TP4MYBUNGHOLE

1985 250r advise

Hey I found my holy grail bike finally a water cooled 250r what should I look for that’s a problem with these bikes like frame issues suspension issues or anything that would make it not worth it 

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I know nothing about that machine, but am chiming in to see if anyone else does.

i just know they are 2-strokes..and a death wish !..lol.

• Like 1

I doubt they are worse than any other machine that old.  If you want it bad enough, & you may not get another chance to own one, just get it IMO. Any issue would be worth it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

I doubt they are worse than any other machine that old.  If you want it bad enough, & you may not get another chance to own one, just get it IMO. Any issue would be worth it.

Well they do make ever single part for it still due to it being so popular in racing back in the day so I’m not worried I just don’t know if they have any issues like the tri z’s burning out 3rd gear all the time you know common ! 

I would suggest going over the normal stuff. Make sure it hasnt thrown a chain and cracked the cases. Always remove the case saver if the seller will allow. If not get in there with a flash light. I always do a compression test on any 2 stroke i look at. If the seller wont let you do that make 100% sure they havent started and warmed it up before you get there. Witness a cold start. I have legit turned and walked from a deal when the seller wouldnt do this. 250r's arent a problematic machine. But at its age anything could be worn out. Check carrier bearings and all the front end parts for excessive looseness. I would put the quad up on the back grab bar and look closely at the frame. 250r's almost every single one was raced at some point. Cracks and bent frames are common in racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

I would suggest going over the normal stuff. Make sure it hasnt thrown a chain and cracked the cases. Always remove the case saver if the seller will allow. If not get in there with a flash light. I always do a compression test on any 2 stroke i look at. If the seller wont let you do that make 100% sure they havent started and warmed it up before you get there. Witness a cold start. I have legit turned and walked from a deal when the seller wouldnt do this. 250r's arent a problematic machine. But at its age anything could be worn out. Check carrier bearings and all the front end parts for excessive looseness. I would put the quad up on the back grab bar and look closely at the frame. 250r's almost every single one was raced at some point. Cracks and bent frames are common in racing.

Yea that’s what I figured common ! luckily I’m meeting him and he has to come home from work for lunch so I’m gonna leave a little early grab lunch and wait in his driveway eat lunch till he shows up so I definitely will get a cold start 

0C7BD2C6-162A-4F5A-A8C3-A04BB8F43520.jpeg

17 hours ago, TP4MYBUNGHOLE said:

Well they do make ever single part for it still due to it being so popular in racing back in the day so I’m not worried I just don’t know if they have any issues like the tri z’s burning out 3rd gear all the time you know common ! 

Funny you say that, the 84 i had for a little bit had the fork bent for 3rd gear in it 😆