money on his gear reduction honda..... Lol ..... She's super slow....lol!... In the lowest gear the speed (if you could call it that) 0.2 .......haha! You couldn't choke this tractor if you tried! ..... anyways those are becoming extremely popular here in the states..... They hardly ever give any trouble, and parts are available for the newer models, but there getting hard to locate for older tractors like (2,4wd models) the m5950 m6950 m7950, and m8950, no reverse pto, how ever that would be handy to have for SOME pto driven machines, BUT NOT ALL..... Because of the damage that WOULD happen to them if they reversed..... and as rare as that option is i doubt it would be used on 100 hp plus rated tractors. 

9 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

I also bought a 4ft flail mower at the start of spring to replace my home built mower, it just wasn't up to the job. It's a massive upgrade for me and it can cut an acre of rushes in about 2 hours, vs about 6 hours per acre with my home built job.

When i saw yaw both back online (been waiting) i wanted to know how the homemade deal was working out..... Say it want cut the mustard ? Any plans for it ..... Later on when you get caught up..... Also my old cell crashed and lost a number of phone numbers (i know i know) that i should have writen down, so no rush, but would you mind sending me yours again ? Just PM it, and I'll send my new number, if you have this dead number saved go ahead and delete it from your cell 1-931-981-4699 it's dead.... Imdont think posting a dead cell phone number will be any danger online, but management take it out if need be. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

We have two both 4x4 dif lock sq front and back one 4 bsnger natural aspirated and one turbo 4 banger  ranging in power from about 60 to a hair over 100 hundred, both loadsr equipt i know the smaller model m6950 (4wd) she's powered by the 234 CID plant 

, and it's a pre chamber diesel ( has glow plugs) 42.9 kw (a stronge! 66 horse power plant) one of the features is the creep gear transmition in the low hole.... That would give fish a run for his money on his gear reduction honda..... Lol ..... She's super slow....lol!... In the lowest gear the speed (if you could call it that) 0.2 .......haha! You couldn't choke this tractor if you tried! ..... anyways those are becoming extremely popular here in the states..... They hardly ever give any trouble, and parts are available for the newer models, but there getting hard to locate for older tractors like (2,4wd models) the m5950 m6950 m7950, and m8950, no reverse pto, how ever that would be handy to have for SOME pto driven machines, BUT NOT ALL..... Because of the damage that WOULD happen to them if they reversed..... and as rare as that option is i doubt it would be used on 100 hp plus rated tractors. 

That's interesting @_Wilson_™!

you don't see a lot of old Kubota tractors here in the higher hp range, they tend to be relatively new. One thing I will say, anyone who has a machine with the kubota engine absolutely raves about them and how reliable they are. My 1 ton Hanix H09D digger has a 600cc Kubota engine, it's almost identical to the Kubota B6000's engine, it only gives about 12hp which is plenty for the size of both machines.

As far as I'm aware, Kubota had intended to expand their range of reverse PTO tractors in the 70's to differ from the standard PTO market of implements, but it was too tricky to reverse the mechanics of a lot of attachments aswell as costly, so it only ended up on the B6000 model as far as I'm aware (I could stand corrected on this).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

When i saw yaw both back online (been waiting) i wanted to know how the homemade deal was working out..... Say it want cut the mustard ? Any plans for it ..... Later on when you get caught up..... Also my old cell crashed and lost a number of phone numbers (i know i know) that i should have writen down, so no rush, but would you mind sending me yours again ? Just PM it, and I'll send my new number, if you have this dead number saved go ahead and delete it from your cell 1-931-981-4699 it's dead.... Imdont think posting a dead cell phone number will be any danger online, but management take it out if need be. 

The home made mower went well for about 18 months, then I met my now wife and she had 32 acres of rushes on the farm that needed cutting back. Of course I had to have a go lol! It took me about 2 days to cut ¾ of an acre with the mower and I went through 1 drive belt aswell. Its not built for anything taller than about 12 inches, it struggles to cut it and you're constantly stopped to allow the belts catch up again.

In its defence, it cuts grass very well in a paddock that needs topping.

Unfortunately due to the really good cut on the new flail mower, the old home made mower is surplus to requirements, as the flail gives a nicely cut all around.

I am in the middle of trying to figure out a way of re using the 17.5hp intek Briggs and stratton engine to build a home made log splitter as we process a fair bit of firewood on the farm and it would take a lot of time pressure off splitting by hand.

I'm open to suggestion for a hydraulic pack on a vertical shaft engine, I know you guys across the pond have a few models of there with them, but in Ireland/UK all the engines seem to be horizontal shaft. It would be a shame to sell the engine as it has a working electric start and frame thst I can remove from the old mower deck in 1 piece. Once I get the hydraulic pack sorted I can build a frame to hold the ram.

Pictures below of old vs new mower. Old is a twin drum mower, new is a 24 hammer flail mower with roller.

Screenshot_20221005-071530_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-071744_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

Does anybody know cab you get a hydraulic pump to fit onto a vertical shaft engine?

As far as making the drive connection , a  " Love Joy " coupler will do that , you can buy  a set with different shaft sizes if needed , as far as bolting it up , you can buy or fabricate a mounting bracket 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

It sure has @Fishfiles! I spent the past 12 months building a goat barn for my wife with whatever material we could afford. Its mainly new concrete floors with a land drain and manholes running under the shed to carry water from ditches along the fields above it. The roof is timber structure with corrugated steel sheeting and the existing side walls were clad with hit and miss timber for ventilation. We had our wedding reception in it to save on finances and it was worth it.

Looks like you been busy !!! 

Nice , I like goats , you'll goats look huge ( boers ??) , we had  pygmy / miniature goats ----  When we first moved here to Lacombe , I wanted to be a farmer , I bought two goats , 50 chickens , 10 guinea hens and a dozen non flying mallards , the goats multiplied  up to 10 , built a corral and shed for  them , then the predators started coming around , panthers , bobcats , coyotes , foxes , possums , hawks and owls , had one goat and 9 chickens when it was all over --- the only good thing came out of it was , the last goat name was BamBam like the Flintstones cartoon , and I gave him to the State Fair to be auctioned off to a good home ( I hoped ) , a little boy , about 10 , won the goat and was walking him around the fairgrounds on a rope and was a sight to see , don't know who was more proud of the other 

I like the looks of your excavator  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

That's interesting @_Wilson_™!

you don't see a lot of old Kubota tractors here in the higher hp range, they tend to be relatively new. One thing I will say, anyone who has a machine with the kubota engine absolutely raves about them and how reliable they are. My 1 ton Hanix H09D digger has a 600cc Kubota engine, it's almost identical to the Kubota B6000's engine, it only gives about 12hp which is plenty for the size of both machines.

As far as I'm aware, Kubota had intended to expand their range of reverse PTO tractors in the 70's to differ from the standard PTO market of implements, but it was too tricky to reverse the mechanics of a lot of attachments aswell as costly, so it only ended up on the B6000 model as far as I'm aware (I could stand corrected on this).

The B6000 and the Satoh Beaver are the only two with reverse rotation PTO's.

• Thanks 1