Diver1955

Rancher 350 carb float height?

How do I measure float height on Rancher 350. I know the height needs to be 18.5 mm but not sure of exact way to measure it. I know you measure from bowl rim to float top but having trouble deciding on the correct way to hold carb so float is in the correct orientation. My carb started leaking out of the overflow so I got a Shindy kit and rebuilt it but still leaks. I checked the bowl for leaking from the overflow tube where it is inserted in the bowl as well as the drain screw. Float "floats" and has no leaks. Just gat a new float? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

You need to polish the seat that the float needle sits in. Q tip and whatever you can find to polish it (toothpaste, metal polishers, lapping compound, etc.) It might take a few times but you can usually get it clean enough for the needle to seat again. The float is plastic so there is no adjusting that. If you could you would just hold the float in the neutral position (just touching on the needle) to get the measurement.

• Like 1

If the seat is really scared up , put that Q-Tip in a rechargeable drill and polish the !!!! out of it 

So I used a Q-tip and some compound that I use to strop my carving knives to a mirror finish in a drill and polished the seat to a bright brass finish, it was quite well coated with residue from the gas ( I use ethanol free gas). Still leaks bad. Decided to replace carb. Found a decent price for an OEM Honda carb at PowersportsAuthority.com with free same day shipping.The machine is 16 and other than oil and filter changes has had no work needed, it owes me nothing. Thanks for the advice.

IMG_7649.JPG

• Like 1

Did you use a high quality float valve? These early rancher carbs seem to be finicky about float valve seats. 

27 minutes ago, Goober said:

Did you use a high quality float valve? These early rancher carbs seem to be finicky about float valve seats. 

i used the one that came in the Shindy kit. 

It sometimes takes a few times but a new carb will defiantly fix it. It's more common on the 400/450 foremans but I have seen it on the rancher where the pin holding the float in place wears into the carb body and then it doesn't matter what you do the float height will never be correct.

My neighbor has a 400 Rancher AT that probably doesn’t have 300 miles on it.  He called me yesterday asking about his leaking.  Same issue.

55 minutes ago, Diver1955 said:

It’s too bad you can’t replace the seat itself. 

That would be nice  >>>  On the older Briggs carbs , there were replaceable needle valve seats , there is a special tool , looks like a cross between a E-Z-out and a puller that gets them out 

A Q-Tip swab  with toothpaste works , if it is really bad then a drill with that Q-Tip