Turbo Twister

New to me 2002 TRX450 S

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

As far as making the drive connection , a  " Love Joy " coupler will do that , you can buy  a set with different shaft sizes if needed , as far as bolting it up , you can buy or fabricate a mounting bracket 

image.png

71lC-p7zn4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

As far as making the drive connection , a  " Love Joy " coupler will do that , you can buy  a set with different shaft sizes if needed , as far as bolting it up , you can buy or fabricate a mounting bracket 

image.png

This is great info, thank you very much! It probably won't get started until early next year as I've a lot of other jobs to knock on the head first, like tiling the floor of our new craft room (I don't enjoy tiling much) but I can do it reasonably well so we'll go with it lol

I will be asking plenty more questions about the splitter to you knowledgeable gentlemen at some stage!

• Like 2

@Fishfiles correct, we have a mix of boer and anglo nubian goats here and my wife is trying to get the purebred lines back into them. The boers are great for their meat and the nubians are great milkers. The nubians are very tall when fully grown, we have one fella who is about 7ft tall when he's on his back legs!

The digger has had a lot of ups and downs this year, one of the tracks gave a lot of problems as I couldn't find the problem (leaking grease nipple) for a long time and I ended up destroying a nearly new track as a result.

Then the exhaust snapped and I had a 10 week wait from Japan for a new one at a hefty price of £484 sterling plus vat!

When I got the exhaust fit, the cable for the front blade snapped (I temporarily used baler twine to pull the piston up so i could move the digger) and the throttle cable was also stiff, so 'touch wood' since I have replaced those parts, I can have a trouble free digger for another while, as it is super useful to have on and off the farm🤞

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 1

I have a 27 ton splitter with that same vertical shaft  set up , I'll try and remember to take some pics for you today , still dark:30 here ( 6:00am ) ---  I think the mounting  bracket  is on one side and the engine on the other ,  with the frame of the splitter sandwiched in between --- I have had it apart before , when  the rubber of the Love Joy broke up ,  my splitter is a 2005 model Troy-Bilt 27 ton vertical or horizontal on a trailer 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

@Fishfiles correct, we have a mix of boer and anglo nubian goats here and my wife is trying to get the purebred lines back into them. The boers are great for their meat and the nubians are great milkers. The nubians are very tall when fully grown, we have one fella who is about 7ft tall when he's on his back legs!

The digger has had a lot of ups and downs this year, one of the tracks gave a lot of problems as I couldn't find the problem (leaking grease nipple) for a long time and I ended up destroying a nearly new track as a result.

Then the exhaust snapped and I had a 10 week wait from Japan for a new one at a hefty price of £484 sterling plus vat!

When I got the exhaust fit, the cable for the front blade snapped (I temporarily used baler twine to pull the piston up so i could move the digger) and the throttle cable was also stiff, so 'touch wood' since I have replaced those parts, I can have a trouble free digger for another while, as it is super useful to have on and off the farm🤞

Know all about the pains of repairing equipment  ---- what brand and model " digger " do you have ? --- parts have been hard to get as of lately 

I should have never sold my Takeuchi TB-015 , I borrowed back for a couple of months ---   check out my landscape thread 

I know a lot of people who love to eat goat ,  they use to go for about $75-100 US , live on the hoof  round here , maybe a little more now since inflation hit , broiled in the oven with sweet potatoes , I have ate it and it is ok , I'd rank it right next to raccoon , LOL 

Good to see you back  !!! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have a 27 ton splitter with that same vertical shaft  set up , I'll try and remember to take some pics for you today , still dark:30 here ( 6:00am ) ---  I think the mounting  bracket  is on one side and the engine on the other ,  with the frame of the splitter sandwiched in between --- I have had it apart before , when  the rubber of the Love Joy broke up ,  my splitter is a 2005 model Troy-Bilt 27 ton vertical or horizontal on a trailer 

That would be great please, I love a challenge but we all need a little help sometimes. It gets bright here in Ireland at about 7am currently, and dark again about 7.15pm, the joys of winter huh!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Know all about the pains of repairing equipment  ---- what brand and model " digger " do you have ? --- parts have been hard to get as of lately 

I should have never sold my Takeuchi TB-015 , I borrowed back for a couple of months ---   check out my landscape thread 

I know a lot of people who love to eat goat ,  they use to go for about $75-100 US , live on the hoof  round here , maybe a little more now since inflation hit , broiled in the oven with sweet potatoes , I have ate it and it is ok , I'd rank it right next to raccoon , LOL 

Good to see you back  !!! 

It's a Hanix H09D, 0.9ton digger with extendable tracks in and out, it has the joysticks to either side of the seat like the bigger machines, I hate the sticks infront of me. I bought it last year for €11300 and have probably put the bones of another €1000 into it. It had 600 hours on the clock when I got it first and now has about 1400. I reckon it was an ex hire digger before that as the tracks were rotten from it being outside all the time. All the pins had to be replaced, although I didn't replace the wobbly quick hitch as it can be to your advantage when working on uneven ground. It doesn't work well with a hydraulic breaker, I reckon the pump isn't strong enough and it overheats, so I just use my Makita hand breaker instead.

What is the name of the landscape thread please?

We get on average, about €110/€120 for a 9 month old boer buck of approx 45kg in meat (about 90lbs?) Last years 2 that we sent off were a little less as they were late arrivals.

It's nice to be back😄

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

It doesn't work well with a hydraulic breaker, I reckon the pump isn't strong enough and it overheats, so I just use my Makita hand breaker instead.

What is the name of the landscape thread please?

I thought I linked the thread this morning , must have  forgot 

Some machines are plumbed where the return from the breaker is flowing  back into and thru the control valve , because if other auxiliary attachments  are used ,  you may need bi-directional flow , but with a hammer / hydraulic breaker you don't need bi-flow , in fact it is recommended to have the return hose unrestricted back to the tank , many machines have a valve to switch the return to the tank , some don't ---- Do you need to have bi-flow  to your aux for other attachments  ? if not then you might be able to get rid of the over heating problem by replumbing the flow --- other hydraulic overheating   problems could be , is there an oil cooler on the machine , is it clean for unrestricted tair flow , is the fan belt tight on the fan , are you using the correct weight of hydraulic oil , is there a accumulator on the breaker , it might be low of nitrogen , you can tell sometimes by the sound , does it hit extremely fast like a machine gun , if so it might be low 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hodge5 said:

The B6000 and the Satoh Beaver are the only two with reverse rotation PTO's.

If your Talking permanent  reverse....,i couldn't say, but i saw some post that mentioned those two units having the reversed driven, but there is an optional gear box to correct that reverse drive pto.... So i gather those two are Permanent reverse drive tractors least thats what i get from reading the post that  i did, but what i was talking about was the >>option<< to reverse the pto. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I should have never sold my Takeuchi TB-015 , I borrowed back for a couple of months ---  

Oh i recall this very well ^^^^^ especially when you had mentioned needing to rent a ditch witch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

If your Talking permanent  reverse....,i couldn't say, but i saw some post that mentioned those two units having the reversed driven, but there is an optional gear box to correct that reverse drive pto.... So i gather those two are Permanent reverse drive tractors least thats what i get from reading the post that  i did, but what i was talking about was the >>option<< to reverse the pto. 

They were designed with reverse rotation PTO's, and the intent was to make a line of implements that would work with them, but it didn't happen. There are gearboxes that can be installed on the PTO to reverse the reverse, but they are hard to come by and expensive. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

15DBA7A4-5570-442A-850A-E177500E5365.jpeg

6D02DEDF-962B-43FE-9C2C-FF26FE4BB6C7.jpeg

CBF9BA4B-2D20-4A2A-B8BF-20A7078C6566.jpeg

Just worked on the same model splitter, last week. Belongs to a friend. He was into a real bad knot, and he heard a loud bang and it stopped moving. Turned out the lovejoy coupling had grenaded.The spider was completely worn out, and the fingers had worn until they fractured. I thought that maybe the pump had locked, but it was fine. Both shafts were lined up, so we put new couplings in, and it splitting again.

IMG_0368.jpg

Edited by hodge5
  • Like 2

Fish yours and the cub cadet i borrowed from dennis look to have the same exact hydraulic setup, my 35ton is horizontal but I'd rather have am vertical shaft model,but i have NO complaints at all with that Kohlar engine, and samuk was right when he told me you'll really like that brand engine, danged if he didnt hit the nail straight on the head that Kohlar is 5plus times the engine then a briggs is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hodge5 said:

They were designed with reverse rotation PTO's, and the intent was to make a line of implements that would work with them, but it didn't happen. There are gearboxes that can be installed on the PTO to reverse the reverse, but they are hard to come by and expensive. 

Yeah i saw when turbo posted just about the same info..... Still doesn't add up, to make a small line of optional reverse pto equipment for such a small tractor ??  And the reason is you need enough power for the tractor it's self, then it's required to ALSO have enough power to run the equipment plus the tractor BOTH and how much torque /horse power were those two units offered in ? ? Those two reasons alone ...... Well, at least someone in company had a clue that, THAT idea would have been a massive financial mistake, there are several other reasons why that would not  have not worked  but those two should have been enough .... In other words you'd be expecting the tractor to do more work (require more horse power) from a machine that's limited for certain horse power requirements, for instants you wouldn't try and pull a 15 foot bush hog with a 30 horse power unit...... This is one reason so many farmers here in the states fold up,..... They try and get a particular machine to do  more then it's designed to do. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, Fishfiles said:

I thought I linked the thread this morning , must have  forgot 

Some machines are plumbed where the return from the breaker is flowing  back into and thru the control valve , because if other auxiliary attachments  are used ,  you may need bi-directional flow , but with a hammer / hydraulic breaker you don't need bi-flow , in fact it is recommended to have the return hose unrestricted back to the tank , many machines have a valve to switch the return to the tank , some don't ---- Do you need to have bi-flow  to your aux for other attachments  ? if not then you might be able to get rid of the over heating problem by replumbing the flow --- other hydraulic overheating   problems could be , is there an oil cooler on the machine , is it clean for unrestricted tair flow , is the fan belt tight on the fan , are you using the correct weight of hydraulic oil , is there a accumulator on the breaker , it might be low of nitrogen , you can tell sometimes by the sound , does it hit extremely fast like a machine gun , if so it might be low 

Interesting read. I'm not up to speed on that sort of stuff yet and I haven't really looked into the hydraulic unit as everything is literally on top of one another under the seat. It can be a pain to get at parts deep down, you have to remove a load of panels etc.

I don't recall the breaker hitting fast, it was a brand new one and I was first to use it. I got about 1 hour of breaking work done St a time, then I'd have to wait about an hour for the oil to cool, then maybe get another 15 mins. I got so frustrated by it that I went back to my Makita breaker which was quicker.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:57 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

Yes, permanent reverse on the B6000. The reverse gearbox for them over here is about €400/$450 ish plus postage. Since we only have a pto rotovator that bolts on to the back of the tractor and have no incentive to buy other implements, we won't be getting the reverse gearbox.

The 2 quads do I'd say 95% of the work I need done on the farm, from mowing and shifting small trailers of dung to firewood and checking on animals, so the tractor tends to be idle a fair bit.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:37 PM, Fishfiles said:

15DBA7A4-5570-442A-850A-E177500E5365.jpeg

6D02DEDF-962B-43FE-9C2C-FF26FE4BB6C7.jpeg

CBF9BA4B-2D20-4A2A-B8BF-20A7078C6566.jpeg

What size of an engine is on that @Fishfiles? I'm wondering if 17.5hp is too much or if I would need to run it full throttle due to its size? I assume it's a need for revolutionary speed to pump the hydraulic pack?

37 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

What size of an engine is on that @Fishfiles? I'm wondering if 17.5hp is too much or if I would need to run it full throttle due to its size? I assume it's a need for revolutionary speed to pump the hydraulic pack?

Pretty sure it is a 6.5 hp 

• Like 2

Just a question...... You will be towing this splitter to wherever the wood to be split is ? I may have over looked this, but you have some of the items you'll be needing wheels from that homemade cutter maybe even able to scavenge some steel  from it to build just the frame, and i think you said you'll be building the rail the hammer will be sliding on ? My thinking the rail will be the only thing that MIGHT?? give you slight troubles due to fatigue cracking in the weld joints, not saying your skills as a welder lack, but I've seen the best welds crack....call it nature of the beast.. Lol, and! ....... Are you going to try and make this a both vertical, and horizontal ? Or just horizontal ? mine is oth, and i have to say when i was doing wood vertical was very handy for those really green big heavy logs, you still had to wrestle them ..... But better then trashing your back etc from trying to lift those big heavy suckers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Just a question...... You will be towing this splitter to wherever the wood to be split is ? I may have over looked this, but you have some of the items you'll be needing wheels from that homemade cutter maybe even able to scavenge some steel  from it to build just the frame, and i think you said you'll be building the rail the hammer will be sliding on ? My thinking the rail will be the only thing that MIGHT?? give you slight troubles due to fatigue cracking in the weld joints, not saying your skills as a welder lack, but I've seen the best welds crack....call it nature of the beast.. Lol, and! ....... Are you going to try and make this a both vertical, and horizontal ? Or just horizontal ? mine is oth, and i have to say when i was doing wood vertical was very handy for those really green big heavy logs, you still had to wrestle them ..... But better then trashing your back etc from trying to lift those big heavy suckers. 

I plan to use the old floatation tyres on the new mower in fact, as the wheels currently on it are quite small and they tend to dig into the ground a bit. I might use the smaller ones from the mower on the splitter then. I will only be using the splitter around the farm yes, which is 32 acres in total so the furthest distance it would be moving is about half a mile in any direction from the farm yard.

For the main beam of the splitter, I had planned to buy an RSJ? I don't fancy having that thing crack and I wouldn't trust my welds on that particular part of the splitter 😅

I hadn't really thought about vertical or horizontal to be honest, I was thinking mainly horizontal as the timber we have on the farm isn't massive, maybe 16 inches at most? I also think it might complicate the build if I try to swivel it? (In the past, if I ever have a big ring too heavy to lift, I just cut it into slices with the big saw first and it's easier to move about then.

The current frame the engine is built on can be lifted off the mower frame so I had planned to use it as is and build it onto the splitter (the electrical works for starting and running the engine, battery and even fuel tank are all attached to it as far as I remember). 

• Like 1

Today, I brought the old mower deck into the shed and the engine started right up on the second attempt which was great, as it had been sitting under a tarp for several months outside due to lack of space inside.

I have now removed the engine to be up cycled to the log splitter. You can see from the pic, the new flail mower is approximately 49% bigger, although the engine isn't as powerful. It's a 420cc Loncin engine (almost identical to a Honda GX engine).

For comparison and scale, the floatation tyres of the old mower up against the new mower wheels, I'll definitely be swapping them out over the winter and will probably swap the wheel arms so that each wheel sits outside the mower (they are interchangeable left to right and vice versa for mowing tight to a fence or open field mowing).

20221007_115311.jpg

20221007_121533.jpg

20221007_121559.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys! I started stripping down the front of the bike this evening to replace the breather pipes and have a good look at everything up front.

For a start, whoever bolted the frame back together clearly forgot to tighten everything up (it was for the majority, hand loose). Anywho, I have the 2 rear breather pipes replaced and am working on the front ones, but I can't see where they fit on the back of the front hubs? I'm thinking the tips that should be there have rusted away or been broken off. Has anyone got a picture to show where they should be? Pic attached is what it currently looks like plus a close up of the poor repair job they did on the front drive mount.

16655199145222948545302958950560.jpg

166551994904251978216550682263.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

Has anyone got a picture to show where they should be?

16655199145222948545302958950560.jpg

166551994904251978216550682263.jpg

Both my 450s are disc in the back and front , no vents , but I have the old backing plates in the shed , if no one can come up with a pic for you , I can dig them out , I'd bet there is a pic in the service manual , do you have one ??? Do you need a link to one ?? 

I have repaired the vent tubes on differentials before , by drilling the broken piece out then tapping the tube back in , usually it is stuck inside the end of the hose 

• Thanks 1