450S

Hello all!

Recently purchased my first ATV, 2000 Honda Foreman TRX450S. Looks like this site will be very helpful in getting it working.  Looking forward to interacting with you all, Thanks!

• Like 5

Welcome! Great first atv! How mch do you know about it?

download the service manual from the forum folder titled service manuals

use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Only buy OEM parts 

Welcome to ATVHonda ----- 2000 TRX450S is a good one ----  which one you got ,   they came in 3 factory colors , ketchup / red , mustard / yellow  or most common  relish / green , we like pics 

It is yellow.  The guy I bought it from said it needed a stator but I have tested that and there is nothing wrong with it or the rectifier.  I did get the service manual and the wiring diagram has been invaluable.  The alternator cover had been off and the pickup coil had been replaced but he put it back together with the neutral switch backwards so the starter solenoid would not engage but I fixed that already.  Then I found a broken timing chain adjuster and the timing had jumped, the cam was about a quarter turn off.  It still had 180 PSI compression but would spit fuel back out of the carb when trying to start.  I have the parts on order, going to replace the piston and rings because the piston is right at the minimum diameter allowed in the service manual. Luckily the cylinder looks good.  My next problem is the brakes, the front had no brake shoes in them and the back is corroded stuck and the o-ring grove is broken off in several places from someone prying to get the drum off.  I need to find a rear brake backing plate but no luck so far.

Hi , if you go with rear disc you don't need or use a backing plate >>>>  how much would you think was a good deal on a backing plate ?

• Like 1

I have found a couple for 150 to 180 but still looking for something cheaper. I looked into the disc conversion but it said it requires 12” or larger wheels and mine are 11” so that makes it much more expensive

1 hour ago, 450S said:

I have found a couple for 150 to 180 but still looking for something cheaper. I looked into the disc conversion but it said it requires 12” or larger wheels and mine are 11” so that makes it much more expensive

then you got the wrong rims on it !. that model requires 25x8x12 on front, and 25x10x12 on rear. just a fyi: the backing plate from a trx350 rancher, trx400fm foreman will be a direct swap for the rear brake backing plate if you can not find one for a trx450fm ?. p.s. welcome to the forums !.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 450S said:

Would a $100 donation to the forum operation fund sound fair ------  that would be with shipping 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Would a $100 donation to the forum operation fund sound fair ------  that would be with shipping 

Are you saying there is a backing plate available for a $100 donation? Yes I would be happy to donate.

11 minutes ago, 450S said:

Are you saying there is a backing plate available for a $100 donation? Yes I would be happy to donate.

Yes. I have the ones that were taken off my 450s to do the  disk conversation.   Don’t really want to sell. But I’ll pass the wealth along and help the site at the same time. Going to a party this evening.  Can take a pic tomorrow of the backing plates and if you like it we can figure out the rest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Yes. I have the ones that were taken off my 450s to do the  disk conversation.   Don’t really want to sell. But I’ll pass the wealth along and help the site at the same time. Going to a party this evening.  Can take a pic tomorrow of the backing plates and if you like it we can figure out the rest. 

Sounds great to me, Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just re-read your post and you said plates, plural, which makes me think you mean front, but I need the rear brake backing plate, just to be clear and not waste your time.

Just now, 450S said:

I just re-read your post and you said plates, plural, which makes me think you mean front, but I need the rear brake backing plate, just to be clear and not waste your time.

I have two rear plates , probably have a couple of more besides those two 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

]

8Bqz+mEESoeoLBFB6fS3Jg.jpg

Looks perfect, please message me the details about where to make the donation!

• Like 1

Ok so the one in the pic with the brake arm attached is like what you need?  

Yes exactly, on mine someone broke most of the o-ring groove for the cover off trying to pry the drum off so water got inside and destroyed it

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Pm me with your shipping address ----  let's ask @jeepwm69 what is the best why to donate to the site these days

Go to home page of the forum here, click on the "donate" button at the top, and it will give you the option of using paypal or a debit/CC to make a donation.  I haven't ever used the card option, always use paypal.

@450S you'll notice we don't have any ads here.  VerticalScope bought all the old forums we used to be on and ruined them with spam/ads/malware, so we all ended up here and just made our own forum ( @retro did all the work).

Anyhow, we run 100% on donations, and have no interest in turning a profit.  Just a place to hang out and talk ATV's  (and lots of other stuff).

I keep the books, and donations/ expenses, and current balances are reported monthly in one of the subforums on the home page.

We all tend to help each other out when we can if someone needs a part, as you've discovered.

• Like 1