stevestever

2021 Honda TRX 420 FA Won't Start

My TRX 420 will crank, but not start. I drained and replaced the fuel, replaced the spark plug. There is not gas on the spark plug. I removed the gas line from the injector thinking if I tried to start it and the pump is working, fuel should come out. None did. I hear a click and low hum when I turn on the key. Now I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump relay? I've see this can be a problem with these atv's. Can anyone give me a clue where the relay would be? I searched replacement parts and cant seem to find what I saw pictured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, stevestever said:

My TRX 420 will crank, but not start. I drained and replaced the fuel, replaced the spark plug. There is not gas on the spark plug. I removed the gas line from the injector thinking if I tried to start it and the pump is working, fuel should come out. None did. I hear a click and low hum when I turn on the key. Now I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump relay? I've see this can be a problem with these atv's. Can anyone give me a clue where the relay would be? I searched replacement parts and cant seem to find what I saw pictured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

the relay will be back near the battery. the 420's are prone to bad fuel pumps.

Welcome aboard.

Shot of starter fluid in the intake fire it off?  If so, run a jumper wire from the + on the battery to the red/black wire on the coil (just pull the connector back a hair so you can get the jumper wire on the terminal, don't unplug the wire)

If it doesn't run then, either your fuel pump is shot (likely) or your injector is clogged.

If it's been sitting, especially with ethanol gas in it, fuel pump is likely seized.

The 2019/2020 had an update for the fuel pump but if yours is a 2021 model it wouldn't be in that. The relays are under the tank cover and I would have to look in the manual to determine which one is for the fuel pump. If you can hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key on it should be getting power though and that would make me think fuel pump. Checking the power going to the fuel pump would confirm that.

• Like 1

Found the relay, and it seems to be getting power. We are going to look at the fuel pump tonight and see if it is seized. Thanks for the comments.