450S

Hello all!

I want to say thanks to @Goober , as he sent and I just received some 300 parts , which included something I really needed to finish the blue 300 that I gave my son in law ,   Goober sent me a  brand new master rebuild kit and a good used plunder and  carb primer ----  @shadetree  calls it " passing it on " --- me and Jeep have swapped out parts a few times now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

👍🏻I have more 300 bits if you need them. Leftover from light restoration of my 93FW

A19AE048-8971-4998-BF70-2AB0D8825AA7.jpeg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 450S said:

Ok the donation has been made and the address pm sent, Thanks again!

Thank you for helping support the board!   Now get your rig fixed and stick around!

• Like 4

Sent you the tracking  number as a PM ---------  he said you would get it in Wednesday ------ the one with the brake arm in the pic has a broken screw in the cover and the brake pivot cam was frozen , so I sent you the other one , much better condition , cam free and smooth , all the threads for cover in good shape , o-ring groove in good shape , sent you the cover also 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@450S  

I just  checked on that tracking number that I sent you

Latest Update

Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 1:02 pm on October 19, 2022 in .......................... 

• Like 3

@Fishfiles

Yes sir, I did receive the backing plate today and it is in better shape than I expected,  You are awesome and I cannot thank you enough!

• Like 5

Well my rear brake backing plate problems persist.  I finally got around to trying to replace the backing plate today but when I disassembled everything, I found that mine is quite different that the replacement one.

On mine the brake shoes mount to two posts and the replacement backing plate does not have these posts, so the new brake shoes will not fit.  Thinking I might just be able to find different brake shoes and still make the replacement backing plate work I continued trying to mount it to the axle housing, but I found that the bolt pattern is quite different between the two backing plates.  I didn't waste time measuring the bearing sizes to see if they were the same.  So it looks like this backing plate is off of some other year or more likely size than the 450.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

I am thinking I might just have to try and get the old backing plate welded up around the o-ring groove and see how well I can shape it with a dremel or a small cut-off wheel in a grinder.

Anyone else ever have to do this?  Any other ideas?

Edited by 450S

Post a few pics of your rear end.  The one without posts is, I believe, maybe a 300 backing plate. 

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Post a few pics of your rear end.  The one without posts is, I believe, maybe a 300 backing plate. 

yep, no post..means its prob a trx300 backing plate.

1 hour ago, 450S said:

Well my rear brake backing plate problems persist.  I finally got around to trying to replace the backing plate today but when I disassembled everything, I found that mine is quite different that the replacement one.

On mine the brake shoes mount to two posts and the replacement backing plate does not have these posts, so the new brake shoes will not fit.  Thinking I might just be able to find different brake shoes and still make the replacement backing plate work I continued trying to mount it to the axle housing, but I found that the bolt pattern is quite different between the two backing plates.  I didn't waste time measuring the bearing sizes to see if they were the same.  So it looks like this backing plate is off of some other year or more likely size than the 450.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

I am thinking I might just have to try and get the old backing plate welded up around the o-ring groove and see how well I can shape it with a dremel or a small cut-off wheel in a grinder.

Anyone else ever have to do this?  Any other ideas?

in the past, i have used jb weld on the backing plate to build up the area where the large o-ring sits in. then smoothed it down with my dremel tool. pretty easy to do. DO NOT TRY TO WELD ANYTHING TO THE BACKING PLATE !!..its not something that takes to welding.

Tomorrow I will dig thru backing plates >>>>  so in the pic  , you need  one to match the one in the middle ? 

image.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Tomorrow I will dig thru backing plates >>>>  so in the pic  , you need  one to match the one in the middle ? 

image.png

Yes sir, the one in the middle is the original.

Good info here.  I thought pretty much all the backing plates had the same bolt pattern where they attach, but in this thread we learn the 300 is different.

If Fishfiles can't get you a good one, I can dig and see what I have in the stash.  We won't leave you hanging.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Here are the pics for you.  I am afraid it looks like water has been inside the housing, look at the last picture and see the rust on the shaft inside.

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

I got you a backing plate, worked me , the shoes were frozen on the pivot pins , the cam was frozen in the plate ---- need to get a box and package it up   

VSj3zYEBRjqw26y3PpQPtQ.jpg

LfpmARj8RRu5Rw0S7KUVoQ.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got you a backing plate, worked me , the shoes were frozen on the pivot pins , the cam was frozen in the plate ---- need to get a box and package it up   

VSj3zYEBRjqw26y3PpQPtQ.jpg

LfpmARj8RRu5Rw0S7KUVoQ.jpg

I am going to be sending you back the first one, perhaps you can help someone else out with it in the future.  I would be happy to cover the shipping of the second one, just not sure how to do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Good info here.  I thought pretty much all the backing plates had the same bolt pattern where they attach, but in this thread we learn the 300 is different.

If Fishfiles can't get you a good one, I can dig and see what I have in the stash.  We won't leave you hanging.

Here is a pic of the back side of the plates for reference.

The bottom one is the original 2000 TRX450S, there is also a slight difference in the clocking angle of the cable mount.

IMG_0443.JPG

3 minutes ago, 450S said:

I am going to be sending you back the first one, perhaps you can help someone else out with it in the future.  I would be happy to cover the shipping of the second one, just not sure how to do that.

Don't worry about sending it back , the offer  was payment , your good ! 

I mailed you another backing plate at !0:30 this morning , he said 2 days to you , hope this one works out ----  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2