Macarena Man

Choke/'99 450 Foreman S

Removed the carb for cleaning, and disengaged the choke cable from the handlebar lever to let lube seep down the cable.

Put everything back together and now find that the choke is very hard to use.

It won't stay in the closed position and wants to 'spring back' to the open position.

The choke is smooth and free in the carb.

It's something I've missed in re-assembly of the choke/cable . . .

Any ideas welcome,

Thanks

MM

I have 300s and 450s , the choke will stay where you put it on some of them and others it will spring back off ,  if you don't hold the lever with your thumb , which way is correct I can't really say ,  I like it when it spring back to choke off when you let go , I very seldom need the choke around here 

• Like 1

Weird.  Wonder if it's stretching the cable a bit and needs adjustment?

The TRX250 I had a while back did that.  It was very annoying.

The newer machines like my 500 Foremans and Rubicons have a knob you pull, and under that knob is a rubber boot over a plastic nut, and you can turn the nut and it will tighten things up where the knob stays pulled out.

• Like 2

The choke worked as it should until I messed with it.

Will pull it off once more and have another look . . . . 

I just tried the choke lever on every Atv I got. Out of 9. The lever of 6 stayed where I put. Two are stuck.  Lol.   Only one was smooth and wouldn’t hold.  

there is a steel clip that adjust the cable length.  Do you know about that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I just tried the choke lever on every Atv I got. Out of 9. The lever of 6 stayed where I put. Two are stuck.  Lol.   Only one was smooth and wouldn’t hold.  

there is a steel clip that adjust the cable length.  Do you know about that.  

Just put everything back together with the steel clip in the shortest cable position.  Still have to hold the choke lever for start-up. Head scratcher for sure.

So it want's to shut the choke off on it's own? The original description said it wanted to go to the open position and to me with an SE valve that said choked. The choke lever has little "clicks" that are probably worn down (the spring isn't pushing it out far enough) on top of the rubber on the SE valve being worn so there is no resistance to let it hold. That should make it easy to use instead of hard though unless that just meant for the user and not the operation of the choke. If the lever is hard to move then that spring or the housing is probably worn and nothing is perfectly inline anymore causing a little binding under pressure.

Is the SE valve sticking in the bore? I’ve had some do this when the valve oring swells a little. 

my Harley softail does it all the time!! I lubed the cable and changed the SE valve. Even worse now lol

Edited by Goober

Maybe the fuel enrichment plunger's o-ring is worn out and the friction pressure on the plunger is what actually helps hold  cable and  then the lever in place 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe the fuel enrichment plunger's o-ring is worn out and the friction pressure on the plunger is what actually helps hold  cable and  then the lever in place 

Thinking you guys are on the right track . . . . will pull it apart again and check the plunger/0-ring.

Appreciate the help!

MM

Mystery indeed . . . 

Removed choke cable at the carb. Removed plunger, cleaned bore, plunger, spring . . . cable is free and lubed.

Assembled cable as before, but not attached to the carb.  Still very stiff, like the spring isn't seated, but it is. 

Feels like the plunger spring is too long.

Sorry to bother you guys  . . . . 😕